It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
(male)

sikofit HB User
is it unreasonable to ask for a dose increase?

hey everyone! I've been prescribed 10mg oxycodne/6x a day for over 10months now. before that I was on 30mg oxycodone 3x a day for 8mos -not from this doctor but I told him what I had been taking. hes asked me numerous times(pre-op) if the dose was cutting it and while I could of, and could still use an increase I told him I don't want to increase it unless absolutley necissary. during most of this time although the prescription says 1 every 4/hrs and I usually take it how I need it. IE when I'm working, while I could definatly use more, I limit myself to 4 a day(16hr days) because I don't want to push myself too far and hurt myself anymore. then on my days off I'll take anywhere from 6-8 a day depending so I have the will and energy to actually leave my house. on my days off sometimes(when I need to) I'll take 2 at once which will bring my pain down to a 4, often 10mg only brings my pain down to 7 -6 on the good days.

I had a microdiscectomy on may 2nd and the doctors and I was hoping to be cutting the dose down which doesn't look like it will be happening anytime soon. so last month my doc put me on a narcotic contract which is fine how ever now that I'm supposed to be following the instructions to a T I was thinking I should ask for an increase to 15mg, maybe only 5x a day? because the pain rarely interfeeres with my sleep now that I'm back working which wipes me out and also taking valerian root to help me sleep so I don't need one at bed time.

reason being, other than that a 10mg pill only feels like 400mg of ibprofen(which I can't take anymore b/c NSAIDs have wrecked hell on my gut so I now also take an herbal anti-inflamatory) but also if they called me in for a pill count I would be short some.
my doctor has always been very helpful but now that I'm post op and am supposed to be feeling better(which I am to a point)I'm afraid he's going to be reluctant. I'm always truthful with him and will tell him all this when I see him next. what do you guys think about it?

fyi-
the discetomy was on L4-L5, the pain in my legs, back and scrotum has significantly been reduced and no longer puts suicidal thoughts in my head but I still have nerve pain in smaller portions on my left leg, pain in my right leg is gone compleatly, the pain in my scrotum is no longer debilitating how ever occasional stabbing pain still stops me in my tracks at time.

I alo had 5 bulging discs from L1-S2 which I'm curious to see how they look now but they won't do another MRI just to see.

the worst is the pain in my hips(mainly left side) that makes my upper thigh/groin muscles tight, w/ a very dull & achy pain that burns during & after work and it wraps around to that small muscle inbetween your pelvis and spinal colum. and with the pain on the outside of the top of my femur and ball socket joint in my hip confirms my suspicions(especially after surgery) that theres something wrong in my hip like a cam impingment or something.

My left leg is also 1/8th of an inch longer than my right from when I broke my femur(which also hurts and feels broken at times right where I broke it)

I also take 500mg robaxin 3-4x a day how ever I think I'm going to have him switch me back to flexeril which worked better and I felt better about just because of the 10mg compared to 500mg(I hate putting large doses of meds in my body)
this pain contract just has me nervous about everything cause I've never been on one and if I was to ever get cut off while I still need pain killers, I'd have to quit andI don't think I could deal w/ any more misery than I deal with now.
please and thanks for all comments

Last edited by sikofit; 08-02-2011 at 11:57 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
(male)

sikofit HB User
Re: is it unreasonable to ask for a dose increase?

