It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
(male)

Itralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB User
Wondering How

I was just at my pain management Dr. and he changed my meds. My new meds come to a total of $481 per month. I can't possibly afford this living off of SSdisability. Does anyone know where, I can find my meds at a much more reasonable price? I do not have Ins. and , don't know how I can survive with or without my meds!

Old 06-30-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User
Re: Wondering How

I don't have any insurance either...I'm not sure what are all the medicines you are prescribed...but there are cheaper opiates over others....I moved from Oxycontin since they don't have a generic to MSContin...but that was a decision made with my Dr. I have two different strength MSContins, OxyIR, Flexeril, and Ambien...all generic.

I was looking at the board rules and I think I'm allowed to say where I go and you can certainly call around in your area to find the least expensive. If I'm wrong then someone please let me know about posting

I go to Sam's club in my area as they are actually cheaper than Walmart which is strange since it's owned by the same company, but I think they have different bargaining power with the meds...You do NOT have to have a membership to use the Pharmacy in big box stores...only to buy other items in the store...

So...I found them 10 years ago after calling around and checking prices, and have had the same wonderful Pharmacist since...

So, for all 5 generic prescriptions, filled once a month, I pay $135 a month...

I wish you luck

The Following User Says Thank You to Ilovemycutedog For This Useful Post:
Itralian1 (06-30-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
(male)

Itralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB User

Wow, I think there must be a sams club in my area. I will search for them when, I get done with my reply. I am very grateful for your insight, into my situation. I am pretty sure all my meds offer generic brands. Panic was setting in and, all was looking helpless. I will sleep better tonight! Thank you very much and, best to you in all that you do!

Old 06-30-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

So glad I could help...I was shocked how different the prices are from Pharmacy to Pharmacy with the exact same generic medicine...When I lost my insurance after my divorce...I had some panic myself as it was the same time Oxycontin was losing their generic and no way I could afford it...So very thankful with working with my Dr. and finding different medicines that do a good job at pain mgmt..

I hope you can find some good prices and that you have low pain holiday weekend

The following user gives a hug of support to Ilovemycutedog:
Itralian1 (07-01-2011)
Old 06-30-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

you can also apply for xtra help with your rx benefits-thats what i did and it has helped me tremendouly-just contact or go to your local ss office and tell them you would like to see if you qualify for xtra help for your rx benefits- good luck

i am prscribed ms contin er and ir, oxycodone 10mg, restoril 30mg, klonapin 1mg-all a month's supply and i pay out of pocket $27.50

i am recieving ssdi and am getting medicare a&b-with medicare part d(prescription coverage) i applied for the xtra help

Last edited by BB07; 07-02-2011 at 06:33 AM. Reason: wrong total co-pay

The Following User Says Thank You to BB07 For This Useful Post:
Itralian1 (07-01-2011)
Old 06-30-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
(female)

sloshy26 HB User

i too am on ss can you get the low cost meds coverage from them that is what i was able to do. i think you just have to call ss and ask them and they send you information and if you qualify they send you more information

The Following User Says Thank You to sloshy26 For This Useful Post:
Itralian1 (07-01-2011)
Old 06-30-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Also instead of actually changing pharmacies. If you go to a major name pharm, i.e. CVS, RiteAid, Walgreens, etc. They will price match other cheaper pharmacies prices. All you have to do is call Walmart or Sams club get the amount of the RX, tell your pharmacist when you drop it off and they will call and verify it. I do this every week.

Kat

The Following User Says Thank You to katlin09 For This Useful Post:
Itralian1 (07-01-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 12:15 AM   #8
(male)

Thankyou for the support and kind words. May you have a good holiday weekend yourself!

Old 07-01-2011, 12:29 AM   #9
(male)

Thanks for the support! May you have a GOOD holiday weekend too!

Old 07-01-2011, 06:46 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

vann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itralian1 View Post
I was just at my pain management Dr. and he changed my meds. My new meds come to a total of $481 per month. I can't possibly afford this living off of SSdisability. Does anyone know where, I can find my meds at a much more reasonable price? I do not have Ins. and , don't know how I can survive with or without my meds!
when do you get your medicare?

Old 07-01-2011, 07:20 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

You can also go to Costco. I think that you can get meds without being a member. They offer help on your meds if you don't have insurance. They gave Gus about 10-15% discount. I told them that Gus was a dog and he didn't care about discounts...he just wants a cookie! But they said because he didn't have insurance, he got help-but no cookie! Their meds are on par with Sam's and Walmart, but I'm not sure about the extra discount at Sam's.

Good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to ibake&pray For This Useful Post:
Itralian1 (07-02-2011)
Old 07-02-2011, 05:45 AM   #12
(male)

I received medicare on 3/1/11 but, it is only A and B. I applied for help and, told my income won't allow this. What a kick in the a-- that is. Living off a monthly ck. and, I make to much. Made no sense to me!

Old 07-02-2011, 05:54 AM   #13
(male)

This site has turned out to be a blessing in disguise! Everyones helped me moving forward.
I have been checking out all the info I have received.Have a great holiday weekend and God bless you all!

Old 07-02-2011, 06:11 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

vann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB Uservann04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itralian1 View Post
I received medicare on 3/1/11 but, it is only A and B. I applied for help and, told my income won't allow this. What a kick in the a-- that is. Living off a monthly ck. and, I make to much. Made no sense to me!
Why didn't you medicare part d for your drugs you could of gotten it now I think you have to wait another year to get it and it's not that much there are a lot of plans out there one prescription would of paid for it I don't get it.

Last edited by vann04; 07-03-2011 at 07:02 AM.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:54 AM   #15
(male)

This medicare is all new to me. Quite honestly, the way I feel everyday hinders most things I set out to do and,the spinal cord in my neck is, flattened badly in C4-C5 area. I struggle everyday just dealing with my extreme endless pain!

Closed Thread