It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2011, 02:54 AM   #1
(female)

Odesse HB UserOdesse HB UserOdesse HB User
Question Did I do something wrong?

I'll make this as short and clear as possible.

I was supposed to have my wisdom teeth extracted last week, but ended up not having it done because the oral surgeon decided he would not touch me unless I am in an OR due to my rare and complicated medical condition. I do not have a date scheduled for this yet because the oral surgeon's office has to call me back.

A week before the extractions date, I called my PM's office and left a message, asking what was the correct way to handle the management of my increased pain post-extractions.

I received a call back from a nurse, who sounded downright angry, telling me that what I have now (extended-release morphine and two 7.5/325 hydrocodone per day) would be enough. I politely asked what I should do if that wasn't enough, and she practically yelled, "[the PA] says it WILL be enough!"

Two questions:
1. Did I do something wrong? I've always gone out of my way to do things right, hence the call to their office to ask what was the right thing to do, but the nurse's attitude made me feel like I did something wrong.

2. Should I call them and let them know that the extractions didn't happen due to the reason I explained above? I already feel like they're angry at me, so I don't really feel like communicating with them until my next appointment. It won't make any difference to me - I already know to just use the meds I already have when I do have the extractions done.

For the record, I've been having problems with this PM since March, and I am waiting for an insurance change to take effect so I can change to a different PM because this one is no longer a good fit.

Any advice or support would be appreciated. I'm just feeling really frustrated and confused right now. Was I treated normally, correctly, and fairly? Am I just being overly sensitive?

The following user gives a hug of support to Odesse:
SpinalMalady (07-18-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2011, 09:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Did I do something wrong?

i can really see the 'whys' in what really needs to be done in getting the heck away from this current clinic you have been dealing with there odd. any 'good' pain management doc or 'person' simply should already know that even tho chronic pain patients are on some higher doses of narcotics, we STILL feel NEW pain like anyone else would only becasue our brains have NOT accomodated it yet.

there just IS a 'process' to accomodating ANY real new pain like what would come from having actual oral surgery done that WILL simply 'be there' post op. any new pain IS simply 'added pain' that your base meds are not yet geared for covering at all in most cases, so it does usually take at least a 'bit more' to simply 'cover it while our brains start to feel it, accomodate it and then try and disassociate from it just like before when you started on what is your 'base coverage' now kinda thing? while we DO tend to accomodate new pain more quickly becasue we are already 'used to' having to suck up what can be 'extra pain' on any given day pain, it still DOES take at least a few days to get there. only because that new pain places it 'above your normal" levels with the 'everyday' meds you are already just on now.

in my case, when i have had to have like a tooth pulled, my oral surgeon DID manage that 'extra' pain and this was okay with MY PM as long as i called them immediately after if it was not planned like this happened with a horrid abscess i assumed i would be having a root canal done for(or my dentist calling them, my PM while i was still there too). i would have a talk with that oral surgeon(find out what HE feels should be done) and the PM when you see them again and see what, between the oral surgeon who KNOWS how painful this will be, and the PM, or actually have that oral surgeon call your PM, and see what can be possibly worked out, at least initally like the first few days?
unfortunetly odd, you just do not have a knowledgable PM taking care of what you already have as pain per your other post? but communication between that oral surgeon and the PM is what i would try and get going here so when that time comes, you just have a well understood type of real pain plan in place. but DO speak with that oral surgeon FIRST to see what he or she feels will be needed for your post surg pain.

that really is the best thing i can think of for you odd. depending upon when your next appt just is, you can wait til then to let them know this did not take place as planned, or put on 'hold', or call and leave a message. just always make certain you are simply communicating with that PM with any new stuff that may pop up,that way they can never say you did not at least tell them stuff, ya know?

hopefully for your sake, by the time this actually even GETS done, you will have found some other PM to help you with just even 'appropriately' manageing the pain you already have. but the PA who 'yelled' at YOU IS a clueless idiot if she thinks you actually wont need more to cover any 'new pain', seriously. and this really IS the main reason you just need to find out what that oral surgeons plans are or what he at least 'feels' about what it will take to cover your added pain for at least the first few days post. just so ya know, ICE does wonders too on the outside of your face of the side you would have this done on too. this is ALWAYS what i have done whenever i had to have any tooth pulled. anti inflammatories if you can take them, esp alternating with a narcotic also does wonders for this type of pain.

