It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2011, 03:51 AM   #1
(female)

betchworth HB User
Lightbulb need to inform us

since developing crps (not so regional) after breaking bones I have learnt that after a break if one was to take high dose vitamin c supplement (but always within the guidelines stated on product) it helps to prevent the condition of crps from starting up. This is no guarantee but having the knowlege in large public areas ie: Fracture clinic waiting rooms, gp surgery. More public awareness to this awful illness is urgently needed. We all need to speak to our Gps at least we can perhaps make a difference to those who as we speak are unaware of what a simple injury may lead to. The health board and those in private and nhs authorities are aware of the vitamin c issue but are not informing the public they assume, quite wrongly, that we all know this fact. what do you think?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2011, 06:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: need to inform us

just curious betchworth as to where you read/heard about taking vitamin C and not ending up with RSD/CRPS? i have this crap too in my knee down thru my foot from sympathetic nervous system damage that was done directly TO the ganglion but within that spinal cord itself, as it leaves the cord to form the ganglion/symp chain?

while i have heard some good stuff about vit C in other medical capacitys, as in helping in remitting certain types of cancers(like with stomach) for instance, i just have never heard what you are mentioning about it actually somehow being able to prevent actual RSD? is this ONLY with broken bones? only asking since there just are soo many different ways a person can end up with this hellish torturefest of sick deep churn and burn and hypersensitivity.

so, just exactly where DO you have CRPS and what areas did you break that you feel the vit C actually helped in preventing this from appearing in a NEW area? its just not all breaks(only some and more specifc types will actually even trigger CRPS at all) just even damage to blood vessels(blood vessels dilation and constriction abilitys just are very much governed by our symp nervous systems) by a tech who overly sticks an area of like a persons arm way too many times to 'just' do a basic blood draw that genarally can cause an 'infiltration(going thru and thru BOTH outter layers(top of vein thru the other side) instead of holding that needle more paralell so the needle actually goes INTO that vessel(instead of right thru it) can do this too or even too many problems starting an IV? or other 'damage to blood vessels too. any light you could shed on this would seriously be appreciated. like i mentioned above, i simply have never ever heard of this before. thanks for the enligtenment tho, marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2011, 05:18 AM   #3
(female)

betchworth HB User

thanks for message.
I realise there are many ways one can get crps even by a sprain etc etc.
I read the British lancet journal report 1995 on the Netherlands where they did a test within hospitals a & e some patients taking vit c others a placebo. Read the results yourself. I think it would be better for everyone to take a harmless amount of vit c, as stated on the product, as a precaution on any injury really, heart attack etc etc if it may lessen the chances of getting crps, but howmany people realise this outside of the medical profession. All of us with crps realise the hellish condition in a flare if it helps spare a few/many it is surely worth informing the public as a whole.
Read it and let me know your thoughts?
I hope this is allowed through the panel?
betchworth

Old 07-24-2011, 06:09 AM   #4
(female)

betchworth HB User

The information about vit c is from the lancet 1999. I said previously 1995. It was also an article in March 2000 not the lancet as far as I can tell from the internet. I do of course have crps and didn't start taking vit c until some weeks after my injury, but I do take a daily recommened dose to help support my system. Had I known about this article prior to the event I might well have acted on it. It's about being informed and having choices - too late for us once one has it. but not too late to have posters etc in hospitals GP surgeries etc. Even a handful a people not developing crps is a start.

Closed Thread