It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
(male)

tendonitis HB User
Recovering from anthroscopic elbow procedure

Its been 12 weeks since I had anthroscopic prodecure. Had a bone spur and he also did debridement. Surgeon told be recovery will be like 4-6 weeks post op and that I didnt need Physical Therapy, he made recovery seem simple and told me just to start light weight when it feels GOOD. I still had pain at the time and was told to give it more time when I called them. I am now going to start doing some light weight. I no longer have pain through range of motion, its been a LONG 12 weeks but I think I am ready to start light weight. I need to rebuild the strength, I definitley feel is a lot weaker than my other arm and its also a lot smaller. Its been a year since I stopped bodybuilding due to the pain so how should I approach this? (now through months ahead)

I JUST called the nurse where I had it done at and she said pain is your indication, if I feel like its sore or it hurts the next day to slow it down. I also got knocked down a little bit when she said it might take a while to regain my elbow strength and to not look at the recovery day by day. Look at it week by week OR MONTH BY MONTH =/

I just need some support. Any help?

Old 07-06-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Recovering from anthroscopic elbow procedure

seriously here, you DO NEED to obtain a very direct referral FROM that surgeon TO a good therpist to regain all of what you lost BECAUSE of 'his' surgery even done on you. telling you to kind of take this onto yourself when you HAVE lost muscle due to disuse from surgical procedures is really stupid and CAN sometimes also hurt YOU more than help you if you are NOT just doing everything 'right'. i would not even try and rehab a joint or around any joint with PT unless it IS with a good PT guiding and directing me. even just obtaining an inital referral to one to totally even understand the mechanics involved and what specific excercises are needed(and what NOT to do) really IS needed anytime you lose muscle in the way you have.

this also DOES reflect upon your surgeon too with whatever YOUR overall outcome just is too. any surgeon CAN and should, in a case like yours simply refer you to a good PT that can make ALLL the difference in getting everything back that you lost, and making CERTAIN you are not actually causeing even MORE damage by not fully excercising any given ROM in the exact way it should be. getting ROMS even 'right' while excercising them durting the post op period is risky when done by oneself mostly because your muscle is so much more weak, its very easy to end up lifting or moving it in that state, in the wrong way, and repeatedly too.

i WOULD call that surgeons office back and tell him you simply do NOT feel at all comfortable going this alone. and ypu should not even have to when he should know better too ya know? this should NOT be any problem for him to at least give you like six or so referrals to a particular PT person for YOUR best outcome. and HIS 'good name" and rep as well. they DO owe you this post op if the patient simply does not at all feel okay or comfortable in doing this by themselves. any 'joint' that has had surgery, when it comes to making certain ROMS/PT are all being done the proper way, just IS much more critical than in any other areas we have in our bodies. good luck and let me know how things go,K? marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2011, 03:46 AM   #3
(male)

tendonitis HB User

Ill definitlely think about that, even a few sessions would help...atleast but me on the right track.

He kind of explained that once the healing stage is over that I should be good on my own without Physical Therapy, but maybe I should just give it another week or so. I already attended 15+ sessions of PT before surgery and I use to be a bodybuilder so I kind of know some stuff, but yea...not nearly as much as Physical Therapist.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

the key word there is that "you 'should" be good on your own without physical therepy". that does NOT in any way shape or form ALWAYS mean that you simply 'are' all on your own okay, ya know? it comes down to the every individual patients overall 'comfort level and what THEY FEEL is within their own levels of what actually needs rehabbing and to what degree, and what the 'possibles' that just can happen and that ARE simply much more risky esp with ANY level of joint/muscle tendon and ligament rehab(just think of how often you actually use your arms(and that elbow joint) and other joints during any given day?). the above structures are what really 'makes up any given joint' and you do NOT inadvertantly want to create ANY damage or strange/'off' moving ROMS, only because your surgeon TOLD you you "should be able to" that it will actually work for YOU(by yourself), and what your personal/overall particular levels of rehab needed too, without at LEAST being evaled by an actual PT at the very beginning(which they DO do upon that initial post op visit to get that 'baseline' of movement so they CAN better gage what was just there then and any changes(good or not so good) along the way.

