It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
(female)

stephk06 HB User
Not getting pain relief

I had my 1st visit @ PM doctor last week. I was on Norco 7.5 (8 a day) and given 10's to see if they helped. Well they didnt, and I told my dad, and he said not to tell the doc they aren't working cuz they might get suspicious cuz I'm a new patient. My question is how do I approach this with my doc?? I'm obviously not there cuz I'm faking. I truely am in pain. He says they have heard every excuse in the book. Ok, so, am I supposed to keep taking something that isn't working?? The plan was to be 100% honest on what is going on, but my dad is scaring me into not telling the doc and remaining in pain (as I have been for over a yr). Thanks!

Old 07-07-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
Re: Not getting pain relief

stephk06, I see you have chronic neck pain.
Anyway, I suffer from severe chronic pain + two bulging disks and I can tell you I need high dose of oxycontin - 40mg. Norco 7.5mg is nothing for chronic neck pain. I started with percocet 5/325mg and told my doctor it stopped working then upped it to 10/325mg and that stoppped working and told my doctor - I was not afraid to tell him - I just told him I have high tolerance to pain medications - he did not like to hear it but believe me they know what is tolerance and they know not all strengh works for everyone, they pretend they do not know, but they know.

So do not be afraid and tell your doctor 5/325 does not work, that is all.

Have you tried other medications other than narcotics? like gabapentin etc...
and can you tell me how were you injured, was it a whiplash? just trying to understand.
Are you able to sleep at all? - It is really hard to sleep with chronic neck pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2011, 01:28 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Be smart, tell your dad that you love him, but this is your medical problem and you'll deal with it.

As for the Dr. it was your first visit, so they start low on the pills. Be honest with him, like he requested, if the med doesn't help then tell him at your next visit. The only way to start,maintain, and keep an honest trusting relationship with your doc is to be honest, follow your contract, and listen to what he tells you and do it. As time goes by some things will work, some won't, but you can't be nervous or afraid to tell him everytime something doesn't work.

Good Luck,
kat

Old 07-08-2011, 04:02 AM   #4
(female)

stephk06 HB User

Thanks for answering! I totally want to be 1005 honest with my doc. You cant move forward if you're not honest. And to answer you question, I started on NSAIDS, early last yr and muscle relaxers. I didn't have an accident, it seemed to come out of no where. It started 1.5 yrs ago, with elbow pain that radiated into my wrist and fingers. I would wake up w/ my elbows asleep and hands frozen. It took me going to a diff doc 2 mos ago, to conclude that my elbow pain is coming from my neck. I had cortisone shots in each elbow 2 mos ago, so maybe if they do something similar w/ my neck it will help. The only thing they can think of causing the pain is from being on the comp long stretches of time (I'm taking classes online). Or from carrying 2 toddlers around allllllll day. And like you said, no, I can't sleep. I wake up and dread getting up the 1st time, it take me 10 mins to get the courage to just sit up and deal with the intense pain for 5 secs. I usually wake up an hr b4 everyone, cuz my pains the worst in the morning. And that way I can take some meds and see if it helps so I'm not short with anyone. OK, sorry this is rambling, its too early!

Old 07-08-2011, 04:05 AM   #5
(female)

stephk06 HB User

Thanks Katlin!
My dad go to a diff pm clinic, so he thinks he knows everything. As per the meds, I expected to start off low. I told the nurse what I was taking and how many, and she said, "wow,that's a lot". It was 8 norco 7.5 a day. So they write for norco 10's 1 per day. It seemed kind of to same dose I was taking before, just less APAP.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:27 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

I did not understand, your neck hurts you badly? also, I have found very effective taking diazepam but it is addictive - but what is not addictive - anything that actually works is addictive.

Oh, how many hours are you able to sleep at night? let me know.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:59 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephk06 View Post
Thanks Katlin!
My dad go to a diff pm clinic, so he thinks he knows everything. As per the meds, I expected to start off low. I told the nurse what I was taking and how many, and she said, "wow,that's a lot". It was 8 norco 7.5 a day. So they write for norco 10's 1 per day. It seemed kind of to same dose I was taking before, just less APAP.
Actually the dropped you way down. Norco 7.5/325 means there is 7.5mg hydrocodone to 325mg Aceteminiphan. All Norco has the same amount of Aceteminiphan 325 mg. So you were taking 8 7.5/325's per day that's 60mg of hydrocodone per day. Now your on 1 10/325 a day, that's a difference of 50 mg of hydrocodone, and is most likely why your not getting any pain relief. You might want to talk to your doc about an LA pain med something stronger if he only wants you to take it once a day, because right now they have you on next to nothing.

kat

Old 07-13-2011, 09:27 AM   #8
(female)

stephk06 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nochange View Post
I did not understand, your neck hurts you badly? also, I have found very effective taking diazepam but it is addictive - but what is not addictive - anything that actually works is addictive.

