It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2011, 07:47 AM   #1
(male)

kid44 HB User
Healthy life switch turned off!

I am a 50 year old male who was very athletic and hardworking from a young age. I could not sit down and relax and was strong as a bull.
I had a fencing business for many years which created major wrist problems. What happened was the cartilage between scaphoid bone and radius disappeared and had partial fusions in the early 90's to stop the pain. This worked for nearly 15 years and now the joint is full of arthritis and very painful.

3 years ago I slipped on stairs and continued to walk on a sore ankle for a year after a doctor had looked at it and said I broke it but it was lined up and healed 40%. Was not getting better so I found a very nice foot and ankle surgeon who helped me with out personal insurance. He said my ankle was indeed broke, never lined up, and had fused itself almost 30 degrees in an improper location. The result was a full fusion and took a year to heal. Once walking i started to develop hip pain and now is almost unbearable. I will be seeing a doc for that in the near future.
My issues with pain control are these. I take diclofenac 100 twice daily and was on perk 10's recently with little help. My doc upgraded me to 30 oxycodone which helped immensely.
After 2 months I had to take 3-30oxy every 4 hours in order to work and get through the day. In essence that is 9 and then sometimes in the evening I will be in pain and take 2 or 3 in order to be more comfortable. This works but I am not confident that living a life taking this much pain med is good for my overall health. Obviously I have a very high pain tolerance(walking on a broken ankle for a year) and needing so much oxy to have pain relief.
My wrists are beyond help and the only thing is total fusions. I would still want to enjoy golf, tennis and some activities in my older years which want me to delay the full fusions.
The hip is probably getting arthritic, as I suffer pains in other joints, but will get an orthotic to increase leg length. I had never had hip issues before the ankle fusions so I assume I have arthritis in most of my joints.

Anyone know of a different and helpful way to deal with my pain issues? I am basically bed ridden without help and have 2 sport nut boys who I spend a lot of time with doing activities (used to) so being active is everything to me.
Can I stay on the current med program without suffering organ or other damage?

Thank you for reading and any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
(female)

horse187 HB User
Re: Healthy life switch turned off!

Sadly, We feel your pain. Too many of us do not have access to adequate pain management. Congrats on finding a Dr that will reduce your suffering. Contrary to current hype, opioid medication such as yours is non-toxic at any dose. It does not harm body tissues or organs, as long as it is begun and raised at a rate that doesn't cause you side effects (like slow breathing) and you take it as the Dr. orders. The first medicine ever discovered was of this class. Taken as directed, opioids remain one of the safest medicines available & continue to remain effective over a lifetime, as long as they are adjusted to meet your pain level. Good lick to you & yours, as pain deeply effects our families as well. PS I was very active as well, & miss working with the horses. -horse187

Last edited by horse187; 03-03-2012 at 10:22 AM. Reason: typos & I misread without my glasses

Closed Thread