It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2011, 07:03 AM   #1
(female)

heidel HB User
Question Radio Frequency Nerve Block on Neck

Has anyone had a Radio Frequency Block where they burn your facet nerves? I had this done on 6/27 on my entire neck. For the first 4 days following My neck & back of my head were totally numb and I felt nothing. Day 5 the pain came which I was expecting for the first 3 days. That pain has now continue for a total of 9 days. As of Monday it will be 2 weeks. Also my skin remains numb on the back of my head & my neck. I am concerned that the pain is still this intense, they had said the first 3 days would need extra meds but after that it would just be muscle aches. I am hoping that someone else can relate to my experience concidering it is not following the norm.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: Radio Frequency Nerve Block on Neck

I've had lumbar RFA. For me the first 3 days felt like I'd been kicked by a horse! But then after that the pain subsided. The RFA worked for 6 mo and I've been considering another one for a while. Are you in active Pain Mgmt treatment with a PM doc? Can they see you soon to re asses. Sounds like a pain level higher than I'd expect.

The Following User Says Thank You to SpineAZ For This Useful Post:
heidel (07-09-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2011, 11:11 PM   #3
(female)

heidel HB User

Thanks AZspine for your reply I appreciate your help. I do think I may have turned the corner today. The pain has eased up, until now the meds didn.t even touch it where as now I am getting releif. I do think he may have (my PM DR) burned or damaged more nerves because the back of my neck is still numb including the lower part of my head. My skin feels just like an insision feels like after surgery where they cut the nerves. I am scheduled to see my PM Dr on the 27th for a follow up. Thanks again

Old 07-10-2011, 06:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

hello heidel and welcome here. You have 4 herniated disks, why they do not want to do a surgery?.
Can you please tell me, do you have pressure in your neck? I have one spot with severe pressure, it is 24/7 I am to the point of losing my mind. It has been like that for more than 5 years. A whiplash, that is what you had.

I was just wondering how do you live like that, are you able to sleep? are you able to rest your neck on the pillow?. Sorry I ask so much. I had an MRI and it showed two bulging disks.
Oh, whiplash, that is so bad for you.

You had this neck pain for 17 years and you see, doctors do not know how to treat it. They need to work on it, I guess it is not so important.

Last edited by nochange; 07-10-2011 at 06:55 AM.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
(female)

heidel HB User

Nochange thanks for posting. They would not do surgery for the fact that I had multi-levels, they said the condition of my neck would just be a domino effect. If they started fusing (which was the only thing to do) they would only put to much stress on the other already weaken discs. I have read so many posts where people were worse off after they had surgery. So I learned to live with the chronic pain & chose pain meds & other non-avasive pain relief. Including chiro, tens, prolotherapy, accupuncture and more pain meds.

The problem became that made me move on was that the pain meds were no longer helping. I became so tolerant that they could not even get me drugged to burn my root nerves. So when I saw this new doctor he offered some hope of having pain releif. Having my nerves burned and having it redone every 6 months to 3 years may free me from using chronic pain meds that don't work anyhow. You asked how I have tolerated the pain, I lost my 23 year old son in a tragic car accident 6 years ago, that pain has out weighed any pain I have felt in my neck, shoulders, upper back & head. When you go through an experience like that and you survive nothing else seems that bad.

Thank you nochange for your time, support & concern. Have you tried steriod shots for you discs, I had them first and that really helped to releive the sharp pain. Good luck to you. thanks again

The Following User Says Thank You to heidel For This Useful Post:
nochange (07-12-2011)
Old 07-12-2011, 10:01 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

heidel, sorry for your lost. All those car accidents. I have never thought about them before. I,in fact, used to help people not to get into car accident and save some people.
and look, I got punshined in return for me helping people.
Yesterday, my doctor was on vacation(again!)and I had to go to another doctor in the clinic and had to tell him I relaly suffer. He told me not to complain and showed me where is the door. I asked him why are you doing this to me cause I did not even cried(so I have learnt)but he said he rememebers me?(one time been there when my doctor been on vacation again)and he really does not like people with chronic pain and shows them the door. He is also against narcotic pain medication which I get from my doctor. But the oxycontin 40mg stops working also and I have high tolerance to narcotic pain mediations plus I have hard time falling asleep. I need sleeping pills.
I am young (relativelly)and want to go back to work and be productive. I know I can do it but my mind do not work properly(I think)my memory is not good(is it possible cause of chronic pain?, also cannot read and concentrate properly).

Again, I am so sorry for your son. I am the one who helped saving people life from getting into car accident - used to tell people I saw wanting to cross the road and told them "watch out". and as a result I got this injury.
ok, now I cry. NEver go to chiropractic, he made me worse. They are not good for neck pain cause they do manipulation etc.