Oh, how many hours are you able to sleep at night? let me know.
Hi, sorry it took me so long to respond! I have a bluging disk at C4 and C5 and C5 and C6. Also arthritis in those areas and bone spurring and my neck has lonst its natural curve. Is diazepam, valium?? I took that for PPD and anxiety after my 2nd child, and it made me too tired.
I'm sleeping roughly 7 hrs a night. Never uninterrupted by pain and never deep enough for me to feel refreshed the next day. I'm always changing positions to find 1 that doesn't hurt and that keeps me up.
I had a diff question also. How long would you say docs are supposed to spend with each patient during their visit?? My doc was in literally only 2 mins, if that. He asked if my shoulder hurts anymore and said no, my neck is worse though. He gave me another injection in my shoulder and said to continue PT. He didnt ask about my meds and told me to come back in 3 weeks (my pills run out in 2). The office was so packed w/ patients, I feel like he's working an assembly line. Get thru patients asap to make for $$$.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:42 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

yes it is Valium, did he RX that for you? If so, it should help you relax and sleep better at night when your pain is more under control. As to how long a doc should stay in the room...it varies by doctor, town, circumstance. I see my doc once a month and we spend about 45 minutes talking about stuff. But she's been my doc for 12 yrs. and has also become a friend. And it's out in the country. Alot of offices are like your docs, an assembly line.....

kat

Old 07-13-2011, 08:48 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Always give a new medication or dosage a few weeks (or even a month) to see if they work. It takes a while to get a therapeutic level of the new dosage/med in the blood. Maybe I missed it, but are you on any long acting pain meds such as ms contin, kadian, etc.

Have you had any surgery? Surgical consultations?

My PM doctor spends minimum of 5 minutes with me. When I arrive the staff has me fill out a simple form of current pain level, highest pain level, lowest pain level, do I comply with regimen, do I think any changes are needed, new symptoms, etc. I would classify my doctor as "consultative pain management" where they really listen and coordinate well with my Orth Spine Surgeon.

Last edited by SpineAZ; 07-13-2011 at 08:50 PM.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:17 AM   #11
(female)

stephk06 HB User

OOPs, I meant 3x a day. But still, it's not helping. Apparently my age is against me I've heard. I'm 28 w/ 3 kids, and told unlikely you will get much pain meds relief due to that. IDK, if that was just an excuse given to me or if it's really how docs view me

Old 07-14-2011, 06:21 AM   #12
(female)

stephk06 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpineAZ View Post
Always give a new medication or dosage a few weeks (or even a month) to see if they work. It takes a while to get a therapeutic level of the new dosage/med in the blood. Maybe I missed it, but are you on any long acting pain meds such as ms contin, kadian, etc.

Have you had any surgery? Surgical consultations?

My PM doctor spends minimum of 5 minutes with me. When I arrive the staff has me fill out a simple form of current pain level, highest pain level, lowest pain level, do I comply with regimen, do I think any changes are needed, new symptoms, etc. I would classify my doctor as "consultative pain management" where they really listen and coordinate well with my Orth Spine Surgeon.
I've always been willing to wait it out and see if the new meds will work. So far no luck. I've been able to distract myself from the pain for short amts of time. But it will sneek up on me full force, and its not pretty.
No surgeries, and no LA acting meds. I hope @ my next visit in 2 weeks we can discuss that. He was with my way less thatn 5 mins. He had a waiting room FULL of people waiting, so I'm guessing that's normal. Spend @ secs w/ a patient and on to the next. They see $$$$ signs. I'm prob going to give him 1 last shot, then find another that will listen to me and want to help me.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:24 AM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Walk in with paper where you write down your symptoms, what meds help with, how they do/don't work, how symptoms limit you, etc. IF they aren't asking you this on a form you complete at entry of each visit.

The Following User Says Thank You to SpineAZ For This Useful Post:
stephk06 (07-14-2011)
Closed Thread