It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
(female)

MarjDare HB User
Oxy vs Long Acting Morphine for mental clarity?

Hello - I am one of those people that got along fine on Darvocet for 10+ years. I know others that say it is like extra-extra strength Tylenol, but for me it worked controlling my back pain so I could be active and productive and not 'high'. Since they stopped production of the Darvocet I went on Vicodin which I knew and confirmed does not do anything for me. It made my head fuzzy without really knowing it which is kind of frightening - but nothing for pain.

So I have been on Percocet for the past 5 or 6 months. I worry about the addictive parts but not as much now as I did when I first started taking it. I am not abusing it and usually have some left over at the end of the month. I do feel the effects of it mentally and I believe my work is showing it. I am missing little details that are important for me to catch in my job!

So, my doc has suggested trying the long acting morphine - she explained how it has a steady release and all that... but I need to know if it will control my pain and let me be a little more clear minded. I know everyone is a little different, but does anyone with experience switching between the two have an example of how they felt to share with me?

I can't work in pain, but I can't work fuzzy either...

Any advice/info is greatly appreciated!

Old 11-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: Oxy vs Long Acting Morphine for mental clarity?

I know what you mean! Little mistakes drive me crazy...

I take LA Morphine and have for the past three(?) years. YOu might find that you are a little groggy for the first couple of weeks, but that soon wears off, or you get adjusted....whatever! I find that it works extremely well for me for about 7 months out of the year. Then when weather like this damp fall cold hits, I need Percoset for breakthrough pain. I take the morphine twice a day with the option to take it three times a day if I am really in trouble. I have found that I rarely need that mid day one.

I have switched from the percoset with Tylenol to the the straight percoset. I take 1 or 2 15 mg. for breakthrough pain. Because it doesn't contain tylenol, it is better for the liver. I don't have any woozy issues with it. I don't know if that is because of the length of time I have been on it, or perhaps I am just to bull headed!

I have found that the one-morphine does a good job with using the striaght percs as chasers. It keeps the majority of pain at bay...and my surgeon told me that I will live in some degree of pain the rest of my life. I would just like that degree to be as small as possible!

Hope this helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to ibake&pray For This Useful Post:
MarjDare (11-04-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
(female)

musiccitygirl HB Usermusiccitygirl HB Usermusiccitygirl HB User

Hey Ladies,
It is so good to hear from women who I have the work thing in common with. I think it is especially challanging to work and suffer from chronic pain and all of the perceptions/side effects, etc. that go along with taking medication to get you through the day. I have learned first handed not to tell a soul that I take meds as you quickly may get a bad reputation. But, I will tell you what is especially rewarding for me is that I am a counselor for disabled veterans and when I have a CP'er in my office we talk about how hard it is to not be understood and even though they are my clients it is a relief for them and me to understand one another. Because I always say, no matter who you are, if you have not experienced chronic pain, you can't possibly judge or understand what I am going through.
Anyway, sorry for the tangent. I am on the oxy/roxi combination and it works pretty well but, I have built a tolerance which is inevitable and I just had the conversation with my doctor about switching up but, it does scare me a bit. I am pretty clear on the oxy/roxi combo as I have taken it for so long. I had a two level lumbar fusion early this year and my back is not any better as a result. I am actually about 10% worse at this point. As a counselor, I sit all day but, I do walk at lunch and I have an ergonomic chair and a sit/stand desk. My employer has taken very good care of me. In addition to the full time job, I have three boys, 9, 11, and 42 (hahaha). It is imperative that I have some medication to help me survive my day. I have thought of the morphine/roxi combo. Bake and Spray, what is the long acting form of morphine that you take?
Nice chatting with you both. Keep in touch. Heather

Old 11-04-2011, 02:54 PM   #4
(female)

MarjDare HB User

excuse my newbieness but what is Roxi? a LA Morphine brand name?

Ditto on the don't tell people you work with - it is rare I feel close enough to someone at work to share that kind of thing ever!

MusicCityGirl - do you notice attention to detail mistakes? My employer is great too - and will do whatever I need, but i am more worried about what I am doing!

I was just talking to my spouse about how everything is documented if they decided I made too many mistakes to do my job and fired me... Colorado is a right to hire/firs state - they don't need any reason. I would probably qualify for disability then - but I have 25 more years to work and sock money into retirement etc. I don't want to end up barely able to get by while still in my 40's! I need a solution that works for the pain and my brain!

Closed Thread