I was just reading another thread and something feelbad said really spoke to me "it can be undermedicated pain and a "drug seeking APPEARANCE which IS what you mentioned above as the pseudo addiction"
I've kept myself undermedicated cause I despise being on drugs and was afraid of developing a physical or mental dependency on them so have been taking enough to take the edge off just enough to make it bareable. and now that I'm working again on my days off I often have the thought "just take another one" which I don't like having and think if my dose was increased some I wouldn't be having these thoughts. today I've already taken 30mg since 7am along with 2robaxins and my hip & sacrem are still up in the 5range of pain and stiffer than heck. I still spend almost all of my free time laying on ice on the couch and just want to get some normalicy back in my life like going to the beach, socializing.. having a girlfriend etc
I'm just afraid to ask my doctor for an increase at this point post op because I'm afraid he might start thinking I'm just seeking and will errode his trust in me. I felt that way when he had me sign the contract but he told me its just cause everythings getting stricter and hes got to protect himself. and he's known how I take my meds but now that I'm on a contract I could still get in trouble if they called me in on the wrong day.
I'm going to ask for another MRI (which would be the 3rd in 18mos) w/ contrast of my hip but I'm doubtful these cheap ins companies will approve it.
thoughts? opinions? am I just worrying to much?

Old 08-02-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

Sik,
You already know, that your taking more than prescribed or less than prescribed is a violation of your contract. The thing that worries me is that you say that you take more on your days off so that you have the motivation and energy to do things....that is definately going to lead to problems for you, both with the doctor and with your use of medications. It doesn't matter what our reasons may be, we are supposed to follow the directions on the bottle/ones given to us by the prescribing doctor. If there is an issue with the medication not covering our pain, then we all need to call the doctor to find out what he wants us to do to handle it. If you should get called in for a pill count, you will most probably be released from the doctors' care and it will wind up in your permanent medical records, that will follow you to any other doctor you may see down the road.
If you don't need all of the meds during your work week, that's great news! But that doesn't mean that you can just add one or two extra doses to your regular doses. If you should happen to over dose, the police, health departments, DEA, and the state medical boards, as well as your loved ones are going to look to your doctor for an explanation. And they will hold him accountable.
If you are taking too much or too little of your meds, and you are made to give a random urine screen, the testing they do today, can and does show the levels of the meds in your system. Having too much or too little is not abiding by your contract and can result in your dismissal from pain management.
As far as increasing your dose, or asking for one goes, it might be far better in terms of pain relief if you tried a medication for nerve pain. Lyrica, topamax, cymbalta, or gabapentin, and there are many old anti depressants that work really well in regard to treating nerve pain. A TENS unit may also help. Cold patches and heat patches that you can purchase over the counter, or any of the pain relief rubs might also help.
There are tons of other options for treating nerve pain, that are far more effective than increasing your mechanical pain medication.
Back

Old 08-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Sikofit- I'm really sorry you are having pain issues, as fellow CPer's we can all understand.

First, I want to caution you about taking herbal meds along with opioid medications unless your PM doctor says it's ok to mix them. You see, some of the herbal medications will actually interfere with the opioid medication and cause increased pain. Some herbal remedies will also interact badly with your prescribed meds and cause harmful effects to your body as well. Some herbal remedies are ok to take with narcotic meds (like melatonin for sleep is ok with some narcotics), but some have huge contra-indications (such as St. John's Wart- highly advised against while taking many narcotic meds) so please, if your PM doctor didn't say it's ok to do the valerian root, talk with him.

I have to agree with Back in that it seems backwards that you take less medication when you are at work and more when you have the day off. It seems like it would be the other way around. One of my meds is a pain med, and my doctor is ok with me taking less if I'm having a "good pain day", but when I do that, my scrip lasts for more than 30 days, so I don't request my refill with the pharmacy on day 30 because I still have some pills on that day. My Pm doesn't however allow for me to take more than prescribed in a day if I'm having a bad pain flare unless he approves it. I mean, If I take only 3 of my pain meds one day because I'm actually having less pain (which isn't often at all) that doesn't mean that I can take my regular prescribed doses PLUS the three I didn't take the day before. I have to take all of my medications, in their bottles to each appointment and I let him know right there on the spot if there were any days that I was able to take less and he's fine with that because he also knows that if there has been a day or two that I've taken less and I end up with extras at my 30 day mark, I don't go get a refill on day thirty, I get the refill later because I still have some & don't need that refill on day 30. Most months I do have to take the full doses so it's only a time or two a year that I have any extras.