i DO wish you luck with this odd. but DO speak with that surgeon about this before anything with the PM just to see how HE 'normally' manages this level of new pain, esp if/when he has probably dealt with CP patients before at certain times. sometimes it really does not take a whole lot to cover this becasue we just ARE on other stronger meds at all? so you may get lucky there too. but you most certainly DO have to have that period of accomodating time covered. like i mentioned above, any 'new pain' IS simply that, new pain added to our already there pain. its just how it 'is'. good luck odd, marcia

Old 07-18-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

Oddyssey
I don't have any pearls of wisdom for you, but I did want to jump in and give you a hug and say I'm sorry for how you have been treated. It's just a darn shame that those who have taken an oath "to do no harm" sometimes just don't have a clue, dontcha know . Makes me sick to my stomach. I wish you much luck and many blessings in getting this situation to a speedy remedy.

Hang in there and chin up!! I'll say a special prayer for you!!

Blessings,
Becky

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Last edited by SpinalMalady; 07-18-2011 at 12:31 PM.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
(female)

Thank you both for your replies.

I will not be able to see a different pain doc before this gets done, so I think my best option is to open up communication between the oral surgeon and the PM's office. I told one of his nurses what my PM's PA said and she thought it was weird.

The oral surgeon typically prescribes Percocet after this type of thing, which is stronger than the hydrocodone I am taking now. He also uses local anesthesia, so I'll be numb for a while after it's done and the pain should come back gradually.

The ultimate solution is to get the heck away from this PM practice. It's not right, and this situation is really helping me to see that.

But before that (because that will happen after this tooth-pulling gets done), I will talk to the oral surgeon and see what he can do as far as talking to my PM. His nurse mentioned that he might not do the surgery if I couldn't have better pain control afterward, so if he were to call my PM and tell them that, maybe it'd make them change their tune.

It will all work out. I'm just glad to hear that I'm not being overly sensitive and I was right in thinking that I am not being treated fairly.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

I think it would be best for the Dr.s to speak with one another...Most PM's actually don't prescribe much more for any type of oral surgery...Mostly because the main pain is due to swelling and an antiinflammatory medicine helps this...along with an antibiotic to help as well.

I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled and got by with my regular MSContin with OxyIR 5mg breakthough...I added in some Advils and the antibiotic...The worst pain is usually the first 42 to 78 hours and then starts getting better...As well as many root canals and I've never had any issues...Bags of frozen corn felt really good on either side of my cheecks

So maybe your Oral Surgeon will talk with your PM and you are already on MSContin...and maybe if they will up your Hydrocodone, or maybe add the Percocet to substitute for the Hydro for a few days and some Advil and antibiotic....that should help with all types of the pain for that surgery...

Then after those few days, you can go back to your regular meds...

The main thing is to try and be calm and kind when you speak with anyone...even if they aren't being very nice back to you....just tell them you are asking their advice about what to do in this situation...

I do wish you luck!..

Last edited by Ilovemycutedog; 07-18-2011 at 07:01 PM.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:51 AM   #6
(female)

Thanks for your reply. I'm already having pain from the wisdom teeth because they have huge cavities in them, and ice has worked wonders for that. It should continue to help after the extractions.

Even though I have other body pain that I take the breakthrough meds for, I am thinking of calling the office and just letting them know that the extractions will have to be rescheduled so they don't go and cancel my refill on the breakthrough med that I still have. This PA is so intent on getting me off of the BT med that I'm concerned she may take any opportunity to take it away. If she thinks my facial pain is gone, I'm wondering how likely it could be that she'd cancel my refill.

Can a doctor/PA do this? I just don't want to get to my pharmacy and find out she did cancel the refill because she thought my facial pain was gone. Then I'd really be up the creek. I have pain elsewhere that I take them for (joints, back, neck, etc.) but who knows. I'm probably just being paranoid.

I'll call them anyway when I have a date set to have the procedure done, just to keep them informed.

