It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #1
(female)

momatomic HB User
Red face Scared! New doctor arbitrarily cutting my chronic pain meds in half!

Hi, fellow pain sufferers. This is my first post, and I need your feedback and experiences badly, and soon! I can't believe this is happening. I've been trying to resolve a fatigue issue and ended up with a doctor creating another crisis on top of it!

I've had a battle with severe chronic pain since 1996 and lifelong bouts of fatigue. It took six years, an acute pain crisis while out of state and in unfamiliar surroundings, and immeasurable suffering to get through the humiliating process of obtaining a correct diagnosis for the cause of my pain. Sound familiar?
I take 30mg of MS Contin twice daily and 15 mg MS Contin for breakthrough pain. I have been taking pain meds for about 10 years, starting with much lower doses of oxycodone. Eventually it just didn't last as long as it was supposed to. My ARNP, whom I've been with throughout, put me on the same equivalent of MS Contin. It was the best pain relief I'd had to date, but it also made me so overwhelmingly drowsy that I couldn't function. I asked to try Oxycontin. That lasted about 6 months before it, too, didn't give pain relief through the dose. I think it is too easy to build up tolerance to Oxycodone products. I asked to try the MS Contin again. This time, I didn't get the drowsy reaction. I have been on it for two and a half years and it continues to relieve my pain.
Now comes the bad part. I had hit a dead end with my ARNP about my low back and foot pain. It didn't appear that the two bulging discs were causing my pain, and though I was diagnosed with SI joint dysfunction, it was overlooked as the cause and has been untreated. I had also developed metatarsalgia in both feet. These were causing chronic sleep loss as they hurt the worst when I was trying to sleep. This, I feel, caused adrenal dysfunction and exhaustion became my daily misery. I also have thyroid resistance for which only Cytomel has worked.

The clinic decided that I should be placed in the care of an MD, who may be more able to help me. So, I go for my first visit and barely got one word in, when he announces up front, that he will immediately cut my pain medicine
and my thyroid dose in half. I nearly fell on the floor. This is such an arbitrary decision! And, it in no uncertain terms violates my rights as a patient.
I asked to change doctors, and they said that all the doctors in the clinic would do the same thing.

I agreed to be re-evaluated at a pain clinic. "Nevermind", says he, "I will still cut your doses in half until you have been there." The endocrinologist's report came in (I asked for it to be sent to me as well) and he should be leaving my thyroid dose alone, but I'm not sure.
It could take two months before I can get the referral and visit to a pain clinic. In the meantime I am scared half to death of the horrible pain I know I will face. Without adequate thyroid, my muscles and tendons seize up. It's like living in a state of semi-rigor mortis.
Has anyone been through this kind of situation before on at least the pain med issue?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
(female)

NOTSONUTSO HB UserNOTSONUTSO HB User
Re: Scared! New doctor arbitrarily cutting my chronic pain meds in half!

Hello & welcome to Healthboards. I am sorry you did not get any response so far. There are many helpful, caring people who post regularly. I am bumping your post, maybe that will help. I can definitely relate to what you are going through. Good luck.

The following user gives a hug of support to NOTSONUTSO:
Lindidit12 (10-20-2011)
Old 10-19-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
(female)

NOTSONUTSO HB UserNOTSONUTSO HB User
Oops, I see you're not exactly "new." But hello anyway. I am interested in how you are doing.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
(female)

isistori HB User

I have had to see many docs before I found one who took me and the pain seriously. This doc also is the only one I've found who doesn't undertreat my pain. Good luck finding someone in your area covered by your insurance plan.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

Unfortunately, no doctor is obligated to continue any medication that is prescribed by another doctor. That includes primary care doctors and pain management doctors as well. Most prefer to start out fresh and then make adjustments in medications or discontinue meds based on their own findings.
If you need a referral, it shouldn't take two months to get one, just ask for one from this new doctor and in the meantime start calling around and find one that you want to make an appointment with. You can then call the primary back and let them know that you have made an appointment with the new PM doctor for XYZ date and you need the referral....
Do you have MRI's and CT scans, as well as other labl work for your other medical conditions? Records from the previous doctor? All of those might help convince this doctor about your medical conditions and the prescribing doses , and the need for those to continue.
I would also contact your insurance company for a list of pain management doctors in your area and plan and start making those calls.
I'm sorry that you are going through this. Oh, they can prescribe muscle relaxers if necessary for the muscle cramps and spasms. They work well for that problem. Good luck,
Back

Old 01-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
(female)

bubbli3 HB User

@momatomic
I am so understanding what u r going through im having to find a new doctor after 6 years an i fear the same thing happing to me also. How has it gone so far. I see your post was awhile ago.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:08 PM   #7
(male)

r2d21 HB User

I have never hired an attorney in my life, but the first thought is to bring legal notice to both your former doctor and clinic and your new doctor and clinic and your pharmacist to not make threats or change your medication. You could instead check with your pharmacist and explain the situation. They can help you find a normal doctor. You can instead check with your clinic and explain that you do not want your medications cut in half. You can also just go to another clinic. That is not doctor shopping, that is shopping for a sane doctor.

Closed Thread