Also, Back brought up other types of meds that are often used for nerve damage pain, Neurontin being one of them. Neurontin, for me, has been a wonderful tool in my treatment plan. Once we were able to get to the right dose, I've had decreased nerve pain, less swelling episodes, and also when I do get bad nerve pain flares, they don't seem to last as long. This medication I take every day as prescribed because it's not an "as needed" medication. It's one of those meds that need to stay at a steady blood serum level, thus the need for steady daily dosing. It also helps with sleep too- so that's another benefit.

I can also suggest use of an Alpha-Stim. I use this more than my TENS unit because it does wonders. It's similar to a TENS, but in my opinion and experience with both, works about 10 times better.

As far as topical creams/gels, I use something called Bio-Freeze and get great results from that too. It's not a presciption medication and is also affordable.

I don't know what you would consider an acceptable level of pain, but for me, my pain management doctor has me on a regimen that has brought my pain down to the 5-6 range from what was a constant 8-8.5 with flares to a 9. I'd love for them to be more like a 4, but I'm thankful that I'm able to keep them down at all because living with a constant 8-8.5 isn't fun and doesn't allow for much fun ya know?

My only suggestion is that, if you feel your current treatment plan isn't quite covering your pain needs, talk to your doctor about it & see if the two of you can come up with something that will work to allow you to be a little more comfortable.

Best wishes and please keep us posted.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

hi sik-

if i understand correct you are not on a LA narcotic,but only a SA one; the oxy 30mg, which is typically used for bt pain? well if that's the case your rx/bottle directions prob
say something like "take 1 every 6hours-PRN-(as necessary) for pain. that doesnt mean
take one every 6 hrs -regardless if your having pain or not. it's the
LA meds you must take on a schedule or you risk withdrawals big time. i dont
always take my bt meds if i feel dont need it on any given day, in fact on the
days i dont take allotted amount i save them for when i get a
really bad flare and

may need an xtra one today. i take my la med and never skip a dose cuz
i feel pain not too bad-that is HUGE no no; but my bt meds arent to be expected
to be needed , say every 6 hours if thats what i am allowed to due or there
is something wrong with my baseline(la narcotic)med. i am given a 30 day supply
of my sa BT med, and as long as i dont take'm all in a weeks time or anything silly
like that-my pm doctor is aware i'm gonna sometimes get some nasty bt pain esp
at nite n may take an xtra-some days i only need one. the doctor expects that
at least mine does, and sometimes ihave 2 or 3 left over(bt) at my monthly
appt, sometimes none, on 30th day, never any problem with my urines,etc

if you are doing the rt thing, discussing those bad flare ups and the need for xtra
ose and everything's on the up n up-there should be no worrys. a huge thing
is never try to LIE to your pm-if you have an exceptional one like i due-
you will only make yourself look foolish n get booted rt outa there.

by the way if i could get my pain level to 5(and by the way in pm this is
considered successful!)i would be soooooo grateful as i currently live with a pretty
constant 7 even on my meds-for me its about quality of life.

take care n be well friend

Last edited by BB07; 08-02-2011 at 10:32 PM. Reason: please excuse my posting-due to some really bad pain

Old 08-02-2011, 11:31 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Sik,

Have you and your doc discussed LA pain meds at all? Because it seems to me from what your saying that you are starting to get in dangerous grounds with your SA meds. If your taking more pills on your day off because they give yu an energy boost and you like them....well that's getting pretty close to addictionland. You need to put a stop to that right now, as you are also in violation of your contract.

It seems like it would be better for you to take a Long Acting (LA) med such as oxycontin, fentanyl, or morphine, these you would only take once or twice a day and they last for about 12 hours coverage, 'cept for the Fentanyl and that is a patch changed every 72 hours.

