It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
(male)

Jrose414 HB User
ive lived with chronic pain for the last ten years

ive lived with chronic pain for the last ten years im 25 yr old
dx w herniated L5- S1 severve osteoarthritis also nerve damage
ive been through physcial therapy chiro tried ev ery non narcotic
almost on the market currently taking dillaudid 4mg 3 x d as well as
oxy 15 ir and LA med dolophine 60 mg a day i throughly enjoy this forum
it has really helped and made me feel im not alone in dealing with daily pain
so thanks for your stories

Last edited by moderator2; 07-31-2011 at 11:39 AM. Reason: please read the special rules for shaing a doctor's name.

The following user gives a hug of support to Jrose414:
bunny23 (08-15-2011)
Old 08-02-2011, 08:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
Re: ive lived with chronic pain for the last ten years

hello jrose414. You are not alone dealing with chronic pain. I have been suffering from chronic neck pain for the last 5 years. Tried chiropractor(a huge mistake) and tried physical therapist to no avail.

I have bulging disks, it also hurt. I can only function with oxycontin.
This forum is like my home. It really helps to know there are other people like me.
I am sorry you have to suffer, you are young. But that's life. It happened to us and we have to deal with it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2011, 03:31 AM   #3
(male)

muergo HB User

I have lived with chronic pain for over 25 yrs and I have it managed totally.

When I was diagnosed with spodylitis and degenerative scoliosis of the spine over 25yrs ago the surgeon at the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital said there was no surgical remedy then, the danger of operating near the spinal nerve was too great. Now there are other ways of replacing lost discs with plastic.

He started me then on morphine, I asked about addiction, his reply was "Do you want to be addicted to pain or morphine"

I've been taking it ever since then and the dosage has crept up but I am still unaffected mentally, passed by medical board to drive and have an Advanced Drivers membership. and clean licence.

I am also taking Dihydrocodeine Forte DF 118 as required, but usually only need a quarter of the prescribed dose, for some inexplicable reason, morphine does not fix the pain in my ankles/feet and codeine does not help the spinal pain.

I know I'm addicted, when I have not taken any for many hours the withdrawal symptoms come on, yawning, watery eyes etc, but the Oramorph morphine in solution, acts in about 15minutes so I prefer that way rather than tablets as I can minimise my dosing knowing I will rapidly recover, tablets take longer to get into the system.

So don't worry about long term addiction, it can be kept within bounds and you just have to accept that it enables a normal pain free life.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:22 PM   #4
(female)

bunny23 HB Userbunny23 HB Userbunny23 HB Userbunny23 HB Userbunny23 HB Userbunny23 HB User

Muergo... I think you are just dependent, addiction is more psychological.. you would do anything to get your hands on the medication and take 30 to get a high/buzz..etc etc..

Being dependent just means that your body is used to the medication, and when you stop taking it it starts to detox. Is that what you meant?

Jrose414 - I'm sorry you are going through chronic pain, but I am happy you are here. It helps to talk it out sometimes.
I'm 30, and have been dealing with chronic pain for the last 4 years. I have a spinal cord issue (stretching/damage from tethered cord), nerve damage in my legs and feet, although I take Neurontin for that and it seems to help. I am also on OxyContin and Morphine IR.. as well as Savella for Fibro, and Nuvigil for Narcolepsy.

We are young/old.. it doesn't change how we feel. I hope that one day there will be more understanding, and better options for people with chronic pain.
Wishing you all a pain free day!

Old 08-16-2011, 03:50 AM   #5
(male)

muergo HB User

What I mean to convey was that despite my addiction to morphine/codeine at normal prescribed levels it does not prevent me leading a normal life, pain free, provided my medication is always available.

Without it the pain is so overwhelming I can only lie down enduring it until I take some, then it takes 15 minutes to "soak in"! as my family call it.

