It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2011, 10:13 PM   #16
(female)

bunny23 HB Userbunny23 HB Userbunny23 HB Userbunny23 HB Userbunny23 HB Userbunny23 HB User
Re: is it unreasonable to ask for a dose increase?

They have a long acting dilaudid now Saucer... When I took it with morphine ER it only lasted for 2 hours for me (the immediate one) it's a good medication but does not last.

Just my opinion/advice... but if you are taking a narcotic/opioid for a long period of time (I think it's 2 weeks +) then you should consider taking a long acting/extended with a medication for breakthrough pain.
When you read the inserts, or start reading about chronic pain, in fact it's even posted on here under the pain management sticky- you have to take the pain meds when the pain is not severe.. or they don't work well. Then you take something in between when needed. You then avoid shocking your body into pain constantly and trying to calm it down again.

My pain is a 3 when I do this. I have a spinal cord issue (damage/stretching) as well as something similar to Fibro.. I know when I wait to take the medication it just does not work correctly and gets me to a 7-8 again.

Talk to your doctors... and think about the long acting. Do your research etc. whatever is best for you.

The following user gives a hug of support to bunny23:
Saucer (08-16-2011)
Old 08-16-2011, 09:23 AM   #17
(female)

Saucer HB UserSaucer HB UserSaucer HB User

Hi Bunny, I believe the MSContin is a long lasting slow release medication. I was taking it twice a day until I noticed touble getting out of my home. I feel so fuzzy in the head, dont drive and even stopped exercising, since I'm not comfortable around people. I'm afraid I'm isolating myself. My doctor wants me to take the 2 again but I've agreed to 1 with the others for breakthrough pain. I'm hoping this is help with the medicine head.
Thanks for the info.
Saucer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2011, 12:07 PM   #18
(female)

bunny23 HB Userbunny23 HB Userbunny23 HB Userbunny23 HB Userbunny23 HB Userbunny23 HB User

Yes, MsContin is.. I didn't see you were on that.

When I first started taking morphine I was very sleepy, and I could not really concentrate, now I am okay on it. The dilaudid I was on made my head spin a bit for the first few times, but then I was okay on it too. I guess your brain and body have to adjust.

Another thing to consider is that pain meds can cause a drop in blood pressure.

Regardless, I really hope you get your pain under control and find something that works for you. It took me a very long time to get a handle on my meds, it can be tough finding something that works. I am in the process of adjusting my narcolepsy meds.. and same thing- one works, the other one gives me headaches etc. Just have to keep going

The following user gives a hug of support to bunny23:
Saucer (08-16-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to bunny23 For This Useful Post:
Saucer (08-16-2011)
Closed Thread