It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2011, 07:07 AM   #1
(female)

AbbieBean HB User
Angry My Story...

Hi, I am 54 yrs old and have a husband who has been a chronic pain sufferer since he was injured Nov 2000, at work, when 100 lb concrete truck pump hose was dropped from 18 ft above him and struck him on the head (wearing hardhat), drove him to his knees and almost unconscious. Two men above him had been instructed to take the hose down to under the bridge they were building, they decided it was easier to just toss it over the side w/o looking first. My hubby was under the bridge.
He was dx with DDD and the workman's comp people said it was preexisting. Which maybe it was, maybe it wasn't, but he had never experienced any back pain or problems prior to this accident. He couldn't walk or bend over without mind-numbing pain. He also started experiencing migraines frequently, something he had never experienced before the accident.

He was referred to pain management clinic. They operated under the assumption you were drug-seeking before they even started treating you. My husband experienced almost a year of frustration before they finally prescribed something strong enough to ease his pain a bit. They played "games" that whole year, prescribing motrin-strength meds that didn't touch his pain, and treating him like a drug seeker when he would ask for something stronger.

The experience left us anti pain management. I understand the physicians frustration at having to deal with drug seekers on top of everything else in their daily practice. I "get it" that they need to refer ALL of their narcotic patients to another group of doctors who will manage that patient. We found that the docs in the pain mgmnt clinic were a little power-hungry with their very important job of having control over people who are in chronic pain everyday. Whether they were drug seeking or just people in horrendous pain asking for help. Plus they always reminded my husband that they could pee test him at any time.

This pee test would tell them if he was taking the drugs they prescribed him (some people sell their pain meds) and if the level of the meds in his system was what it should be if he was taking the meds as prescribed. Also would detect presence of other prescription meds, and if he was smoking pot or not.

<removed, off subject>

I have fibromyalgia, balance problems (from the coma), peripheral neuropathy leaving my feet completely numb and legs below the knees numb, memory problems, arthritis, insomnia, daytime sleepiness, fatigue, ankle pain and instability when walking, and now I find out last month that the knee pain that has plagued me for over a year causing walking and standing to be extremely painful, is actually avascular necrosis in both knees. My knees have lost their blood supply in areas and those areas have started to become necrotic (dead). The "fix" for this is knee replacements, but once again the liver transplant
prevents me from having that done as they tell me a post op infection would kill me since I am immunocompromised, and am immunocompromised because I have to be so my body doesn't reject the liver.

And get this- the avascular necrosis was caused by the STEROIDS I was given pre-transplant, post-transplant, and a few times in the years following the transplant. WONDERFUL! Everyone please keep this in mind when docs want to prescribe steroids either in pill form or injections. A few of the times I received steroid injections I could have just said NO, as they were for pain relief in my feet and knees. Not "lifesaving".

Sorry to run on so long but pain management really hits a nerve for me.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-04-2011 at 06:03 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to AbbieBean:
dee088 (09-09-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Whoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB User
Re: My Story...

I'm really sorry to hear what both of you are going through. I too have been frustrated by PM docs before and what I've found is a bit of "catch 22" for this reason. My first inclination when I'm getting jerked around by a doctor is to basically "fire" them and leave. But if you do that enough times, you look like you're doctor shopping. When the fact is you are just looking for a doctor to treat you properly and with dignity. Those docs really are pieces of work, IMO. I do recognize they are trying to cover their butts in many instances but sometimes, there seems to be more going on.

I wish you both all the best in a most difficult and trying time~!

Old 09-09-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

dee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB User
Re: My Story...

That is rough for you two. These doctors are a treat aren't they. I was involved in a motorcycle in 86. Started tylenol 3 in 89.
then to lortab. Until 8 yrs ago where I have been on vic es. Want to go to lortab again and my doc say she'll refer me to the pain clinic. I am declining Because I already had the shot and T.E.N.S. Reason the was off my lortab is because my dr retired to Arizona. My new dr will only go up to a vic es. So we'll see how long before I give in. Take care everyone!!!

Closed Thread