I'd seriously consider some of the changes before you get in trouble with your pain doc. And hopefully the stronger med will hlp manage the pain, because thats the goal...managing pain, unfortunately they don't offer a "Get Rid of the Pain" Clinic!

kat

Old 08-03-2011, 08:01 AM   #7
(female)

Tryin 4 help HB UserTryin 4 help HB User

Hey Sik,
I just want to add to what Kat said....from personal experience. This does sound a lot like me several months ago. I would struggle through the work day taking 1 pill, so that I could have 2 or 3 when I got home or on week-ends (so that I could do more things at home and with my kids.) I understand what you are saying and have been there. But, listen to Kat, cause she is totally correct. This type of thinking and behavior led me down a long, scary road to addiction and illegal behaviors. I didn't do it right, but you can....talk to your doctor now about some long-acting medications!!

Angela

Old 08-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #8
(male)

sikofit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhurtz View Post
Sik,
You already know, that your taking more than prescribed or less than prescribed is a violation of your contract. The thing that worries me is that you say that you take more on your days off so that you have the motivation and energy to do things....that is definately going to lead to problems for you, both with the doctor and with your use of medications. It doesn't matter what our reasons may be, we are supposed to follow the directions on the bottle/ones given to us by the prescribing doctor. If there is an issue with the medication not covering our pain, then we all need to call the doctor to find out what he wants us to do to handle it. If you should get called in for a pill count, you will most probably be released from the doctors' care and it will wind up in your permanent medical records, that will follow you to any other doctor you may see down the road.
If you don't need all of the meds during your work week, that's great news! But that doesn't mean that you can just add one or two extra doses to your regular doses. If you should happen to over dose, the police, health departments, DEA, and the state medical boards, as well as your loved ones are going to look to your doctor for an explanation. And they will hold him accountable.
If you are taking too much or too little of your meds, and you are made to give a random urine screen, the testing they do today, can and does show the levels of the meds in your system. Having too much or too little is not abiding by your contract and can result in your dismissal from pain management.
As far as increasing your dose, or asking for one goes, it might be far better in terms of pain relief if you tried a medication for nerve pain. Lyrica, topamax, cymbalta, or gabapentin, and there are many old anti depressants that work really well in regard to treating nerve pain. A TENS unit may also help. Cold patches and heat patches that you can purchase over the counter, or any of the pain relief rubs might also help.
There are tons of other options for treating nerve pain, that are far more effective than increasing your mechanical pain medication.
Back
thanks for the reply back! I don't take as many as prescribed at work because working is how I messed my back up so I go easy on them at work so I don't get numb and hurt myself anymore. usully I get up into 7's while working taking 10mg 4x and not 6x a day. On my days off I usually take those extra two so I'm not glued to the couch & ice all day and bring myself down to around 5. I just got put on the contract and never thought of how I take them as a big deal so I guess I'll discuss that w/ my doc next appointment.

I tried gabapentin last year but I thought it messed with my head too much, I'm depressed as it is and it put me in a really dark place I thought. I've wondered about Lyrica, topamax & cymbalta but those magizine ads that lists all the possible side effects scared me off. anyone have any personal expierence with any of those? are they as scary as they sound?

and is a tens unit by perscription or an OTC thing? I'll have to look into one for sure.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:44 PM   #9
(male)

sikofit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzybug View Post
Sikofit- I'm really sorry you are having pain issues, as fellow CPer's we can all understand.

First, I want to caution you about taking herbal meds along with opioid medications unless your PM doctor says it's ok to mix them. You see, some of the herbal medications will actually interfere with the opioid medication and cause increased pain. Some herbal remedies will also interact badly with your prescribed meds and cause harmful effects to your body as well. Some herbal remedies are ok to take with narcotic meds (like melatonin for sleep is ok with some narcotics), but some have huge contra-indications (such as St. John's Wart- highly advised against while taking many narcotic meds) so please, if your PM doctor didn't say it's ok to do the valerian root, talk with him.

