It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
(male)

workingman917 HB User
pancreatitis

Hello all I was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis in december when I woke up one morning with a terrible pain in my abdomen. Spent a week in the hospital and was diagnosed with pancreatitis. I was informed and told not to drink and being young and immature(24) I thought I could slip a beer or a drink in here and there which eventually led me back in the hospital for three days. Since then I stopped drinking for a while and one night at a graduation party had a few drinks which led to more drinks which led to pain but no hospital. I have now been sober since that day but I do have pain that comes here and there. When I went for a scan and bloodwork I saw my file and it said chronic pancreatitis. I am going to see a new doctor on the 21st. It seems like their is nothing much that can be done here but start eating better and NO DRINKING AT ALL. I only have my fathers insurance(which is a great insurance) until I am 26 which is 2 years from now. I really want to get the pancreas looked at to see how much damage I have done from drinking heavily since I was 19 years old. I was reading that I should maybe look into getting a contrast-enhanced pancreatic CT scan. Also what are thoughts on oxycodone and roxicet when you are diagnosed with pancreatitis? Sometimes I take these if I am in a little pain but read these might not be good for you if you have pancreatitis as well. What is the mortality rate from pancreatitis? How long do people normally live with this disease? Now that I have a little more informed I still get no definitive answers from doctors or gastros they all say the same thing which is eat healthy and do not drink. I still would like to know more. Thanks for any comments in advance.

Brian

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2011, 10:05 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: pancreatitis

Okay I can only answer a few of your questions. I believe that pancreatitis is not cureable, it is manageable though, through diet and meds. As far as taking Oxycodone and Roxy's when your only in a little pain....thats way overdoing it. Heavy narcotics are dependance causing drugs if you take them for long periods of time. You also get used to them over time as your tolerance increases, so you have to take more and more to do the job. This is not a scenario you want to get into to control "a little pain". These kinds of meds are meant for chronic conditions which cause major pain, we're talking 8, 9, 10 on a scale of 1 - 10, all day everyday. So you should really think about that.

good luck,

kat

Closed Thread