Last edited by Odesse; 07-20-2011 at 01:52 AM.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:11 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

sounds like a great plan odd. just from my own experience and what i have read here and over many years in the past, it is almost always better to "inform" than to NOT inform when it comes to our PM and stuff like this. like i mentioned before, at least they cannot say you did NOT let them know ya know? communication betwen patient and PM and with any other potential procedures that just are going to be painful simply REALLY needs that extra "touch". its called covering YOUR butt.

and, unfortuently ANY doc or PA or NP who rxes meds pretty much CAN DO just about anything when it comes to anything to just 'do' with our narcotics. it IS their name and DEA number ON those rxes so they DO still have some say about refills or any other aspect of your narcotics.

if i may ask, just exactly what IS your rather rare condition or at least the main generator of your pain odd(besides what ypou have already mentioned, and the wisdom teeth)? it really would help alot to simply even know that. many people here CAN usually offer good tried and true 'other ways' to help you to better manage your pain too(which everyone just truely needs to have those back up tools) if we just know what is you main pain generator and where it is. trust me when i say, someone somewhere here HAS more than likely at LEAST dealt with pain in the area(s) where yours is(or THAT 'type' of actual pain generator too) and could possibly help here in the ole pain boards. but that of course is up to you to divulge. but it could potentially help, thats all.

but i WOULD at least call like the 'nurse line' (as you staed, once you just DO have it set)do not know if yours has one but in my clinic, they DO just have a answering machine where you can leave a message for a nurse to either call you back or to leave info on. just make certain when you do this that you simply mark that date and time on your calender, just once again, to cover YOUR butt. and if per chance someone from there actually just happens to call you back on this, also make CERTAIN to also obtain their name and the date and time of that call and most importantly what you were told by that person too. i personally have had experiences not only in PM/docs/surgeons over many years, but also with places who say i owe them money for something but i just KNOW i do not, never HAD that type of procedure even? i write down EVERYTHING that was stated TO ME when i make that call to them about it, and ESP who stated it as well. when you take the time to really just document stuff, people ARE less likely to give you a bigger hassle since they KNOW you did call and have proof of who you spoke to too and what WAS just told to you as overall 'advice" as what to do in ANY given situation(covering your butt again).

but DO speak with that oral surgeon first and see if he can't just contact your PM FOR you as well as you too and once you find out HIS overall feelings on whats needed, it will possibly help MUCH more than anything 'we' would say as 'only'lil 'patient peons with no real power, ya know? we and our thoughts about stuff really do not matter to them nearly as 'much' as something being recommended by someone like ANY level of actual surgeons would. you, very simply WILL at least have to be able to cover the first few days here til your brain just starts to kick in just TO accomodate when it comes to any 'new pain' for you, and THAT IS a given, just how how brains react to esp new pain. this, we just already do know and i am certain that any 'good' oral surgeon does too. just tell the surgeon that you 'may' need his help in simply obtaining the real solid help(him speaking to your stupid PM) you will post extractions with THIS particular PM who already is not realistically even trying to treat your already there levels of pain, and you are already planning to switch to a much better more knowledgable PM once your ins changes JUST FOR that very reason. they(current PM) simply do NOT truely know the 'hows' in treating any chronic pain type situation PLUS new pain, or 'your" condition either.

a couple things that also help me whenever i just even have any 'problem tooth/syndrome" that is generating pain is using sensodyne. but not how what the label states as how to use it? per my endo when i had a hidious pain syndrome develop after what was just a simple drill and fill only because i have sympathetic nerveous system damage and trigeminal damage that runs kinda midlline/angulated across my R face from my dang cord surgery(totally non responsive to ANY level of narcotics since its sympathetic and another nerve damage as the generators). i was in hell with that and he simply told me to use it, build up that good level of actual 'foam' in my mouth, then just swish THAT around in my mouth(like any mouthwash) for about a minute, instead of what that label states as a 'holding' in your mouth(which just 'sits there doing nothing" which just will not really get into those nooks and crannys at all that way. just swish, and i can tell you it DID eventually help with repeated use to get that whole nightmare finally gone from my mouth and jaw. just ONLY use sensodyne for this, and not like biotene since bio, which is what i HAD been using, will NOT foam like the sensodyne simply does. i also use any alcohol based mouthwash like listerine? only becasue the alcohol in it IS a form of good 'tissue' anesthetic, just like drinking any actual liquor does to the brain(it actually anesthetizes the brain? (thats the 'drunk' we feel)? it WILL kinda sting at first but then it numbs the areas in your mouth, at least for a while anyways. and of course, with responsive and not nerve generated crap, oragel IS wonderful to. i use a Q tip with it squeezed onto it only to make sure i get it in exactly the 'right' place. just stuff i have had to use for insane pain crap that my mouth can generate with ANY disruption of any kind, but only on the R side of my mouth.

