It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2011, 03:05 AM   #1
(female)

amberdylz HB User
medication suggestions for dr please

hi i suffer from chronic back pain and foot drop which results in chronic pain in my hips and legs, ive been on oxicontin 10mg 2x a day and tramadol 300mg 2-3x a day + ibruprofen paracetomol amytripiline and pregabalin for nearly a year. ive been asking for my drs to switch up my medication for a bout 6 months as this conconction isnt working but they tell me there is nothing else for me to try, ive also been on fentanyl patches before. has anyone tried anything or is on anything they can suggest to me? i cant beleive that with everything they can do in the medical world there are no other pain killers available? i get that im 23 and they dont want me to run out of things for when im older but i need pain releif now!!! i dont get how they dont understand this? any suggestions you have would be soo appreaciated. ive also tried acupunture, electro acupunture , tens unit, and spinal blocks and injections all of which didnt really do much i will say the tens unit worked best but you can rally walk around with it attach all day and the sticky pads dont stick very well, look forward to replies, im waiting for a phone consultation with a dr at some point today so asap would be great.
thanks
amber x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2011, 07:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User
Re: medication suggestions for dr please

Amberlyz,
There are many other options as far as pain management goes, that don't necessarily include narcotics and those that do. Ice and heat go a long way in offering some temporary relief, and many of the old tricyclic anti depressants work wonder for nerve pain. Lyrica is only one of the ones available, neurontin is another, topamax, and several others may all be options for relieving that type of pain.
Methadone might be considered an option , given that it works both on the mechanical pain and the neuropathic pain as well.
Tramadol is only supposed to be taken at doses that don't exceed 400 mg a day, so you really need to be careful with that medication. And you also need to be very careful with taking it and SSRI type of anti depressants. It can cause a major complication called serotonin syndrome which can be lethal if not treated properly.
Opiates can not be called in , they must be hand carried into the pharmacies, and given that today was a holiday, the doctor on call may not be able to offer you much other than to tell you to call and come in tomorrow.
Anti inflammatories, voltaren gel and others may all help to relieve some of the pain and work with other treatment options to help bring the pain levels down to manageable.
Good luck,
Back

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Whoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB User
Re: medication suggestions for dr please

I have to say that if you're in as much pain as you're saying, that dose level of Oxy is like trying to take down an elephant with a fly-swatter. More than likely, you need an increase in your current meds as opposed to a switch, although a switch is certainly a possibility. Honestly, 3-4 Percocets a day would probably give you as much or more pain relief than you're currently getting. However, I don't know your doctor and some are very narcotic paranoid. Hopefully, this isn't the case and you can just get a reasonable increase. Good Luck!

Closed Thread