It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
(male)

ESPplayer7 HB User
Drug testing

Hey guys I was out of my pain pills early and I am hoping to see my doctor late this week. A family member that also has problems with pain gave me a low dose oxy (15 or 30 mg I forget) and I was wondering what would happen if I test positive for him on that. I am more than happy to explain to him I was out early. He has me on Norco 4 times a day and I have been on it for a very long time and he seems to be a highly conservative doctor. I dont like to tell him I am taking more than one at a time because I dont think he would help me anymore but taking one does nothing for me. People I have talked to that have a similar injury are on a heavier meds than me so I may have to switch even though he is a really nice guy. Long story short, what will happen if I tell him my aunt gave me one to get me buy and I test positive, will I get the boot?

Old 08-16-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User
Re: Drug testing

You may very well get the boot, taking medication from anyone other than who is it is prescribed for is illegal and plain old dangerous. 15 or 30 mg of oxycodone is by no means a small dose. It can and does kill someone who is not opiod tolerant.
If you have been in pain management for 4 years, you should already know that running out early is reason for being dismissed from your pain management doctors care, as well as getting meds not prescribed for you is also reason for the doctor to dismiss you.
I don't mean to sound harsh, but we all have to play by the rules when it comes to following the directions of our doctors and the contracts that most of us have to sign. If the dosage of your current meds aren't working for your pain levels, then you have to talk to your doctor and see what else can be done to manage your pain levels, and you have to be open to using other modalities to treat the pain, including simple things like ice, heating pads, over the counter pain patches and ointments, etc....TENS, physical therapy are just a few of the adjunct things that can be done to help bring the pain down, accupuncture, meditation, and other means can also help. You have to remember that pain medications are only one means of trying to bring pain levels down to somewhere manageable.
If I were you, an honest discussion with your doctor about what you are really taking dosage wise, and how it works or doesn't work is the best and only option that you have to even begin to get your pain levels treated adequately.
Good luck to you and don't take anyone else's pain medications ever. It's not worth the cost.
Back

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2011, 06:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Back is right. That sort of thing will get you kicked out and your chart flagged as non compliant. If your pain isn't being covered, call your doctor and tell him that during the month instead of taking more than scripted.

Is your doctor your GP or is he a PM doctor? If he is your regular GP, you may need to ask for a referral to a PM doctor who is more willling to try other modalities and meds for you.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

babs17 HB Userbabs17 HB User

Curious. What ever happened when you saw your PM MD?

C4-C7 Herniations
T5-T10 Herniations
L3-S1 Herniations
Thoracic Fusion via Thoracotomy 10/06

Closed Thread