i soo DO wish you luck with this whole thing odd, really. no one should be left to suffer with even their 'normal' chronic pain, let alone the much more 'there" pain of ANY level of actual surgical procedure that just creates trauma to tissues and nerve inflammation in your mouth(they use chisels for gods sake when trying to just pull certain types of impacted wisdom teeth, HELLOOO?). any pain that we get in our heads/mouth esp just IS one of the WORST places to even get it since there are many more nerves running thru that entire area and a heavier than normal vascular system as well. so things DO tend to always be more painful up there. and you simply DO deserve much better than what you were told odd. just also remember ALL of the other sugestions you were given for post op too, they really ARE good and tried and true ones too. marcia

Old 07-20-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User

IMHO, you handled yourself completely appropriately and at this point given how your PM's office is acting, I think I would have your oral surgeon contact your PM directly. I don't know why your PM would think that you wouldn't have increased pain after oral surgery (which can be very painful).

I'm sorry about what you're going through and I everything gets resolved.

Keep us posted on how you're doing.

~ Fiona Jo

Old 07-20-2011, 05:07 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I had 3 root canals last November. I told the endodontist I could not and would not accept a prescription for any pain meds. He offered to call the PM doc should the need arise. I managed the pain with what I had (adjustment of when and how I took the meds) and would call the PM doctor if the medications were not enough to manage the pain.

This spring I had both hands done for carpal tunnel surgery. When they took me back to prep I told them "no prescriptions please as I am on a PM contract with Dr. X". I had one hand done 3/23 an one 4/20. At the 4/20 visit upon discharge she handed me a prescription for Percocet. I told her I could not per my PM contract. I asked her to denote on the record, in front of me, that "patient refused RX due to pain management with Dr. X" and had her shred the actual prescription form.

In the case of serious surgery I went to my PM doctor before my spine fusion in 2/2010 to tell him of the date and type of upcoming surgery. He told me, and denoted in the file, I should work with the surgeon on pain meds at discharge as they'd likely have to be more than I regularly took. I also told the surgeon this and he agreed to contact PM if anything needed to be discussed. Going into the hospital I had been on Opana ER 15 mg. Two days before discharge they tried to see if I could get back on that with Norco for break through. Around 8 hr after we tried this I had a severe pain crisis. The doctor on call authorized MS Contin and put me back on IV pain meds. This did work. They kept me an additional day to make sure I had a reasonable level of pain management. Anyone who has major spine surgery has pain so having had it before I knew what pain I should be experiencing.

The surgeon released me with a prescription for 30 days of MS Contin (3x/day) and I made a PM appointment for 2 weeks after discharge (in the hospital 10 days). The PM doctor continued the MS Contin based on how it was working well for me and it was generic where Opana ER was not.

I also wrote up a note on the computer, before surgery, to both doctors stating the date of surgery, type of surgery, name and contact informatino of each doctor and saying "I appreciate coordination of pain management as needed and agreement that Dr. Y (spine surgeon) will manage pain in the hospital and provide discharge medications and I would see Dr. X (pain mgmt) 2 weeks after hospital discharge". That way it was all in writing.

Even when I tore ligaments in my ankle I wouldn't accept a pain medication prescription from Urgent Care. The doctor was concerned based on the severe injury. He wrote a prescription for 5 days of Percocet (I was on Norco) and wrote a note on the spot (brief) to the PM saying "patient said she has a PM contract but based on severity of injury we required she take a prescription for Percocet. Please contact me if you have any concerns"

Last edited by SpineAZ; 07-20-2011 at 05:12 PM.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:09 PM   #10
(female)

The rare condition I have is Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, a connective tissue disorder that can cause joint dislocations, pain, excessive bleeding from even tiny wounds, and slow wound healing, to put it basically.

The breakthrough medication was originally prescribed, and still is prescribed, for this condition.

I started having facial pain about 9-10 months ago - after about 2 years in PM and 1-1/2 years being on breakthrough medication.

The PM people have not diagnosed the facial pain. The plan was to go to a neurologist for a diagnosis for this. My wisdom teeth are fully erupted and normal, but I want to have them removed to see if it will help my facial pain before I waste a neurologist's time.

