It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
(male)

ttav HB User
RFA Question

About a year ago I was lifting weights when I felt a very sharp pain in the middle of my lower back. Fast forward through lots of trial and error and you have me about to get some RFA done. I won't be able to see/talk to my doctor until the procedure day (5 weeks from now) but I was wondering if anyone had any idea if I would be able to lift again assuming that the RFA works.

I understand that RFA kills the nerves so that it can't send pain signals to my brain but what I don't understand is what the problem is with the people who qualify for lumbar RFA.

Is there something wrong with our joints or is pain both the symptom and the issue? I only want to know this because I don't want to lift weights if it will still destroy my lower back (even if I don't feel the pain) and I don't really want to do RFA if all it will do is cure a symptom. At least not without looking at all the options available to me at this point.

Thanks for the help guys.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User
Re: RFA Question

Hi there...sorry to hear of your troubles...I am just a pain patient as we all are on here but happy to help with what I can

It is a bit disconcerning that your Dr. has not spoken to you about why you need the RFA procedure, what it's benefits are, and from where your pain is generating...

When you say trial and error...what actual diagnostic tests have been done? An MRI to check for any disc issues that may be bulging or ruptured? Do you have pain down one or both legs? Do you have any numbness down your buttocks, legs or feet?

Usually an RFA is done because of long term back pain caused by degeneration of joints from arthritis...If it were me, I would certainly be verifying if I had those issues...

Pain is only the symptom...If you only had strained muscles...I don't think this procedure is recommended. Along with any major disc issues...it doesn't solve that issue either...so that is why it's very important to have this Dr. explain what is your diagnosis, and why you need this...

For those reasons...RFA can be effective about 70% of the time...along with any type of procedure...it does have risks...and you can read about it online at reputable medical sites or try to speak with your Dr. beforehand.

If it turns out that you do have arthritis in the joints in your lower back and no other issue that includes your discs...I would imagine that the Dr. will ok you to go back to lifting weights safely....

If you have disc issues..especially if any are ruptured...then lifting weights more than a certain amount can cause further damage and possibly injure you greatly...However...depending on your age...most people over 35 have some form of degenerating discs that would show up on a MRI and for half the population that show something...they will never know as it won't cause pain...The other half find out because of the pain...so it's important to know if your pain is caused by this.

So...I hate to repeat myself but it's always crucial to know exactly what a Dr. has diagnosed you with. Once that is known....then if needed...you could get second opinions if you want before this test or go forward if you feel confident in this particular Dr.

I wish you luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
(male)

ttav HB User
Re: RFA Question

Thanks for the speedy reply! Unfortunately I am Active Duty military so our medical technicians leave much to be desired...however I will see about getting an MRI done after the procedure to see if I can go back to weight training.

Closed Thread