It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2011, 11:06 AM   #1
(female)

Outtapain HB User
Question Has anyone else had this problem??

To try to keep a long story short a few years ago I had gotten really sick and was not feeling myself. So I kept going to my doctor at the time who is in the same practice as my former doctor. He kept refusing to run any tests of any sort( he wouldnt even give me a blood test that later on would of saved me sooner). Needless to say I ended up getting very sick and wsa hospitalized for six months and had three surgeries. We later found out that simple blood test would of prevented the three surgeries cause he would of caught it in time. After I was released from the hospital I switched doctors to my current doc who has been a god send. He takes his time never makes me feel rushed and is always there if I need him. He never judges me or acts like im taking up his time. He doesnt talk down to me and if I feel like I have a question I can ask him.

Well here is the problem......

The receptionist there has in the past refused to give him messages from me or has held on to the faxes the pharmacy sends over for hours before he sees them. Last time I had to call him she argued with me for five minutes before she agreed to give him the phone. I made it very clear to her HE was my doctor and knew what was going on and I would like to talk to him. I have discussed in the past with him the way she behaves and I think he talked to her cause she seems to of calmed down a little. Anyone else had problems though with the receptionists or nurses at your doctor or PM office??? I feel like Im the only one.

Thank you for your responses and I hope this finds you in a pain free day

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2011, 07:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: Has anyone else had this problem??

Outta- I happen to have a great PM Doc and his staff-except for 1, is so good that I feel like I've come to visit friends.

I have had a few problems where the staff that handles the phones have failed to pass messages on in a timely manner. We took care of it the easy way. My PM gave me his email addy. Now when I have either a thought or question, I just drop him a note. He gets back to me via his PA either that day or the next. I sent a note late one Friday-like 11pm. He responded to me within a half hour.

You might want to ask if your doc has a work email that you can use for your questions etc. Instead of bad mouthing his staff-that makes him go on the defensive- just say you think it would help with the message load that the front desk gets overwhelmed with. It's worth w try if nothing else.

good luck!

The following user gives a hug of support to ibake&pray:
Outtapain (07-01-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to ibake&pray For This Useful Post:
Outtapain (07-01-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
(female)

sloshy26 HB User

I have the same problem with a nurse always bringing in theses pain forms to fill out all the time and she is alwaus giving me an attitude bc she know how much pain medicine and if i get her when i call in soemtimes she doesnt always pass the message on when i am all out of pain meds. but as far as the pain form goes i filled out on her on day bc i felt that she was dicrimanting me having me fill this form out every single time i came in which was every month or two when i went in and i would just get over telling them that my pain has not changed and that i am in sevre pain and something needs to be done and yet she still brings in the form and i tell her that i dont need it then the day i fought with her she said the dr needed it bc of the treament plan i am on and bc the pain meds i am on are narcotic and i feel like sometimes when my dr office treats me like i am a druggie ro something but they are the ones that are prescribing them for me when i i tell them i am in pain and that is there solution to get me out of pain so i have no idea at this point anymore either and it is very frustating on my end too but it is against the law for her to be keeping your prescriptions and not giving them to the doc if it is the recptions. i i call and talk to a nurse if possible if he has one and if you have to go pick them up or something for now and take notes on what she does so you can report it more. if anything helps. good luck

The following user gives a hug of support to sloshy26:
Outtapain (07-01-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to sloshy26 For This Useful Post:
Outtapain (07-01-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
(female)

Outtapain HB User

Thank you guys for your wonderful responses. I didnt say it in a mean way like she is not giving you the messages whats wrong with her??? I just said it like did she end up giving you the message I called and he was like no. I was like yes I gave a message to your receptionist and she gave me kind of a hard time. Everyone else at the office is pretty nice and they do rotate receptionists during the day and through out the week. I think they have three or four of them . All the other ones are nice except this one. She seems like she does not like her job very much which makes me wonder why she doesnt just find a new line of work you know? Thank you again though and I will talk to my doc about your ideas when I go in for my appointment . Hope your having a pain free day

Old 07-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

I think we need to remember too that the Doc's are busy seeing other patients and don't usually have time to take our phone calls themselves. In some cases it is the nurse or receptionist who is to take the info so the Dr is able to take care of it on a short break.

As far as scripts and faxes the docs have to take the time to fill them out. If they are too busy they don't get them done. I try to give at least 48 hours on a script so the doc has time to get it done before I'm out.

It's hard to know what is going on at the office when we call. There may be emergencies and other things that take higher priority than a phone caller who refuses to say what it is about- The docs just don't have time.

Pup

Old 07-01-2011, 09:07 PM   #6
(female)

dupee1 HB User

I've had that problem before. I started documenting conversations with her. I wrote down date and time and to whom what was said. I also made a point to tell my doc the next time I saw him. He was wondering why I hadn't been in touch with him like I was suppose to. Things changed some after that.

The Following User Says Thank You to dupee1 For This Useful Post:
Outtapain (07-03-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 10:00 PM   #7
(female)

Odesse HB UserOdesse HB UserOdesse HB User

My current GP's office never, ever returns my phone calls when I call them. They are no longer managing my pain, but it still bothers me that I drive an hour to see them, see a different resident every time, and nobody ever calls me back. I'm going to search for a new doctor, now that I have better insurance, closer to where I live who is not a residency program and who returns my calls.

When my current GP's office was "managing" my pain, there was one nurse who I always seemed to get. She was downright nasty about the fact that I was on pain meds. As soon as I switched my pain care to a pain management doctor and no longer got my pain meds from my GP, this nurse changed her whole attitude and finally treated me not as nastily as she used to, but still coldly.

My PM's office has one nurse who seems kind of down, or strict, or something. Not warm and friendly, but not outright discriminatory. She gave me heck one time when I could not remember the EXACT time I took my osteoporosis medicine, which is not a controlled substance and has nothing to do with how my pain meds work (the doctor even walked by while she was lecturing/nagging me and said, "Don't worry about it. That medication doesn't matter. Just put anything down.").

So, unfortunately, you're not alone. I think maybe some secretaries and nurses take their job a little too seriously or take it upon themselves to be police when that is not needed of them.

The Following User Says Thank You to Odesse For This Useful Post:
Outtapain (07-03-2011)
Old 07-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #8
(female)

Outtapain HB User

I feel like she does judge me because I am on pain meds and I am young. Being young though has nothing to do with how much pain im in. Young people get pain too. Its been nothing but a uphill battle since this all started happening. I even at one point had got menegitis(sp) and was at the hospital. While the doctor in the ER was giving me a spinal tap he was lecturing me on the pain meds I take telling me I should thing about getting into rehab and off them cause I shouldnt be on them. I snapped. I looked at him and said thank you for your concern but my doctor is managing my care and this is not the time or place to be discussing this not while your putting a needle in my spine and my brain is swelling!!. That seemed to shut him up and he even looked a little embarrassed. Everyone just sees my age and thinks "drug seeker" or "addict". They dont see a pain patient. So as hard as it is for a lot of older people to get there meds or get ridiculed its even harder for me because of my age no one wants to take me seriously. I have tried everything under the sun besides pain meds and I never asked for stronger meds (I.E : Morphine,oxy,percocet) Nothing like that. The only time they gave me something stronger was when I was in the hospital and they had to give me something stronger and the doctor in the ER recommended it. I never ask for stronger meds not even in the ER for fear of being ridiculed or judged. I always tell the docs when they ask me what I want. Its up to you doctor whatever you think will work. Sorry this is so long that you for reading and listening.

Closed Thread