I have to agree with Back in that it seems backwards that you take less medication when you are at work and more when you have the day off. It seems like it would be the other way around. One of my meds is a pain med, and my doctor is ok with me taking less if I'm having a "good pain day", but when I do that, my scrip lasts for more than 30 days, so I don't request my refill with the pharmacy on day 30 because I still have some pills on that day. My Pm doesn't however allow for me to take more than prescribed in a day if I'm having a bad pain flare unless he approves it. I mean, If I take only 3 of my pain meds one day because I'm actually having less pain (which isn't often at all) that doesn't mean that I can take my regular prescribed doses PLUS the three I didn't take the day before. I have to take all of my medications, in their bottles to each appointment and I let him know right there on the spot if there were any days that I was able to take less and he's fine with that because he also knows that if there has been a day or two that I've taken less and I end up with extras at my 30 day mark, I don't go get a refill on day thirty, I get the refill later because I still have some & don't need that refill on day 30. Most months I do have to take the full doses so it's only a time or two a year that I have any extras.

Also, Back brought up other types of meds that are often used for nerve damage pain, Neurontin being one of them. Neurontin, for me, has been a wonderful tool in my treatment plan. Once we were able to get to the right dose, I've had decreased nerve pain, less swelling episodes, and also when I do get bad nerve pain flares, they don't seem to last as long. This medication I take every day as prescribed because it's not an "as needed" medication. It's one of those meds that need to stay at a steady blood serum level, thus the need for steady daily dosing. It also helps with sleep too- so that's another benefit.

I can also suggest use of an Alpha-Stim. I use this more than my TENS unit because it does wonders. It's similar to a TENS, but in my opinion and experience with both, works about 10 times better.

As far as topical creams/gels, I use something called Bio-Freeze and get great results from that too. It's not a presciption medication and is also affordable.

I don't know what you would consider an acceptable level of pain, but for me, my pain management doctor has me on a regimen that has brought my pain down to the 5-6 range from what was a constant 8-8.5 with flares to a 9. I'd love for them to be more like a 4, but I'm thankful that I'm able to keep them down at all because living with a constant 8-8.5 isn't fun and doesn't allow for much fun ya know?

My only suggestion is that, if you feel your current treatment plan isn't quite covering your pain needs, talk to your doctor about it & see if the two of you can come up with something that will work to allow you to be a little more comfortable.

Best wishes and please keep us posted.
thanks ozzy! that is some really good info regarding herbal supplements, I'll call my doc's nurse tomorrow and check on that to make sure theres no complications.

I wish I had extras at the end of the month! I guess this thread was more directed at me than my doctor. hes asked me a couple times if they were effective and if I needed an increase but I'm still hesitant about uping the dose as I'm young and...looks like I'm stuck in this box for life. acceptable level of pain, ideally 5 or below, right now I'm at 6-8 with a rare 9.

thanks for suggesting an alpha stim, I just googled it and it looks pretty interesting! as far as topicals I use tiger balm ultra which is the strongest stuff out there IMO although I burn through those little jars in ~2weeks!

I guess I'll just carry on the way things are until my next appointment in 2mos.. well I'll read up more on those other nerve pain meds and might schedule an earlier appt but as far as narcotics go..? still don't know what to do as I still don't want to increase though the pain is wearing me out!

Last edited by sikofit; 08-11-2011 at 05:49 PM.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #10
(male)

sikofit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB07 View Post
hi sik-

if i understand correct you are not on a LA narcotic,but only a SA one; the oxy 30mg, which is typically used for bt pain? well if that's the case your rx/bottle directions prob
say something like "take 1 every 6hours-PRN-(as necessary) for pain. that doesnt mean
take one every 6 hrs -regardless if your having pain or not. it's the
LA meds you must take on a schedule or you risk withdrawals big time. i dont
always take my bt meds if i feel dont need it on any given day, in fact on the
days i dont take allotted amount i save them for when i get a
really bad flare and

