It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
(female)

mombomb HB Usermombomb HB Usermombomb HB User
oxycodone dose? Is this a lot? Please read...

Hello,
Can anyone tell me, what is a 'median' dose of oxycodone IR? Is 20 mg considered a lot? What IS a high dose?
I was on 80mgs a day of norco and became tolerant. I started the oxy yesterday, 5mg pills, 1-3 at a time, 4 times a day. 3 pills (15mgs) doesnt cut it at all. I was getting better relief on the norco's.
I left a message awhile ago, and am waiting to hear back, if it's okay to take 20mgs at a time. Is that asking for a large dose?

thank you very much for any input.

Teri

Old 09-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User
Re: oxycodone dose? Is this a lot? Please read...

It's really depends on what your Dr. prescribes for you...Most of the time...if you need that much of a short term medication (IR..immediate release)...then a Dr. would move you to a long term (ER...Extended Release) one.

Because if you are taking 3 pills...4 times a day...that is 360 pills a month...This could cause a red flag for the DEA and your Dr. As the larger amounts per month aren't very common.

Also be careful that if they didn't prescribe 360 for the month that you don't run out before the 30 days..Sometimes Dr.s write for 'up to' a certain amount per day (as needed) but don't expect the patient to take the full amount every day..So just double check the amounts so that you are absolutely on the same page with what the Dr. is expecting..

There is a 15mg Roxicodone pill that you could take 4 times a day to equal the 60mg...still short acting if he has you stay on this...Or move you to Oxycontin...and take a 30mg in the am...and a 30mg in the pm...(Or a 20mg, every 8 hours)

That way you get the same 60mg of Oxycodone....a much steadier release of the medicine in your system...and not having to have so many pills each day..

It's kind of odd that you would get better relief with the Norco as Oxycodone is a 'stronger' med per say...but it's really about what works best for you. If the Norco worked better...then you could talk with your Dr. about switching back to that.

I'm not sure how long you have been on pain medication? And I assume you have chronic pain as opposed to acute pain? Again...with chronic pain...most Dr.s will want to move you to a long acting medication to better manage the pain...Short acting medicines peak about 45 minutes in...and only last for about 4 hours...So you are chasing the pain all day long...

So it's really difficult to say what is a lot or little as we all have different things that cause our pain..and have different plans with our Dr.s...

Since you just started this new regimen yesterday...it may be good to give it a week or two to really see if it's working well or not before you call the Dr...unless you have the type of relationship to give him a quick call to say that it's not working...But most Dr.s will want you to give it a fair try before upping the dosage again...

Also it's keeping in mind that the opiates we use are meant to be one small piece of the puzzle for our pain management...So using this in conjunction with the many other modalities that you can use as well..

Just my thoughts...obviously it's all about speaking with your Dr...and I hope that you can get it figured out to get decent pain control...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

Teri,
If your dose is 1-3 , 5 mg pills three times a day, then no, you can not take 20 mg unless and until you get the okay from your pain management doctor. Oxycodone is stronger than norco ( vicoden), and 15 mg doses are considered to be a strong dose of immediate release medication.
Most PM doctors want a patient to give a new medication a month before deciding that it is working or not since even with immediate release medications, it does take a little time to build up a blood plasma level.
I checked one of the opiate conversion calculators and you are at a higher dose of oxycodone than you were on the vicoden, so you should be getting better pain relief.
If you add tylenol or ibuprofen to your dose, may help to give you some extra pain relief. You should also try ice, or heat, alternating 15 minutes on, and 15 minutes off or a heating pad but do not leave it on or lay on it for longer than 20 minutes at a time may also help. There are over the counter heat patches that you can purchase in the pharmacies that may also help to ease some of the pain.
If you find that the oxycodone is not working well after a week, then call your doctor and ask him what you should do.
Back

Old 09-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
(female)

I wasnt clear in my post. Sorry. I did call and ask if I could take 20mgs. He hasnt returned my call yet.

He said he wanted to start me low, hence the 5mg pills, and he said I could take up to 15mgs. I see him again in 1 week to discuss how things are going and write a Rx for the proper amount.

If 15mgs IS a high dose, then this isnt working for me and I want to go back to the norco until I see him again and he can prescribe something else. I am not getting good relief at all. Is it possible to get better relief after a few days?

I dont want to take tylenol anymore. After years of vicodin and norco, I'm done with it. I'm afraid that I've taken too much and am quite sure I have an ulcer ( I will be talking to my PCP about that asap).

I just feel absolutely crappy; not just from pain, I feel sick and horrible. I dont think this is going to work.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
(male)

dave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB User

15mg of Oxy is really an average dose. 20mg won't hurt you, but I'd be careful not to exceed that. This is, of course, if your dr. okays the increase. What happens with narcotics after a while is that an increase is necessary, because your body gets used to the dose and becomes physically dependent on that dose. More is needed to combat the pain. It happens to all of us. I've been on the fentanyl patch for 6 years, and have morphine to handle the breakthrough pain. My last dose increase of the patch was a year ago. It's nothing to be ashamed of, and as I said, it happens to all of us who take narcs long term. Here's what I do - when I need a little extra kick, I'll take a tramadol or two, and see if that helps. If not, I'll hit the morphine - sparingly. Ask your dr. if he/she would consider writing a script for some tramadol to use along with the oxy. That could help from having to increase the narcotics. Keep us posted.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

Are you taking all three 5 mg tablets at once? Or are you staggering them, taking one, then another some time later and then the third dose?
If you were tolerant of vicoden or norco as it is sometimes called, then going back to that isn't going to be an answer.
The doctor can increase the oxycodone if he decides to, but again, don't increase it on your own. Wait for his call, and if he doesn't call you back on Tuesday, I would call the office again and ask for an appointment.
I understand not wanting to take more tylenol but what about ibuprofen or aleve instead? It may be that you need the anti inflammatory medication to help ease the pain, which isn't unusual. Taking one or two tablets along with your oxycodone a few times a day shouldn't be a problem. Tylenol can cause stomach upset and you do have to be very careful to watch your total intake of tylenol in all medications during any 24 hour period. For someone who takes tylenol daily, the total daily dose should be less than 3000 mg or 3 grains.
The total tylenol dose for the occassional user is 4000 mg (strongly suggested to use less though) or 4 grains.
I hope that you feel better soon.
Back

Old 09-03-2011, 11:47 PM   #7
(male)

dave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB Userdave490 HB User

That's more common than you might think. I know people that get little relief with the patch, but take oxy or morphine and do very well. It has a lot to do with how your body metabolizes the narcotic. I was surprised when I heard that too, but after researching it and talking to some physicians, I've come to believe that the potentcy of the drugs have less to do with efficacy than the person's metabolism.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:27 PM   #8
(female)

loney HB User

I just came off of 8 norco per day to 5 15mg oxycodone per day. The first few days I thought I was going to die. When I called the Dr he said he wanted me to try it for at least a week. I am glad he did, it is now working way better then the Norco was. I am also on a
Fentanyl 75 patch for the past 8 months at that dose. So give it a chance, it was worth the wait for me.

Good Luck

Old 09-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #9
(female)

Thanks for the replies everybody. A little update, it just wasnt working. My Dr saw me last Tuesday and after discussing it, he agreed it didnt sound like the right med for me. I asked, and he agreed, that I stay on the norco for another month or two before trying something else. I needed a break. It's hard work trying new meds!

Closed Thread