Having the wisdom teeth removed will not guarantee pain relief, and obviously, it will not take away the Ehlers-Danlos (there is no cure for this - only management of symptoms).

I talked to my mom about it and she said, "The PA isn't thinking, 'This patient has had her wisdom teeth out. I'd better cancel her remaining breakthrough medication refill.'"

The only difference that calling them would make is...nothing. They'll give me the same instructions, and the oral surgeon thinks I'll be ok since my wizzies aren't impacted. The nurse's attitude when I called the first time makes me feel that if I call again, even to just inform them, it will cause them to look at me more and pay undue attention to me. I don't want to raise red flags. They already know about the procedure, and as long as I have it done and follow the directions the PA already gave, I don't see the difference.

I just don't want to get to the pharmacy and find out that my breakthrough medication refill was canceled, but she shouldn't do that because:

1. Nothing has been discussed. I would think they'd only cancel a med if we discussed not needing it anymore.
2. I've done nothing wrong. No bad UAs, no doctor shopping, no lost or stolen meds or scripts, etc.
3. There is no guarantee that having the wisdom teeth removed (if I had been able to go through with it on the day I was supposed to) will relieve the facial pain, and it certainly will not help the pain from the Ehlers-Danlos.

So...what do you think? Mom thinks I should "let sleeping dogs lie."

The oral surgery is barely surgery at all. I'm becoming less nervous about the pain, especially since the teeth don't have to be cut out at all, just pulled. Some oral surgeons around here don't even RX pain meds for something like this.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:06 PM   #11
(female)

maryb45 HB User

just wanted to say I know how you feel. I had shoulder surgery and was not given any additional pain meds to compensate for it and I can tell you I was in alot of additional pain for weeks.

Mary

Old 07-24-2011, 08:47 AM   #12
(female)

Ouch! I can understand a situation like mine, where my teeth are erupted and just like a normal extraction (which will still be uncomfortable), and the surgeon will most likely prescribe something similar to what I already have.

But your situation...major shoulder surgery with no extra meds?! Not cool, unless you're on extremely high doses already.

I still would have liked the reassurance that if my post-extraction pain was out of control, I could get help, though. If that happens, rest assured my mom will be making phone calls (polite but firm ones). Even though I'm an adult, it seems that doctors take her more seriously than they take me when I'm by myself sometimes. I swear, if I hadn't taken her in during my last PM appointment, I would not have any breakthrough meds right now.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:32 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

hey odd, i DO think the best POSSIBLE plan here overall would be to you first speak with that oral surgeon then have HIM contact or your PM contact each other just to work OUT a plan that you will KNOW is in place definitely BEFORE that procedure. this way, everyone just has spoken to each other, hopefully you will get at least a bit of extra coverage and everything will go just fine. but that 'inter communication' between those two entitys IS crucial in order for YOU to just 'have' that good solid plan that everyone is on the very same page about.

like i said, that woman is crazy if she thinks you can simply 'suck this up', at least the first few days(while 'some' extractions are not too bad, others can be pretty traumatic to all the surrounding areas that WILL require some help). you just need the immediate and accomodation period well covered hon.

mary? please don't tell me you had to suffer thru anything like a rotator cuff repair without any extra meds??? good god some surgeons can be sooo incredibly stupid. i really lucked out with my ortho who has so far done two knee surgeries and my horrid rotator tear/ totally snapped that supra repairs surgeries. at least he totally understands not just chronic pain and got me the right meds for that insane post op period, but i also have insane 'syndromes' courtesy of cord injury that he also well understands too. dam i feel for you hon.

that IS such a totally ignorant and sadistic surgeon its just SICK. how long ago was that surgery done with surgeon 'clueless'? you DO have my heartfelt sympathies if this indeed was any type of repairs like i had done, esp if ANY type of bone grinding also had to be done down in there hon, owwee.