just seeing a PT to get what is actually ONLY YOUR personal baseline done and for him or her to simply just 'show you' what all the best therepys/movements are based solely on what YOU as an individual patient have lost that needs to be rehabbed/regained IS a need post op.

the one thing that i have found after alll my many surgeries and esp with what huge amounts of post op PT i absolutely had to have esp post rotator cuff among other ortho surgeries also done on joints, is not all surgeons simply ARE even close to be created equal, at all in some cases. and unfortuently the first one i had done by a totally clueless idiot who did EVERYTHING wrong, including mis dxing my finger injury as 'tendons"(tho not once asked me to move it or even touched it???) and putting on a full hand cast(soo not needed and screwed me up even worse) since it turned out to be blown ligaments on both sides of middle finger. this should have been simply splinted with PT actually started following the week after the actual injury too that soo was not. i ONLY found all this out when i saw who i KNEW by many different ways was one of the very best hand surgeons around where i live who was just sickened by what the previous ortho had done to me. no PT was ordered by idiot ortho with my actual finger looking the exact same(very swollen with the same areas STILL bruised after like five weeks too after he removed the cast) i NEEDED follow up PT. instead he just splinted me, and told me to go on my merry way. sick S O B, let me tell ya.

once i got to an amazing and very knowledgable and experienced hand surgeon, i found out how just totally clueles not to mention out right soo not right in ANYTHING he had me do, i was furious since i had almost a complete loss of that finger completely by THAT much crucial time just passing with NOTHING being done to rehab. this just IS the huge differences in overall surgeons out there can be and how 'they decide' to do anything having to do with us as patients post op,and pre op into the surgery too. there just ARE some very very basic and common sense stuff that every surgeon just knows needs to be done in certain circumstances that this idiot was even lacking in basic common sense on that scared the heck outta me. cannot even imagine this guy doing ANY types of surgerys on any real live human beings. good god.

what this all realistically comes down to here is that YOU personally do not feel totally 'comfortable/okay' without at least SOME good/solid direction and guidance. and that alone should be why ANY surgeon should simply write that PT referral for any patient too. while you DO have body building knowledge(that WILL help alot later), this just is a bit different than gaining/maintaining muscle IN a body. it is doing the very basic underlying 'rehabbing' of the muscles in the body. two really different things that both 'happen to' involve muscle. ya know what i mean? i would simply call the surgeons office and tell them you just really would feel much more comfortable with having at least 'some' time spent with a real PT person just so YOU KNOW without a flippin doubt that what you 'think' may be needed, IS simply the most 'appropriate' things for YOUR muscles in that very weakened area. just considering that this IS simply a joint at all, he should have absolutely no real problem in doing this for you and the best possible surgical outcome that not only impacts you, it also impacts HIS actual reputation AS an ortho as well. if for some sick reason that surgeon decideds not to actually even DO this one needed thing for a patient who is post op and in need, go to your primary doc and have him or her refer you for it(the order just has to read: post op "whatever YOUR procedure is called", evaluate and treat). they will obtain your records from that surgeon and do what is simply needed or show you how to do this at home. and also would be setting a date for a good follow up to reveal you as far as what has come back and overall function of the critical joint. i do wish you luck with this. but DO obtain a referral for PT til YOU feel okay with everything and all YOUR very important questions about IT are also fully answered as well. you just DO deserve THAT much from any surgeon whos done any surgery for you. just NEVER 'assume' this IS the right way when in your post op posistion, find out DIRECTLY from the people who KNOW what is right for you as far as PT/rehabbing post op. good luck with this,and do please let me know what your surgeon decides to do. this just is no big deal for HIM to simply DO for you, trust me on that one. marcia

The Following User Says Thank You to feelbad For This Useful Post:
tendonitis (07-07-2011)
Old 07-07-2011, 06:50 PM   #5
(male)

tendonitis HB User

I'll defintely call SHANDS (University of Florida Orthopedics) where I got it done at and see if my doctor can fax over a referal or something. I have insurance so why not, I defintely feel like this will help a lot because I do not have confidence in it, but that can be because its not 100% healed yet?

