It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2011, 08:47 AM   #1
(male)

flgrungedude HB User
What dose should I take? Was at 70mg of Oxy, stopped taking for a month...

I have been on pain medication for years, all from injuries in the Marine Corps. I started with Vicodin but switched to basic perocet years ago. After many years I was up to 75 mg of Oxys per day for four times a day. I figured that was WAY too much so I decided to stop for a while (along with me being in FL I figured it might be harder and harder to get pain medication/Oxys over time, with the new laws) Wasn't easy (but an amazing story if anyone is interested...took me one weak to get clean with only one day of withdrawls and against what MD said to do).

Now I have been totally clean without any medication for about a month, but am having one major problem: MAJOR PAIN. Now that I stopped, I want to go back on but don't want too high of a dose (maybe after a month the 75mg of Oxy will kill me, not sure) but don't want too low of a dose that won't work. I would love to go back to my original dosage and am willing to wait (7.5 Percocet) if necessary to get my body back to normal.

I searched and searched on the internet but could not find ANY answers to re-dosing. Does anyone know anything concerning this? My Doctor is an idiot and I really do not trust his judgement (I would probably switch MD's).

Recap:

Pain medicines for around 5 years for major back pain
Taking 75mg of Oxy 4 times a day for around a year now
Been pain med free for a month

What pain medicine level would/COULD I start at again if I go back to pain medicines? This is not to get high...it is for legit pain relief.

In advance, THANK YOU for anyone that responds. Again, could find no research on the internet at all concerning this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User
Re: What dose should I take? Was at 70mg of Oxy, stopped taking for a month...

An increase in pain is a normal part of stopping long term pain treatment. Were you getting the 75mg/4 times a day ( if I understood you correctly) dosage from a pain management or GP doctor? It may take a few months for your body's own endorphins to kick back in , and you might find if can stick with using over the counter meds , topical ointments and creams, and over the counter heat /ice patches that you can control the pain pretty well after a few weeks....
The only person who can really give you an idea about what the proper dosage would be for you now , would be your pain management doctor. The problem with stopping medications and then resuming them, especially one with the same /similiar base ingredient is that your tolerance will resume fairly quickly to what it was before.....percocet and oxycontin have the same exact base medication- oxycodone. The only differences are that percocet contains tylenol in addition to the oxycodone and oxycontin is supposed to be long acting- 12 hour dosing, rather than 4-6 hours for percocet and the like. Oxycontin also contains no tylenol.
If your medical condition warrants you being back on opiate pain medications, the pain management doctor will make suggestions for you to go back on and have to titrate you back to the proper dosage. If I were you, I might wait a few more weeks and see how you can manage the pain levels without going back on the opiate meds , using the other modalities available , at least for the time being, giving the pain a chance to settle down again and your body a chance to begin making it's own endorphins again and see how you do.
Back

Last edited by backhurtz; 07-12-2011 at 11:21 AM.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:25 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: What dose should I take? Was at 70mg of Oxy, stopped taking for a month...

Okay first off we need to determine if you were on Oxycodone, Oxycontin or Percocet....3 different things.

If you've only been off the meds for a month and didn't use any narcotic antagonists to do so, you should be able to safely go back on your dose...75 mg 4 times a day of any of these is a high dose, esp. if it's Oxycontin. If it were me I would start on a lower dose and work my way back up...and who knows you may not need as much. Don't just go to 300 mgs a day because you were there before. Start off at 100mg a day for a week or so, see how your pain is, then if need be increase it by 50 mg and see how you do. If you can not be on 300mg a day that would be your best shot. With your tolerance levels stretched though you may not have a choice.

I've been on Morphine and Percs for a year now, 120mg Morphine & 60 - 75mg Percs/day, I did 3 years of Oxycontin and Percs before that, and 3 yrs of Fentanyl and percs before that, and before that just percs and vicoden and ultram. So, the longer you go and higher you go the less tolerance you'll have...so you'll just have to keep taking more for it to work and you're already at a high dose.

Take care and don't go to fast....

Semper Fi

Kat

Closed Thread