so DO try to get everyone ON the very same page odd(if you just can). that WILL help getting this done/in place NOW vs waiting until you are in 'mid suffering'. and DO try like heck to get that oral surgeon to actually call your PM(or you may have to wait til THAT actual day depending how busy he is already) since HE just does know better than anyone exactly what IS going to be required post. this way, you do not even have to talk to that *itch at all, she can talk to your surgeon. just DO talk to him FIRST before any phone calls get made. and also tell him what your PMs response was to just mentioning post op pain as well(getting screamed at? what a you can fill in the word of your choice there). that will at least show him what you are having to deal with(total ignorance and stupidity too), and your bigger fears of having out of control pain to deal with as well. and also let him know that your ongoing pain is in no way shape or form being appropriately treated by them already and that as soon as your ins changes, you are outta there. the surgeon just KNOWS what his type of 'cutting/extraction" pain causes much better than your idiot PM does. while you 'could' probably 'get by' with that and using other ways as mentioned along here in many posts, why put yourself thru that if you seriously do not have to, ya know? this just IS oral surgery. justy DO try and get those lil duckys all in in a row before this happens if you can. i wish you soo much luckwith all this hon,and am hoping things wont be too bad for you post. as usual, keep us all posted. marcia

Old 08-07-2011, 09:18 PM   #14
(female)

maryb45 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
hey odd, i DO think the best POSSIBLE plan here overall would be to you first speak with that oral surgeon then have HIM contact or your PM contact each other just to work OUT a plan that you will KNOW is in place definitely BEFORE that procedure. this way, everyone just has spoken to each other, hopefully you will get at least a bit of extra coverage and everything will go just fine. but that 'inter communication' between those two entitys IS crucial in order for YOU to just 'have' that good solid plan that everyone is on the very same page about.

like i said, that woman is crazy if she thinks you can simply 'suck this up', at least the first few days(while 'some' extractions are not too bad, others can be pretty traumatic to all the surrounding areas that WILL require some help). you just need the immediate and accomodation period well covered hon.

mary? please don't tell me you had to suffer thru anything like a rotator cuff repair without any extra meds??? good god some surgeons can be sooo incredibly stupid. i really lucked out with my ortho who has so far done two knee surgeries and my horrid rotator tear/ totally snapped that supra repairs surgeries. at least he totally understands not just chronic pain and got me the right meds for that insane post op period, but i also have insane 'syndromes' courtesy of cord injury that he also well understands too. dam i feel for you hon.

that IS such a totally ignorant and sadistic surgeon its just SICK. how long ago was that surgery done with surgeon 'clueless'? you DO have my heartfelt sympathies if this indeed was any type of repairs like i had done, esp if ANY type of bone grinding also had to be done down in there hon, owwee.

so DO try to get everyone ON the very same page odd(if you just can). that WILL help getting this done/in place NOW vs waiting until you are in 'mid suffering'. and DO try like heck to get that oral surgeon to actually call your PM(or you may have to wait til THAT actual day depending how busy he is already) since HE just does know better than anyone exactly what IS going to be required post. this way, you do not even have to talk to that *itch at all, she can talk to your surgeon. just DO talk to him FIRST before any phone calls get made. and also tell him what your PMs response was to just mentioning post op pain as well(getting screamed at? what a you can fill in the word of your choice there). that will at least show him what you are having to deal with(total ignorance and stupidity too), and your bigger fears of having out of control pain to deal with as well. and also let him know that your ongoing pain is in no way shape or form being appropriately treated by them already and that as soon as your ins changes, you are outta there. the surgeon just KNOWS what his type of 'cutting/extraction" pain causes much better than your idiot PM does. while you 'could' probably 'get by' with that and using other ways as mentioned along here in many posts, why put yourself thru that if you seriously do not have to, ya know? this just IS oral surgery. justy DO try and get those lil duckys all in in a row before this happens if you can. i wish you soo much luckwith all this hon,and am hoping things wont be too bad for you post. as usual, keep us all posted. marcia
Yes, I did have to deal with the extra pain and no more pain meds. I need to have back surgery and there is no way I'm having it done if they are not going to at least up my meds for the first week thats for sure

Old 08-10-2011, 03:37 AM   #15
(female)

Mary,

Darn right you're not going through that without extra pain relief! Where do some of these doctors get off making stupid suggestions and choices like that? Put your foot down - bring a family member with you to a face-to-face appointment if you have to.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I had my two right wisdom teeth extracted on the 4th and I had almost no pain with recovery. I can't honestly call what I experienced pain; it was more like discomfort. I did fine, and I'm still doing fine. It was nothing to get excited about after all. I'm having the left side done on September 6th and I'm actually looking forward to it - having it all done and over with and whatnot.

Thanks again for all of your advice and support!

Closed Thread