It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
(female)

Megan R HB User
Neurontin for Pain?

Hi everyone,

I have a foot birth defect called a tarsal coalition. It's basically an extra bone in both my feet, and it required surgery to remove it. Now, my feet have severe pain to the point it's hard to walk. My doctor has tried everything. All my MRIs come clear, yet I have pain! I had my surgery when I was 10, and I'm currently 14.

My doctor said something about using Neurontin to treat the pain. Neurontin is also used on seizure patients. One of the side effect is seizures. Does anyone know how common it is to have seizures while on this medication with no previous history of them? My mom and I would really hate to start treating one thing just to cause another problem.

Also, does anyone have any success stories using Neurontin for pain? (Or non-successful stories?)

Thanks,
Megan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
(male)

Railroad Man HB UserRailroad Man HB User
Re: Neurontin for Pain?

I took it both times after back surgery and had no problems with it.
Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User

Hi, Megan,
Sorry that you're hurting!! My Dad is on Neurontin because he has foot problems,
and he has not had any seizures yet he has not had much success as far as relief of his pain, either.
It is very wise of you and your mom to investigate all of the potential side effects before you take a medication. My Dad uses a cream that I think is called Bio Freeze
(over the counter) and that seems to give him some relief. Maybe you should try that
first.

Sue

Old 06-26-2011, 07:07 PM   #4
(female)

Megan R HB User

Railroad Man thanks for the encouraging post!

Sue, I saw on your public profile that you have Hasimoto's disease...Does that give you any pain? My doctor said that may be one of the reasons that I'm having pain, but he's not really sure. Actually, he's not really sure of anything! I also have Hashimoto.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
(female)

HadIt HB User

Megan, I take Neurontin (gabapentin) for pain. I have interstitial cystitis (causes very severe bladder and pelvic pain for me) as well as fibromyalgia and a host of other ailments. It does give me some pain relief, and it is especially successful for the treatment of nerve pain. It also helps me sleep. I have had no unpleasant side effects from it. Good luck to you~

Old 06-29-2011, 10:53 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Hi Megan,

Neurontin is a medicine that was developed for seizures. A side benefit of it is that is works on controling nerve pain. My PM doc told me that there has never been a study done of nerve pain patients getting seizures from taking it so I guess it is a pretty rare occurance. The one think that you will need to do when you quit taking it is to taper off of it slowly. You just don't go cold turkey. But then that is common with alot of pain meds because of their potency.

I have been on Neurontin for two years and have had great relief with it. It has worked better for me than some of the other nerve meds. Give it a go and see how it works for you. You might try with starting it before you go to bed. That way if it causes you to be sleepy you cn just doze off!

Good luck hon!

Old 06-29-2011, 12:00 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Madison104 HB UserMadison104 HB UserMadison104 HB User

Hi Megan.....I just would not try this medication but ONLY because of what it did to my friend's mom. She had bad hallucinations and well, it did not go well at all. I guess I just like someone to hear the good and the bad. There is a chance we all take with medications. For example. Plaquenil is one of my meds for my Lupus. I had NO problems with it, except lately I am not sure if it was contributing to my new medical symptoms.
Yet, I have a neighbor that took it and one dose almost killed her.

I am NOT trying to scare you. I think the best advice is to research this medication, especially for someone in your age group.....talk it over and then make that informed decision as to how you feel about it. We are all different Megan. We never know if something will be wonderful or a disaster and yes, that is the hard part.

I always tell people the same thing. RESEARCH something..read all the side effects, because although sometimes rare, they do happen. Also explore ALL options, ALL medications available...even alternative therapies if there are any. And keep talking to others while you gather your information. You will then decide what feels best for you.

I wish you the VERY BEST
Madison

Old 07-04-2011, 07:21 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

gabapentin(neurontin)is a mild pain killer. If you suffer tremendously like me then the only thing that really works is narcotic pain medication.
I take gabapentin and it helps for sleep sometimes. but again, do not be surprised, it is a mild pain killer.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:44 AM   #9
(female)

Megan R HB User

No change, narcotics do help me, but I'm only fourteen and they don't want to start me on that. I would be come an addict. My uncle has this too and Neurontin didn't help. I really hope it works for me!

