It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
(male)

jw6403 HB User
Will taking Nucynta lower my tolerance to Percocet?

When I asked my pain mgmt doc for substitutes for percocet, he suggested Nucynta & Methadone, & when I asked him to pick one, he picked Nucynta.

I've been taking percocets for about 8 months now (though mostly in the morning & not every day) for symptoms related to a herniated disc, but my tolerance was still building up so i wanted to take a break.

Thefefore I was wondering for anyone who was on percocet (or any other type of opiod) & took Nucynta as a substitute & got back on percocets, if you noticed a drop in your percocet tolerance once you got back on it & generally what your experience was?

Thx in advance for your insight.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #2
(female)

CaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB User
Re: Will taking Nucynta lower my tolerance to Percocet?

I found the nucynta a bit more sedating than percocet and also had some mild withdrawal when I switched over. Then I changed back to percocet due to the development of a sertonin problem. Do NOT take Nucynta with an SSRI such as Prozac. When I switched back, I found my tolerance for percocet diminished a little bit but not much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #3
(male)

jw6403 HB User

Caligirl, I appreciate the reply. However, how long were you on Nucynta before going back to percocet? How much your tolerance drop? Did it go back up? I got a month's supply of Nucynta so I'm hoping for the best. Unfortunately Nucynta doesn't give me as much relief as the Percocet (2 days now), but I don't want to run through my prescription too fast so I'm toughing it out. I have a follow up appt with my doc in 4 weeks so hoping for the best.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
(female)

CaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB User

I was on the nucynta for about 16 months. I did not think it helped much at first but then my PM dr increased several of my doses from 50 to 100 mg, so I was taking two 50 mg tablets per day and two 100 mg tablets a day. After about a week I began to notice a good deal of relief. This is the result of the cumulative effect of the NSRI and not the opiate portion of the nucynta, I think. The NSRI component of the drug is like you're taking Cymbalta. Now I am back on percocet and have been for about 6 months. My tolerance initially went down but this did not last too long. I am only on 5 mg of percocet 3-4 times daily and I can feel the need to increase dosages already. If it weren't for the adverse effect I had to the nucynta I wouldn't have gone off of it. Tolerance develops more slowly on this medication because it has more than one mechanism of action. Hope this is helpful.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #5
(male)

jw6403 HB User

Appreciate the insight. The doc started me on 50mgs of Nucynta, but I've been needing to take 2 to feel any relief. Even then I don't get the same level of relief as the percocets, but I want to work thru it as I really want to lower my percocet tolerance (in case I need to go back on it) & don't want to run thru the Nucynta precription too quickly.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

JW,
Whatever you do, do NOT take more of the Nucynta without clearing that with your doctor first. You don't want to get dismissed from your doctors care for upping the dosage on your own.
If it isn't giving you an adequate amount of pain relief, call your doctor and ask him what you should do about it, and discuss it with him regarding upping the dosage. Taking more of any medication without clearing it with your doctor first can get you into big trouble and dismissed from pain management period. You don't want that to happen.
Back

Closed Thread