may need an xtra one today. i take my la med and never skip a dose cuz
i feel pain not too bad-that is HUGE no no; but my bt meds arent to be expected
to be needed , say every 6 hours if thats what i am allowed to due or there
is something wrong with my baseline(la narcotic)med. i am given a 30 day supply
of my sa BT med, and as long as i dont take'm all in a weeks time or anything silly
like that-my pm doctor is aware i'm gonna sometimes get some nasty bt pain esp
at nite n may take an xtra-some days i only need one. the doctor expects that
at least mine does, and sometimes ihave 2 or 3 left over(bt) at my monthly
appt, sometimes none, on 30th day, never any problem with my urines,etc

if you are doing the rt thing, discussing those bad flare ups and the need for xtra
ose and everything's on the up n up-there should be no worrys. a huge thing
is never try to LIE to your pm-if you have an exceptional one like i due-
you will only make yourself look foolish n get booted rt outa there.

by the way if i could get my pain level to 5(and by the way in pm this is
considered successful!)i would be soooooo grateful as i currently live with a pretty
constant 7 even on my meds-for me its about quality of life.

take care n be well friend
thanks BB! yes no LA meds just a SA. originally my doc prescribed oxycotin but my insurance wouldn't cover it so we switched to oxycodone 10mg 6x/day as I find that they wear off around ~4hrs for some reason with me. although the pain is constant if I have a few days off in a row I'll often not take any pain meds on say the 3rd day when I'm not so sore to take a break and make sure I don't get withdrawals which I haven't yet.

I'm not one to lie especially to doctors, my problem is getting whats in my head out of my mouth. I've fractured my skull 3x and have had multiple TBI's to my frontal lobe and don't know how to describe my poor communication skills any more than that.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:29 PM   #11
(male)

sikofit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
Sik,

Have you and your doc discussed LA pain meds at all? Because it seems to me from what your saying that you are starting to get in dangerous grounds with your SA meds. If your taking more pills on your day off because they give yu an energy boost and you like them....well that's getting pretty close to addictionland. You need to put a stop to that right now, as you are also in violation of your contract.

It seems like it would be better for you to take a Long Acting (LA) med such as oxycontin, fentanyl, or morphine, these you would only take once or twice a day and they last for about 12 hours coverage, 'cept for the Fentanyl and that is a patch changed every 72 hours.

I'd seriously consider some of the changes before you get in trouble with your pain doc. And hopefully the stronger med will hlp manage the pain, because thats the goal...managing pain, unfortunately they don't offer a "Get Rid of the Pain" Clinic!

kat
thanks kat! since my ins didn't cover oxycotin my doc has been trying to push fentenayl patches on me but I don't want to touch that stuff! I had an uncle die from those things years ago and from what I've read its more potent and addictive than herion so no thanks!

and my pain meds don't give me energy they just lift that worn out feeling being in bad & constant pain causes. are those the only 3 LA's out there? mscontin isn't covered by ins and I'm not a fan of morphine as it definatly rough comming off of although hydromorphine isn't too bad but is it LA?

--------------------------------------------------------------
anyways thanks for all the replies everyone! I def good some good info & insight out of it and will try talking to my doctor about everything and see if he has any suggestions and will also look into those nerve pain meds more. any more input is welcome & appreciated!
thanks again

Last edited by sikofit; 08-11-2011 at 06:31 PM.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:14 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Sikofit,

I'm afraid you've been rather grossly mislead concerning Fentanyl Patches. Yes Fent is a very strong narcotice, but it has pretty much the same side effects and issues as Oxy's. As far as it being likened to Heroin....that's just ridiculous! I was on Fent. patches, 100mg patch on a 48 hr. rotation and I never had a problem with them. They didn't effect me in any way, no euphoria, sleepiness, no diet change. They did help with the pain though. The only reason I switched back to Oxy, was they were a bit of a pain to deal with, keeping them on and covered, etc. And with pain being joint pain, primarily in my hips and knees....I have to be able to take scalding hot baths, and when your wearing the fent patch you can't.

