It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2011, 09:15 AM   #1
(male)

Razzor HB User
Question about Oxycontin..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou1 View Post
Hello everyone,

I have a long history of back and neck problems (including a triple fusion surgery that went bad). I am currently in pain management and am prescribed three 40mg oxycontins a day. The problem is that I am constantly experiencing withdrawal symptoms. I take the meds as prescribed (ie..one tablet every 8 hours)..but I keep having symptoms that include chills with simultaneous sweating, anxiety and nausea that creep up just a few hours after taking a dose. I wake up every morning in moderate withdrawal. Taking an oxy will produce relief within minutes. I am very familiar with withdrawal, so I do know what the symptoms are. I cannot understand why I feel this when I am supposedly keeping a steady level of oxycontin in my blood stream. Has anyone experienced this before? I have only been on oxycontin for about 4 months, so I do not think tolerance is an issue (I have been feeling these symptoms right from the beginning of being prescribed this medication).

The only other time I have been prescribed oxycodone was shortly after my spinal surgery in 2005. I was given percocet and had the exact same withdrawal feelings while on the percs. I even called my surgeon who was baffled as to why I would feel these symptoms.

It is very distressing, for I had finally found a drug that provided some level of pain relief, but this constant felling of being in withdrawal is wearing me down. I am getting to the point where I feel the need to "take something" to ease withdrawals. (please do not confuse this with any sort of drug craving...that is not an issue)
I go to my PM doc on April 28. I think this is an issue that I should bring to his attention.....maybe I should be prescribed some other long acting med.

Please give me any input or suggestions as to what may be going on here.

Thanks,
Lou
I went through it taking 3 40 mg a day and I had the same symptons as you and it is mild withdrawls. I went on the Fentanyl patch and I'm fine. The thing with Oxy's is you are going to build that tolerence and once your opiate receptors get to maxium size there is nothing you can do but change. You probably could take 6 a day and it would not help. Also the new Oxycontin OP is useless it's binded to a polymer compound that the digestive system and liver cannot break down. If you want to continue to stay on a pill ask your Doctor about taking 4 30 mg of Oxycodone a day but the bad thing it's only going to last a couple of hours then you'll be clock watching waiting for your next dose.

Last edited by hb-mod; 06-29-2011 at 11:27 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2011, 11:06 AM   #2
(male)

MrOzzfest HB User
Re: Question about Oxycontin..Please Help!

My pain doctor used to put me on what he called an Opiate Vacation. What this entailed was to switch my highest dosage opiates such as my 80mg oxycontin and 30 mg oxycodone with either the fentora bucal lozenges or the atic lollipopps for a month or so. I usually only had the type of problem you describe happening every 12 to 18 monthes. I have been on opiates since 1991 when I had neck surgery. I hope this helps. If you have any other questions regarding my post leave a comment and I will try to get back to you in no more than a few days

Old 07-04-2011, 06:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
Re: Question about Oxycontin..

Mroxxfest, how do you live with this chronic neck pain? it is really miserable living like that. How were you injured in your neck?

Old 07-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
(male)

MrOzzfest HB User

Hello There!
I guess what helped me the most was having my cervical laminectomy. This was back in 1991, I still have problems from time to time but with the surgery and the opiates I am on, both have really helped alot. I hope this gives you a bit of insight. Are you on any meds for your neck pain?

Old 07-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #5
(male)

deanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB Userdeanh HB User
Re: Question about Oxycontin..Please Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOzzfest View Post
My pain doctor used to put me on what he called an Opiate Vacation. What this entailed was to switch my highest dosage opiates such as my 80mg oxycontin and 30 mg oxycodone with either the fentora bucal lozenges or the atic lollipopps for a month or so. I usually only had the type of problem you describe happening every 12 to 18 monthes. I have been on opiates since 1991 when I had neck surgery. I hope this helps. If you have any other questions regarding my post leave a comment and I will try to get back to you in no more than a few days
Could you tell us more about your "vacation". I am on the Fentanyl patch (150 mg every 2 days) and 1-2 roxy 15 mg a day. My doctor has suggested this and am concerned about pain as I do still work. Are you able to function for the month or so and where do you start again on the opiates?

Thank you!

Old 07-08-2011, 04:37 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

MrOzzfest, I take 40mg oxycontin but I do not take it every day cause I have high tolerance to narcotic pain medications. I really do not know what to do.
Also, now I started taking diazepam(valium)and I realize it helps a lot for the pain and I can finally "breath". Now, reading in our board here I see it really addictive. So I think I will alternate between those oxycontin and diazepam. I also take gabapentin together with oxycontin.

Honestly, I do not know what to do anymore with this pain in the neck. So please tell me why you needed a surgery? did you have bulging disks in your neck? and how were you injured?...please do not tell me you have been in a car accident and had a whiplash.
Were you able to sleep before the surgery?(cause of the pain).

P.S before the accident I was a happy person, now I am a miserable sad person

Last edited by nochange; 07-08-2011 at 04:40 AM.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:35 AM   #7
(female)

ncmommakat HB Userncmommakat HB Userncmommakat HB User

When I was on the old formula of Oxycontin I went thru WD's all day long in between doses. It was miserable. I relied on my BT meds just to keep "normal".
My Doctor also does the med vacations. We change my LA around. MS Contin, Fentynal Patch ( I can't take due to sweating -menopause) to Opana. Twice we have switched my BT meds from Percocet to Norco ( at a higher mg ).This has helped me stay at a fairly low dose and didn't need to be increased as quickly.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:32 PM   #8
(female)

heidel HB User

I also experienced mild withdrawal on Oxycontin, I also took 3-40mg per day. I was on Oxy for 9 years and did not have any problems until they changed the pill in order to stop abusers from breaking it for a (High. I found that if I took it every 6 hours, & used Lorizapam (Ativan) at night & during the day (when needed for wd). I finally ended up changing to 3 - 60mg Mscontin and have no problems of WD.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:33 PM   #9
(female)

Shayleigh HB User

i have had the same things happen to me. i know my situation is much different being an addict, but what helped a little was taking the time release coating off the top and taking a half of the 40 and an hour later the 2nd half so its releasing at a slower pace. its hard to break the OPs in half so you litterly have to use sissors and even thats a pain in the butt. i know its not a big help or a medical way. But it did help a little and ive been on it all and for some reason the Ops were the only ones that did that and it is awful . Im sorry i hope your doc can help you find a solution. you shouldnt have to go through that . Goodluck

Closed Thread