That is what confuses me. Do I give it more time? Or is it already healed and ready to start rehab? I get REALLY worried when I think that I still get pain after this procedure. Surgeon did tell me he saw that 5mm of my cartiladge was slightly damaged. So what if after all this I can never lift weights again because of that.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:09 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

well, that is kind of the million dollar question. how things just "will be' for you after healing and the needed PT. not all surgerys just can even 'fix' everything thats is wrong. what did your doc say about continuing to lift wieghts once you are confirmed 'healed and PTed" back?

one of the bigger reasons you simply DO NEED the therepist involved IS to figure out exactly where YOU are at, and not going by the 'so many weeks post op and you do this or that' type thing? everyone just is or can be very different depending upon other factors involved as far as how/when THEY will actually even 'heal'. having any damage to cartiledge usually, only becasue of wht IT is made of, cannot be really 'healed or sewen up since it does not have alot of its own 'substance' to even go there? so it, when it is seeable during a procedure, will usually be removed, and not 'fixed'. BUT, with a good PT program designed specifically to YOUR losses/after surgical situation, they CAN help you to kind of work with THAT partictular loss by buliding up and/or over riding THAT loss specifically. tho not in all cases.

but this just realistically IS one of the many reasons you simply, esp in your case with the cartiledge, NEED a good PT to work with you who knows how certain areas 'should be' moving after so many weeks post op, and also to direct and guide your situation and gage progress too. its just something that YOU DO need in this 'situation' right now. thank GOD for insurnace huh? i would be soooo messed up if we did not have it and feel for anyone who has to pay their own way thru just a chronic condition or god forbid a surgery too. it can suck you dry without it.

but DO what you now know just IS the very best thing for you right now, regardless of what the surgeon says. if you would feel better and SAFER with a physical therepist(for ALOT of different reasons) then that IS YOUR choice to make. all you need is for him(or his main PA or NP who is ALWAYS shadowing him around) to write the rx for you, or your primary can do this too. but any surgeon with an ounce of a brain would not pass up any pateints really 'felt need' for having the guidance and direction and safety of PT post op. but you just DO need that very basic referral and Rx for any PT to take you on here. thats just how things tend to work. but yopu just DO have that very real 'criteria' herte and that should allow any of your docs or surgeons to do the more common sense thing,esp since YOU just do NOT feel comfortable in going it alone. thats enough to give the Rx for this, tendon.

and with time and ongoing PT, that will determine what you can or may not be fully able to do to the level you once did(body building specifically), which i am kinda assuming initiated this need(at least to "some' degree) for surgery to begin with? just for now, get that Rx/referral and see how things go. you just really never know what your overall real capabilities are or will be til you get an area FULLY back to the level is possible post op. but you ARE doing the best possible thing here for yourself overall and in the longer run BY going thru a good PT for your rehab post op. that i totally believe 100%. good luck getting that needed rx/referral hopefully FROM the surgeon. but either way, a request WILL be made to see at least some of the more pertinent to YOUR recovery type of PT records. so the therepists will know what specifically was done and found and what YOUR true rehab needs are as well. hang in there tendon, its all just simply an ongoing 'process" and levels you will need to go thru to get where you need to be hopefully you will regain more than you may think. marcia

Old 07-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #7
(male)

tendonitis HB User

The surgeon said I can start lifting again once I feel its healed. around 6-8 weeks post op. Just to start light. He said its a mechanical issue and when the healing is done that I should be okay, but I start Physical Therapy next week.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:14 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sounds like a really good plan. the nice thing about actually doing PT with a good therepist, is 'knowing' when YOUR 'six to eight weeks' actually truely 'is', since everyone does not always heal at the very same rate or pace(they will know when its time to do specific things per your healing rate). hopefully there wont be any problems with the cartiledge thing. good luck with this, and keep me posted as to how things are going tendon, K? Marcia