Old 07-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

you can add to gabapentin diazepam(valium). They work better together.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:44 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

angelwings54 HB Userangelwings54 HB Userangelwings54 HB Userangelwings54 HB Userangelwings54 HB Userangelwings54 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan R View Post
Hi everyone,

I have a foot birth defect called a tarsal coalition. It's basically an extra bone in both my feet, and it required surgery to remove it. Now, my feet have severe pain to the point it's hard to walk. My doctor has tried everything. All my MRIs come clear, yet I have pain! I had my surgery when I was 10, and I'm currently 14.

My doctor said something about using Neurontin to treat the pain. Neurontin is also used on seizure patients. One of the side effect is seizures. Does anyone know how common it is to have seizures while on this medication with no previous history of them? My mom and I would really hate to start treating one thing just to cause another problem.

Also, does anyone have any success stories using Neurontin for pain? (Or non-successful stories?)

Thanks,
Megan
Hi Megan, I take Nurontin for my Cervical and Spinal Arthritis and FIBRO it helps take the edge off for a few hours. I do get a little goofy on it and very tired. I'm also on Cymbalta for my Major Depression. I think Nurontin is good I can't take Narcotics and this is helping me. I hope you do well on the Nurontin - Gentle Hugs!!! - Laura

Old 07-05-2011, 09:02 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

why cannot you take narcotics? when you take diazepam with gabapentin it works better.
This is due to the fact that gabapentin(neurontin)is a mild pain killer. I also have chronic neck pain (just like you have) and it is hell. I can see you cannot sleep cause of this pain.

I stopped diazepam for a few months and now back on it. gabapentin is not enough for chronic pain.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:59 AM   #13
(female)

Megan R HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nochange View Post
why cannot you take narcotics? when you take diazepam with gabapentin it works better.
My family has a lot of history with becoming addicted to pain killers, and because I'm young also has something to do with it. They might try, but since it's chronic pain I would be on it for a long time. Since they really don't know why I'm hurting they've just been trying little things first.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:03 PM   #14
(female)

msgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB Usermsgenerallee HB User

i have had foot problems for years, including morton's neuroma (left foot), huge bunions, small bunions & metatarsal issues, and peripheral neuropathy.

i take neurontin for nerve pain..and i have been on it for about a year and a half now. i take 200 mg 2x day and 300 mg at bedtime.. it does help me rest better and it does help with the nerve pain. i say rest, because i have to take ambien just to fall asleep at night. my dr tried me on 300 mg during the day, and it made me too loopy- i felt like i was really drunk and staggered around really bad. so he reduced the daytime dosages.
my pain dr is a neurologist as well, and he told me that since there is no history of seizures, i should be a-ok..
i also take valium (diazepam), but i take it for anxiety.. it does work along with neurontin and other meds though...

right off the bat with the neurontin, he gave me a prescriptioin for a topical gel called "voltaren gel", which has diclofenac anti-inflammatory in it... that works wonders for me.. and i have talked to others who use it for foot pain and it works well for them too..
i have found with my insurance at the first fill, one tube (which is decent size) costed me $28. then when my dr gave me a refill, he wrote the script for 2 tubes, and they only cost me $30.. so if you talk to dr about that, ask them to write it for 2 tubes per fill and it will save you lots of $$...it is not available in generic...

Old 07-05-2011, 11:11 PM   #15
(female)

brangela HB User

I am currently on neurontin for hypersensitivity after ankle surgery six months ago. The only side effects I have had are sleepiness and dry mouth. The only pain it takes care of for me is the burning sensation all the other pain is still there. My doctor has just given me a trial of lyrica it is suppose to have less side effects, but a lot more expensive.

Closed Thread