It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User
It's been a while...

Same old 10mg/tid Opana..... I'm sort of functional but also slightly miserable as it feels I've been thoroughly tolerant for some time now......

Gee, which way to go? More dose? Doc is wary....

So, I'm going the other way, slow taper. So I call and ask for generic IR Oxymorphone so I can have flexibility in splitting pills and starting a slow taper... good plan right!

So, the nurse calls and says come and pick up your new Oxycontin 10mg/bid.... I'm like "Huh?" You want to put me on a different narcotic, and cut my (effective) dose by more than half?

Stressful, so I write a long winded portal message to the office saying no, Oxycontin doesn't work for me, plus i don't want an ER med right now, Oxymorphone lasts plenty long at tid dosing, just give me what I want I have my own damn plan!

When I go in on Monday they better not hand me a script for Oxycontin!

Argghh.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: It's been a while...

Iso,

ummm...what is your plan? What will you do when you taper off the Opana, are you stopping PM meds for now?

kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User

Not sure what my plan is..... The Narcs were an experiment for my GI distress -yes they work to slow the system and provide some pain relief but I'm in that uncomfortable zone of taking a moderate dose already and still needing more -yet feeling that I will be getting too loopy for work.

I have no choice but to face the reality of these contradictions... The doc has been renewing the Opana with no qualms until now, and suddenly he wants me on a crash course taper........ It's CYA on his part, can't let a guy float along on 30mg/d of Oxymorphone forever when he's in his 40's, gotta reign him in etc....

That's the deal for now

Old 06-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

The reality is -I could probably taper off of everything and be fine, just different. I would have more distress in some ways but in others I would probably be better off -as in mental acuity! I've really been a half-bake ever since starting on this crap a few years ago.

Big picture -maybe a good idea to taper out for a year or so, see what happens, right? Can always start back in if it's unbearable, right?

Old 06-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Yep, they'll always be there, maybe something better by then.....I just hate to think of you being in pain that whole time.

I'd forgotten that you were kind of new at this and you still felt the loopyness of the meds....I don't even remember what that's like it's been so many years.

you still gonna hang with us here?

kat

Old 06-04-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Kat-

I don't notice the loopy-ness as much as others do; they say I have a flat affect, I'm forgetful, and sort of checked out. And I don't doubt it.

There is just no free ride! Dang! There will always be a trade off...... Currently my tolerance is right up there - high... The Opana is pretty subtle so it's more like you've said in the past -feels like I'm taking a 'Normal' more than anything else. The problem is if I forget or run out -bam, I'm in a bad place quickly. Not good.

Anyway, doc wrote back, apologized for misunderstanding, has new IR Oxymorphone script waiting, says taper at my own pace just let him know.

Wish me luck*

Last edited by Isotope; 06-04-2011 at 07:34 PM.

Closed Thread