I don't know what you understood by getting high, that was a reference to a possibility referenced in Wikipedia, I have never experienced one, just serenity, perhaps thats it.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:02 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

dee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB User

I believe Muergo when saying he does not "get high" on his meds but manages his pain. I also that Bunny was using that term "get high" as a possible reference to different addictions. I never got high but know a few people who do off of pain meds. This next quote was not said on the board but at a dual diagnosis group. A construction worker who was a recovering alcoholic also on pain meds said he forgot his dose and ended up going home one day. The theripist yelled at him "You have no business taking a narcotic with your past drinking history! Nobody ever died of pain! You shouldn't be on anything addicting! Does your dr know of you past history?" I tried to explain a few things to the theripist and walked out never to return. Those were her exact words. Nobody ever died of pain. Couldn't believe that statement. Sure you won't die of pain, but I would rather take a pill to go to work, and doing a physcial job. Even a desk job is excrutiating for someone in pain. Later, I"m sure I'll tell you what the social worker told me. Walked out of that one also. Violated my probation, went to jail. But I wasn't going back. Was it worth sticking up for him and me? You bet!! Sorry, I think I got off track.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:01 AM   #7
(female)

bunny23 HB Userbunny23 HB Userbunny23 HB Userbunny23 HB Userbunny23 HB Userbunny23 HB User

Well there is a difference between dependence and addiction. If you are addicted you need help stopping a medication...as in a rehab facility, like with street drugs etc.

The reason I ask is that most people are scared to take pain medication, and doctors hate prescribing them because of FEAR addiction. So I want it to be clear, esp. to a 25 year old that there is a HUGE difference between dependence and addiction.

From National Institute on Health:

*Addiction: “Addiction is a primary, chronic, neurobiologic disease, with genetic, psychosocial, and environmental factors influencing its development and manifestations. It is characterized by behaviors that include one or more of the following: impaired control over drug use, compulsive use, continued use despite harm, and craving.”

*Physical dependence: “Physical dependence is a state of adaptation that is manifested by a drug class specific withdrawal syndrome that can be produced by abrupt cessation, rapid dose reduction, decreasing blood level of the drug, and/or administration of an antagonist.”

I just think that we need to be VERY clear about what we are talking about when we discuss the use or narcotics for a long period of time, or any other medication that can be "habit forming".

What I meant by get a high is.. you need the drug no mater what, and you need to take more and more to get the same effect. As stated above you will do anything to get the drugs, you snort, take more than you need to, crush pills etc. NOT take a normal dose, and when you forget because you have less pain your body goes into a normal withdrawal ( that could happen with ANY medication like blood pressure, antidepressant etc).

Hope that makes it clearer. I hate when people suffer in pain because their doctor thinks they will turn into a drug addict, so they don't even help them with pain, when they clearly need it/ There is a very small chance of addiction, usually if you don't take the medication as directed. That is according to most pain management journals and studies.

Last edited by bunny23; 08-16-2011 at 07:08 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to bunny23 For This Useful Post:
dee088 (08-16-2011)
Old 08-16-2011, 07:51 AM   #8
(male)

KillerClown HB User

I originally injured my back about six years ago. Had a micro-discectomy and that helped. A year later, another injury. Emergency hemilamenectomy. That helped, but pain began approx six months later. PT, Chiro, acupuncture, etc. None of those worked and PT made it much worse. It was there that I learned about the Hurt-Harm Continuum. They swore that it hurt, but that they were not harming me. Yeah, right.
After a huge battle with a PM clinic, I went to my GP and told her I was ready to step in front of a bus. She put me on Oxycontin but the buzzy feeling was too much. Im a recovering alcoholic and I needed something that wouldnt make me feel "high." We finally arrived at MS-Contin 45mg 3x day. Also MS-C 15 IR 2x a day. Along with maxed dose of Nuerontin (3600mg) I was okay for a while.
Recently I have been going through new pains. Stabbing pain where it used to be constant throbbing. The meds arent helping much right now. I just started Cymbalta a few weeks ago. Still only at 30mg. Moving to 40 soon. I havent had much relief on that so far.
The hardest part for me has been the judgement I have encountered from others. As a recovering alcoholic I get questions like "are you really sober if you take narcotics?" I hate those questions. I hate living in pain and I wont lie, I think about suicide sometimes. I have a wonderful wife and she knows how I feel and she lets me talk about it. That helps.
I hope everyone here has someone to talk to. We all need to feel safe and not judged because of our conditions.
Thanks to all here for helping me stay alive today.

The following user gives a hug of support to KillerClown:
dee088 (08-16-2011)
Closed Thread