So, you might wanna get some other opinion on the Fent patches, alot of folks on this board uses them\or has used them without any trouble.

Good luck on your journey and take care.

Kat

Old 08-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

I have to agree with Kat, fentanyl patches were the best in the way of pain relief for me of all of the medications that I have tried so far. I was on 150mcg and they brought my constant pain levels of 8-8.5 down to 6 or 7, which for me , was a huge improvement.......
I stopped using them because I was having difficulty keeping them on during hot summer months. In fact, now that we are going to be going into fall again very shortly, I am giving a lot of thought to going back on them for the fall, winter and spring months.......
I had none of the negative side effects of those patches, and most people that I know that have been on them, haven't either.
The thing with any medication is that you need to know that there will be side effects, most of which will disappear in a few days to two weeks. When you try any new medication, you should give it at least that long, unless you have an allergy to the medication ( a true allergy), or the side effects become so unbearable that you simply can not tolerate them.
Back

Old 08-15-2011, 06:56 PM   #14
(female)

bunny23 HB Userbunny23 HB Userbunny23 HB Userbunny23 HB Userbunny23 HB Userbunny23 HB User

Hi,
I'm happy you are feeling at least a bit better after the surgery.

Your hip issues and pelvic area burning are VERY familiar to me. Mine turned out to be strictly linked to pelvis. Because of the nerve damage in my legs I started clenching all of my muscles, and not walking correctly. I didn't do it on purpose, it just kept on happening. Well it turned out all of the burning, including everything that went down my legs was related to pelvic muscles! I even had burning as far as my whole back side (including back of thighs) and almost down to my feet.

I had to go into physical therapy for those muscles, they became as hard as a rock and were really messing with the nerves, also I used a TENS and went in for massage. I did add heat pads and warm baths at home to help relax the muscles.

A lot of it, for me, was relearning what normal muscle function was, and relaxing those muscles during the day. They had me set a timer for every 15 min, where I had to consciously relax that area, but as I said, I went in for regular PT, and pelvic PT.
If you have frequent urination (more than 8 a day) you may have a pelvic issue...

I do take Neurontin and Savella on top of narcotic pain meds (other issue) so that is something to consider for nerve pain (there are also variations of those like others stated).

I had surgery for a spinal cord issue, and I was told that the surgery would not help with pain.. so there is never a guarantee esp. with back pain. I don't think there are a lot of people who have surgery and are 100% pain free.

Like everyone has already stated, it sounds like you are not on a long acting pain med, which may be the issue here because you are constantly going from high to low.. not a stable dose to keep the pain at a "normal" level. I did that too for a very long time.. you may want to speak to your doctor.
How many patients are pain free after your kind of surgery?
Are they on pain medication for a long time?

I'm a bit confused, who is giving you the pain meds? A pm? or your surgeon? If it's the surgeon get a PM.. if it's a PM maybe have the surgeon set some expectations for your recovery with the PM, so that they understand that this may be a long term thing.

And please look into PT.. it may be very helpful esp. if you are having hip/pelvic problems.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:17 PM   #15
(female)

Saucer HB UserSaucer HB UserSaucer HB User

Hi All
I tried the Fentanyl patches last week, the 12.5 mcg and after 3 hours I pulled it off. My head was burning and hurt so bad, like nothing I've ever felt before.
I am at a stage now now of constant, unbearable pain.
I went from vicodin after the surgery in October to morphine in April (I believe). I find the morphine after these few months giving me a strange feeling around people. I dont want to leave my home and literally have anxiety attacks when I do leave. I tried taking Diladud 4 mgs 4 times a day to no avail. My doctor wants me back on the MsContin and I'm getting frustrated by the lack of choice in meds for these ailments.
He refuses Oxy which from what I've heard is probably a good thing.
I've been on Vicodin, MSContin, Diladud and Baclofen.
Saucer

Congential fusion C2-T3

Closed Thread