It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
(female)

Grace817 HB User
sprained ankle and different pain meds please help!

HI everyone, I am fairly new here so please bear with me!

Three weeks ago I sprained my ankle. I was in intense pain and went to the local urgent care. The dr there did an xray and determined that it was sprained. Sent me home with an air cast, crutches, and 5/325 oxycodone. A few days later I went to a regular dr and he diagnosed me with a level (or grade) 3 sprain, told me to stay off of it and come back in 2 weeks. He prescribed me more of the 5/325 mg oxycodone and told me to take them as needed until the next appointment in 2 weeks (he gave me 60 of them). I am still in a ton of pain, I am icing, elevating, and doing everything he told me to. It seems that the percocet help with the pain but they give me a horrible headache.
I went back to him today and reported this and he switched me to 5/500 hydrocodone. I took one of them today and it didn't even touch the pain. I am afraid I already have a tolerance. I don't want to be on painkillers for a long time and have to go through withdrawals, how long does it take for a tolerance to develop? Could that be why the vicodin aren't working as well? Any help or advice is much appreciate thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2011, 01:58 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

dee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB User
Re: sprained ankle and different pain meds please help!

Grace, sorry about your ankle and welcome to the board. It seem oxy worked for you and now after that he puts you on hydro. Well, first some people respond well to one drug and not another. Both are minimum in my opinion. I think he switched you to hydro because he is more comfortable with that drug and since it is three weeks that you are healing. I would not worry yourself about tolerance or withdraws sine in my opinion you have only taken the drug for a short time. I been on hydro for years and was hospitalized many times for mental reasons, some hospitals gave them to me some didn't, I never went thru withdraws. But if your ankle is still bad tell him the oxys worked better for you. Hope you heal weel and quickly Keep us posted.

Last edited by dee088; 09-20-2011 at 01:59 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2011, 07:52 AM   #3
(female)

Grace817 HB User

Wow thank you, you just made me feel so much better! I am thinking to see how they work for a few days and if I'm still not getting any pain relief to call and ask him to switch me back. The oxycodone was giving me a dull headache but I've been doing some research online and it seems that sometimes happens because of all the acetaminophen that's in it. So then why would he put me on the hydrocodone that has 500 mg of acetaminophen when the oxycodone only has 325 mg of acetaminophen?

I am starting physical therapy next week so hopefully that will help with the pain as well.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Whoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB User

I've always heard hydro's are weaker than oxy's. I may be wrong but I always felt that way personally and I do agree with the previous poster, some folks respond to one better than the other. Good Luck!

Old 09-20-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
(female)

Grace817 HB User

Thanks for the responses, I wrote back earlier but I guess it didn't post.

I may just call my doctor and see if he can switch me back. I have read a few things online that state the acetaminophen could be causing the dull headache. If that's the case won't the headaches just get worse on the vicodin since they have 500mg of acetaminophen as opposed to the 325 in the percocet?

I was thinking of calling my doctor and seeing if I can bring all the pills that I filled into the office so he can see I'm not trying to just get more (if that makes sense). Is that a reasonable thing to suggest? Could they dispose of them properly?

I am starting PT next week so hopefully that will help and I won't need the pain medication much longer.

Again thank you for taking the time to read and respond, it means a lot.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

If you bring the prescriptions you have had filled back into the doctors office, they can not take them and dispose of them. Most states have laws in place that say that you can not transfer( give) narcotic meds to someone that they are not prescribed for, unless it is to the pharmacist so that they can dispose of them properly.
Vicoden is the lesser of the two pain meds in most people's opinions. Others say vicoden works better for them than oxycodone/apap....it really depends on your personal physiology.
I wouldn't keep calling to switch meds though....that might give an impression that you don't want to give the treating doctors. If you have the percocet still, when you see the doctor, explain then , that the vicoden didn't work well so you would prefer to take the percocet that he gave you before if needed for pain. He may agree.
Back

The Following User Says Thank You to backhurtz For This Useful Post:
Grace817 (09-22-2011)
Old 09-22-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
(female)

Grace817 HB User

Thanks so much for all the helpful responses. I have been icing and elevating my leg more religiously lately and that seems to be helping. I am sticking with the vicodin but only taking them when I really need to and using ibuprofen to help with the pain as well. I am starting my physical therapy next week so hopefully that will give me some relief as well. I am actually "liking" (if you can call it that) the vicodin better, sure they don't help with the pain as well but they also don't make me feel loopy and I can notice if something I'm doing is causing my ankle to hurt more (where before it was being completely masked). Hope that makes sense, and I appreciate all the thoughtful posts

Old 09-25-2011, 04:06 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

dee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB Userdee088 HB User

Grace187, I am happy to hear that you are doing better. There is a drug out there called vicoprofin which is vicodin and yes, ibuprofin. The story I heard is if you take a vicodin with ibuprofin, the vicodin will stay in your body longer. I tried taking the two and it made no difference. But my system is weird on alot of these drugs I take. Take care of that ankle and get well soon!

The Following User Says Thank You to dee088 For This Useful Post:
Grace817 (09-25-2011)
Closed Thread