It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2011, 08:00 AM   #1
(female)

ncmommakat HB Userncmommakat HB Userncmommakat HB User
time for change

I have been on percs 7.5 for the past few years with changes in my LA med from time to time to keep tolerance down. Currently on Opana ER 10 mg 2x day with up to 4 percs as needed for BT pain. The tylemol is starting to upset my stomoch sometimes plus I am taking Tamoxifen for 5 years for breast cancer . How prudent would it be to ask for Oxycodone as opposed to percocet at next appointment. GREAT Doc btw, she even asked if meds are holding pain at bay. They are but it is the tylenol I am concerned about

Arthritis spine both knees shoulder
DDD spine
Sacralitis

Last edited by ncmommakat; 06-22-2011 at 08:15 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to ncmommakat:
walkingtall (06-24-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User
Re: time for change

First off...I hope and pray that you are in recovery for the Breast Cancer!..One of my best friends will be 5 years in remission next month!

I was on Percocet for years and the acetaminophen started upsetting my stomach a lot as well...I was well below the daily max for this...it was purely based on the nausea...

I switched over to 5mg OxyIR (generic as it's very cheap and I am self pay)...and literally within a week...I felt so much better!...I can take up to 8 a day (40mg), if needed, but they are for Breakthrough pain and I use on a 'as needed' basis...(I checked with my Pharmacy to see what the 10mg cost, but 120 of those is more expensive than the 240 of the 5mg because of the generic one's they carry)

The good part with this is I can add a Tylenol or an Advil if needed for an issue like a fever...or for inflammation....so I like having the choice for that if I ever need those...

There is also Roxicodone which is another name for a short acting oxycodone medicine as well depending on what dosage the Dr. wants to put you on...

I wish you luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2011, 08:30 AM   #3
(female)

What is would be the equivalent of 7.5 percs to oxycodone ? Would it be a higher mg or lower ?

Old 06-22-2011, 08:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

It is exactly the same medicine...Percocet is Oxycodone and Acetaminophen....

So if you were taking a 7.5/325 Percocet...it was 7.5 mg of Oxycodone in each pill and the 325mg is the amount of Acetaminophen...

So if you were taking 4 a day of the Percocet, then you are taking 30mg total of the Oxycodone, and will go to 30mg of plain Oxycodone..

I was on 40mg total of Percocet a day...now I am on 40mg of OxyIR a day...(up to 8 a day of the 5mg pills)

Oxycodone is Oxycodone whether it's in Percocet, OxyIR, Roxicodone, or Oxycontin...

Your Dr. will explain it to you if I am too confusing...LOL..

Last edited by Ilovemycutedog; 06-22-2011 at 08:41 AM.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
(female)

I didn't know if the tylenol had an added benefit for pain and maybe I would take LESS Oxy. I guess I would ahve to go up to 10 mgs since they only come in 5 and 10 mg i think. they MAY make a 7.5 Oxyir

Old 06-22-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

The Acetaminophen does give some people some extra pain relief...but for me...I couldn't tell one bit of difference without it except having no nausea...

I went from the 7.5 to the 5mg...but my total 24hour dosage didn't change...still up to 40mg a day allowed.

That's why I was saying if you take 4 a day now of the 7.5...you have been taking 30mg a day...

So you could be on the 5mg OxyIR and take up to 6 a day of these to equal the 30mg...Or if you have insurance (and cost doesn't matter to you)...then you could go on the 10mg Oxycodone at 3 a day to equal the 30mg..

I don't think they make a 7.5mg OxyIR pill but you can ask your Pharmacy...

As I mentioned...if you ever want to add a Tylenol or Advil in later on...you can...that is what is good about taking the plain Oxycodone...having a choice and not having the acetaminophen in every single dose..

Old 06-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
(female)

konagirl222 HB Userkonagirl222 HB Userkonagirl222 HB User

Oxycodone tablets (as opposed to the LA Oxycontin tablets) have scored lines and can be cut in half. Taking a 5mg tablet plus 1/2 of another 5 mg tablet would give you a total dose of 7.5mg you currently use. Your pharmacy should have pill cutters for sale which help to cut the tablet accurately. Just a suggestion.....

KG

Old 06-23-2011, 10:08 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

I take the 15 mg. Oxycodone CAPSULES. I have 5mg.-a few left because I am on 15 mg. of it now. My doctor said that they don't make a 10.mg one. It goes from 5 to 15 mg. I don't know if that was the generic or what. I will be switching to the 15. mg capsules as the tablets cause me to perspire so much. My pharmacist recommended the capsules. She said there is less change of the side effects.....

Old 06-24-2011, 05:45 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

i am prescribed 10mg oxycodone and morphine sulphate ir 30mg-i interchange them and taking them like that really helps the really tough bt pain, i also take ms contin 100 mg er 3 times a day. the 10 mg oxycodone equals 1 of the msir 30 mg, it has taken alot of trial and error to get to what works best for me.

Closed Thread