It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2011, 11:58 PM   #1
(male)

gonebackwards HB User
gonebackwards

In January I was given facet joint injections for severe arthritis between L4-L5. The dr giving the injection inserted the needle 10 to 15 times. One insertion made me jerk with pain. It helped but less than one month later I experienced level 9 sciatica pain down my right leg. Diagnosed symptomatically as a blown disk. I was told it would improve in 3 weeks or I could get an epidural. Gradually improved for 3 months but rapidly degraded for a month. Back to the dr. and the x ray showed I now have severe spondylolisthesis of L4 with a torn disk. Fusion surgery was prescribed. Could the multiple insertions from the facet injection have caused the disk rupture and vertebra displacement. Thanks for any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2011, 12:34 AM   #2
(male)

Brokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB User
Re: gonebackwards

I would think anything is possible, but I'm no doctor, so...

I just had an MRI due to new and acute pain after a facet injection. It showed a damaged nerve that wasn't there prior to the injection. After saying for months that the pain got worse instead of better, refused further medication due to not being compliant and submitting to more injections, I feel that I finally have the proof that the injection really did do more harm than good.

But guess what. I signed the consent form to have it done and there is nothing I can do about it. Doctor's advice? Another injection to numb the newly damaged nerve.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2011, 10:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User

Well, I'm no doctor either but I really don't see how the facet injections could cause the spondylolisthesis. I've had this problem since I was in jr. high school (I'm now 50) and it's more of a mechanical problem. Not sure how the facet injections could make it worse? I've had these before too;8-10 on each side of my back. I could be wrong; hopefully others will chime in here?...janiee

Old 06-05-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

well let me tell you what happened to me when when i agreed to facet injections, first of all it hurt like heck and i practically jumped off tabble and dr told me this was "normal" and i limped out of office and he also gave me rx for percocet 10/325. later that nite the pain grew more and more intense and i was in tears-i then found that i could not walk at all and was in full panick and called 911 an when thay got there i explaine that my dr did some injections into my back an the pain is getting worse and worse and i cannot walk at all, so they took me by ambulance to hospital n i was practically screaming in tears with each jolt of the bumps on the way, they gave me valium and dilauid via dr's order via radio during ride to hospital, i was delirious in pain when we arrived to hospital and was admitted for 4 days on a pain pump=it was really bad pain

Closed Thread