The following user gives a hug of support to feelbad:
tendonitis (07-10-2011)
Old 07-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
(male)

tendonitis HB User

Ok so I work at the ymca and I tried a few machines when I was there today. Didnt go heavy, but did around 15-20 reps each time with light weight. Tried a chest machine and a back machine to experience pushing and pulling. I just have to build up my confidence and my stength because I think its done healing. No pain, just weakness. It still might be delicate so I didnt do anything crazy, just wanted to test it out a little bit.

Even curling 2.5lbs I feel that its weaker than my right arm.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:15 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

and it WILL contuinue to be weaker than the 'good arm" until you can just build it back up again, and 'properly on IT'S timeframe. and that IS what the PT is simply ment to do for anyone who has had a surgery that knocked an extremity out of commission due to a surgery or injury type situation. but that IS what a good therepist WILL work with you on. just be VERY very careful in what you do til you at the very least, see an actual therepist who just knows, per YOUR individual healing rate, just exactly what IS good for you to do first right now at this stage and what maybe should be held off on til you regain the areas needed to really support the worst areas, ya know what i mean? you simply have to initially build up the more in depth and the underlying 'generators of large muscle movement and get that strong before you move onto the more fine motor aspects within any joint. if this simply was NOT an actual joint of some type, esp an arm involved, it would not be AS critical, but it is. but what you just were able to accomplish DOES sound good/hopefull. just for your own sake, do not go there again,K? it scares me, lol. at least NOT til you get that greenlight from your PT. they just NEED to obtain YOUR baseline of ROM movement too to really see where you need to go from here and what needs to be more zeroed in on before this whole thing starts too. there just could still be an overly weakened but critical area that can be slower to heal than the surrounding areas there as well(they simply watch the 'hows' in YOUR particular movements to see if you are somehow compensating WITH how the movement flows too), and that IS what there PTs just can also do, find those sometimes more 'hidden' areas, just based upon how you are moving the extremity too?.

this IS where you do learn patience tendon, lol. been there done this soo many times post op i can't even count anymore. just get 'proper guidance" from that PT who just HAS the type of experience and knowledge that YOU do need more specifically geared to YOUR surgery done and go slow per what your PT says, K(this is a process of rebuildingand regaining and not a marathon. "slow and steady" wins THIS race)? the very LAST thing you need right now is to go beyond what is your current capacity and create problems(i would think doing 2.5 considering IS a good thing). just DO take your time and it will give you a much better/stronger overall rehab back. just do NOT 'push yourself' like you just did(you DID actually do alot considering). while things went okay, just doing this at all, well it could have gone the opposite too, esp without a good PT there to guide and most importanly 'spot you' as you just DO need with rehab. and that just IS what you have to keep remembering. rehabbing muscles back from a surgery is NOT at all a 'no pain no gain' type of thing. just do get into the rehab as soon as you can since it really 'sounds like' you are just getting a bit crazy here in waiting to just get things 'normal' again(we DO know how THAT is). just be VERY careful about everything you do with that surgical joint right now, and it WILL come when it is supposed to, not when you 'want it to',K??? good luck with the therepy that IS with an actual PT person tendon. let me know how everything is going. marcia

Old 07-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #11
(male)

tendonitis HB User

I already started some Occupational Therapy and now doing some work with the elastic band. At first I was really scared to try any tricep extension with the band, now I do it with no problem. I am cleared to do anything, I have no restrictions according to what my surgeon told the therapist. Its mostly about building up my confidence. I still havent tried a full blown actual push up yet thought, just wall pushups. Im only going to see her a couple more times, by then hopefully I am back in the gym!

