It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2011, 09:13 AM   #1
(female)

Hopingforbetter HB User
Cold turkey off pain meds - could use support

I have been a chronic pain patient (failed lower back surgey syndrome) since 2003. I have been taking oxycontin 80 mg tid for pain for at least 3 years now and methadone before that. Have horrible side effects - bowels shut down, fatigue. Tried a pain pump but had a bizarre reaction - my nasal passages shut down - and I had to go back to the oral meds.

I finally decided I couldn't take the side effects any more. Had developed an anal fissure that wouldn't heal due to the constipation. Had to decide to either taper down the meds slowly over 4-6 months or go off cold turkey. Decided that cold turkey would be better. Thought I wouldn't stick to the taper.

I took 2 weeks off work and 11 days ago I took my last dose of narcotics. My dr gave me a muscle relaxant, a barbituate, and neurotin for the withdrawal symptoms. I thought this would be a short trip in hell followed by a reawakening, but it's turned out to be a long trip in hell. This is so hard. I can't sleep more than 3 hours a night and in 4 days I have to go back to work. I can't imagine doing that. I can barely put one foot in front of the other. Everything hurts. Not just my lower back but every muscle in my back. Starting to think this was a mistake.

Has anyone gone through this? If I had known the consequences of staying on the pain meds after my first surgery, I would have done this then. This is no kind of life either way.

The following user gives a hug of support to Hopingforbetter:
bubbli3 (12-09-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Whoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB User
Re: Cold turkey off pain meds - could use support

It's very tough and maybe you should have been under a doctor's supervision, not sure~

I personally was forced to stop taking oxycontin a little over 10 years ago. I went from 400mg a day to 10mg 3x a day for a few months and then tapered down to 10 and then nothing over a bit of time. That initial drop almost killed me! I was having constant diarrhea, pain, sweats, jittery (what I call the heeby geebies) and no sleep. I also had some trouble eating. Slowly I came back but it took a total of 6-8 months before I got "with it". Also, after the first couple months, my appetite came back with vengeance. I gained a bunch of weight which I eventually lost but it was very tough at first.

You're definitely attempted a real tough road ahead. I'm not too sure what to tell you but I really think a smart taper would have helped with some of the side effects. Also, there was a drug I was prescribed a drug to help with the heeby geebies (I think it was called something like Clonadine). It really helped!! Maybe you can get that to help you through the tough times. All I can say is, GOOD LUCK!

Closed Thread