PErhaps I should do radio frequency? I should ask my doctor. He never shows me the door. He just says doctors cannot cure anything. Some people who have been in car accident got out fine, eventhough they were on crutches. In the neck it is a different story. I have never been interested in car accident but now I know.
You know how the accident happened? the driver backed into the house and that is all. That is how I got the severe whiplash. I am trying to "accept" this situation but I just cannot. When you cannot function and suffer all the time and cannot sleep how can you accept this?

Never done any injection or radio frequency so what do you suggest?
Never done histogram, do you think it is imporant? My doctor said they only do it before surgery and it can cause damage to the neck - is it true?

Old 07-17-2011, 06:33 AM   #7
(female)

heidel HB User

Hi nochange, so sorry you were treated so badly by that doctor. A lot of doctors have bad attitudes about narcotics and they should not treat chronic pain ever. After being told I could not have surgery I went back to my GP doctor & he began treating for chronic pain. After 10 years I became so tolerant that my meds were no longer working. That is when I went to a pain management clinic. Best thing I ever have done, they take care of your whole problem, the chronic pain & the way it effects your life. They make sure you are on the right meds & they help you to live a better life. I am also lucky because I have the lord in my life so I rely on My faith to get me through the hard times.

You were not being punished for helping people you were in the wrong place at the wrong times, that is all. Yes your memory & concentration can be effected by the pain and the meds. I had the same problem but it does pass. You also sound like you are grieving the fact you are in pain & it has changed your life. That also will effect your memory & concentration.

I think you also should try another chiro, perhaps one that is recommended by a friend. That really helped me to control the pain right after my accident. Just because you had a bad experience with one don't think they are all bad.

I am not familiar with a histogram but I know a disco gram is used prior to surgery. It should only be done to see if surgery is necessary. It is a painful diagnostic test to go through.

I will keep you in my prayers. Hope you are able to get the help you need. How long has it been since your accident? Hope I helped

Old 07-27-2011, 05:05 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

hello heidel, how are you? Have you tried the MCU machine? must be done (as far as I know)by physical therapist. It is for whiplash cases years after it happened also.

I have just read about it recently and saw some videos about it.
I am sitting with ice bag on my left side of my neck(it is the left side hurt).

So I was thinking perhaps you can ask your doctor if you are allowed to use that machine?

I know you are doing the radio frequency but perhaps this new machine will be a good idea.
Let me know.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:18 PM   #9
(female)

heidel HB User

Hi Nochange, I tried to look up that machine and could not find any info on it. I am going to start PT in a week. Also I was told that the pain I am still feeling is normal (what a relief). I can expect it for another 4 weeks, one of the it gets worse before it gets better things. They also gave me Lidoerm patches, they seem to help with some of the pain, they said that I need to ice ice and more ice, even if I don't think it is helping. They said that my neck has been so bad for 12 years that it is freaked out by the nerves being burned. But they assure me it will settle down. I will be sure to post how I am doing at the end of 4 weeks. I don't want to give the RFA a bad rap.

Hope things get better for you, have you seen a chiropracter yet.

Old 07-31-2011, 03:58 PM   #10
(female)

sassylynn1998 HB User

Hello,

I have had RFA done 4 times. It helped the first time but after that no success. My experience was: numb on the back of my head, neck, shoulder and upper back. I also had burning sensation (like a sunburn) on my neck and upper shoulder for weeks. I'm glad you were able to get some relief. Have they ever put you on Opana for the pain?

Old 08-02-2011, 07:56 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

hello heidel, how are you? I keep reading what there is to do with people who have herniated disks and are not going to do any surgery.
So there is something called 1)spinal decompression therapy and it is FDA approved.
There is also another system? called 2)mckenzie physical therapy done and it suppose to help with disk pain. I am not sure about this therapy.

Your physical therpay knows about those therapies.
Look heidel, one accident and that pretty much de.stroyed our lives. Chronic neck pain is not good. Wish they had a cure for this. Only we know what it is to live like that.
Let me know how you doing.

Last edited by nochange; 08-02-2011 at 08:00 AM.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:02 PM   #12
(female)

alina30 HB Useralina30 HB User

Hi, I had RFN in March. I was told it could take up to 6 weeks maybe more and maybe less for everything to settle and the relief to truely show itself. Mine took exactly 6 weeks. It is different for everyone. I was really at the point of total frustration thinking it didn't work at all and wearing pain patches the whole time. I could only stand the side effects of the pain med he gave me (vicodin) for a few days and relied on mostly advil or half doses of the vicodin after that. But on the exact day of the 6 week mark it was awesome! I didn't need anything and almost felt like myself again-before the whiplash. So I guess this is just to say hang in there, it can take time for the nerves to totally die and everything to settle down. Unfortunately I have other stuff going on that was made worse from being rear ended, which I still have pain from. And he may repeat the RFN again in a few months. Your doc probably told you the nerves do grow back. It is different for everyone how long that is, maybe 6-9 months or over a year. Hang in there!

Closed Thread