Old 07-17-2011, 07:45 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

well everything DOES sound like its going well, and thats a biggie tendon. just remember, this is NOT that no pain no gain type of thing, but a 'rebuilding process' that will take time, along with compensating for that cartaledge too. i would definitely hold off on doing the normal pushups tho until you simply do really 'feel' that you are able and the PT also says it is okay too. its just being on that safer side and not totally screwing up what has taken this long to regain already?

if you ARE at a gym(or even AT the PT facility you have been going to), they should have a type of machine or adjustable type of 'incline/decline" board/thing that you can kind of slowly go down 'into' the eventual full normal pushup, kind of a little bit of decline at a time kinda way? this would NOT create AS much real stress and strain on the shoulder and elbow joints. its just a good way to 'work into" the fuller on the floor push up? you start like you are at the wall, then decline the board downwards over time and reps til you eventually just are doing them on the floor again. this would truely be the 'ideal' way of getting to the normal. a bit at a time with like at least a few days at one angle(or longer depending upon YOU)? the very last thing you want to do right now is to go right into that full floor pushup and hear something like a pop or feel a tear in that elbow, or that shoulder/rotator area just because IT is also in a more weakened state.

i DO really hope things continue on the way up and you can just get on with your life there tendon. please DO continue to keep me posted hon, K? slow and steady wins this type of race. marcia

Old 07-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Having doubts/unsureness of your stability is perfectly normal after any "joint" surgery, as they do tend to weaken quickly and it takes a while to "trust" them again. I've not had elbow work, but many, many operations on my knees and just getting the courage to stand up without fear of falling over took some time. Your elbow will continue to strengthen as you work it, just take it in stride and let "it" tell you if your pushing too much, trust me you'll know.

Good luck and hope you have a painfree future.

kat

Old 07-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #14
(male)

tendonitis HB User

So I am now done going to Occupational Therapy. 1-2 weeks of it and my grip strength went up 30lbs and now is equal to my right. I still do extensions and curls with the elastic band along with other forearm exercises and stretches and I still squeeze the Pudy stuff she gave me. I am now okay to use it unlike 2 weeks ago...I so far have tried knee push-ups, not actual full push-ups yet. I want to start going to the gym and for now do just the machines. She just said do light work for a little while longer. My left arm is still weaker, so I still have to be careful if I start bodybuilding. How should I approach weight lifting as in machines/free weights?

Main things I am doing now/therapist left me with:

twice daily with green elastic band
Curling 2 sets of 12
Tricep Extensions 2 sets of 12

or

3lbs weight
Curling 2 sets of 12
Overhead tricep extensions 2 sets of 12

That is obviously pretty easy, the thing is....I need to get it like my right arm. Its still a lil uneven.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:51 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

and it WILL remain a bit "uneven' for a while til everything you lost really starts to totally come back(i do think you are at least about halfway there if not a bit more?). you DO have to consider just what that arm went thru(esp involving ANY of our joints) and just having it totally immobile, it will still take timeya know? but you WILL eventually get there.

but it really sounds like everything is going great(as expected) so far tendon, and that IS something, trust me. not all peoples surgeries/PT courses just always are that successful,or they keep having little set backs. i would STILL continue to take er easy like you are hon and ask for VERY direct/specific to you info as to how to proceed FROM the therepist who is in charge of your care. only THAT person seriously really 'knows your status" unlike we just possibly even could right now.

the PT just should be dictating the rest of your course tendon. everyone simply progresses in their very own individual ways, and you also do have that cartiledge injury/loss? too to always have to keep in mind(and work around) as well. while i do not know just how really overall impactful THAT actually is, everything needs to be done according to 'your' individual situation and overall progress. but things really do sound great so far, and that IS huge. just never try and 'hurry thru' any part of your PT tendon. its all "done" ONLY to get that 'downed' area back on track in all the right ways. just remember, slow and steady. good luck, marcia

Last edited by feelbad; 07-26-2011 at 06:54 AM.

Closed Thread