It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
possible lyrica side effects?

Hello everyone. I know it's been awhile since I was on the boards but I am back now. I was off Lyrica for about a year and recently started taking it again. I started having worsening of depression, including suicidal thoughts. Also my feet looked more swollen and my pain was actually increasing instead of decreasing (possible hyperalgesia). I was having a very difficult time coping with the pain and even getting off the couch. I was also having muscle pain in my right leg, thigh, and knee. I also experienced tiredness, difficulty concentrating, remembering, and thinking. I determined that things got worse since I started (at 150mg) and increasing it (300mg).

My doctor decided to taper me down and go off to see what happens. I am down to 150mg and plan on going without any tonight. My depression has lifted considerably and my perception of the pain is much better. It's crazy that a medication for nerve pain would actually make it worse (or at least perceived worse).

Has anyone else had these side effects while being on Lyrica? Also do you think I will go through very bad withdrawal going from 150mg/day to none?

brian

Old 11-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
(female)

daisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB Userdaisymaegrl HB User
Re: possible lyrica side effects?

Hi brainpain!!
Welcome back!! It has been SOOOO long since you have posted!
You always were an invaluable wealth of information and I am happy that you are posting again.
But I am so sorry that you went thru this experience with Lyrica. I have been on almost every anticonvulsant and seizure med trying to lessen the relentless burning, electrical shock, on- fire nerve pain in my feet.
Lyrica was so expensive and it cost me a job. Honestly it made me so stupid that I was a danger to myself and others. I finally finished with it after the price went to $300 a month and I couldn't afford it. I went off cold turkey which is a dreadful no-no. But I really had no problem stopping it. However I did not lose the over thirty pounds I gained on it!!
The one I had a terrible withdrawal experience with was Cymbalta. It made me want to just die. I was so depressed and that was never my problem before. But stopping it left me weak, unable to rest, unable to eat, unable to read. It was pure hell for 3 months. The brain zaps were so scary.
I experience such strange reactions to Neurontin, nortritylline, and Tramadol that I am convinced that drugs like that are definitely not for me.
I won't take anymore seizure meds ever again. I would rather live with the pain.
I have rheumatoid arthritis and small fiber neuropathy that is auto immune. I did try morphine for pain but had a very strange personality change on it. I am a pretty laid back person but found that morphine wound me up inside and made me very angry for no reason.
So my doctor switched me to Dilaudid. I can only take the SA as the LA won't let me sleep.
My feet swell terribly too but I don't attribute it to the Lyrica since I had it before I started Lyrica and I have it to this day if I have been on my feet too much or conversely, not enough.
I hope tonight goes well and you can stop the Lyrica. It just effects everyone so differently. I know there are others that say it has saved their lives. It just wasn't for us I guess.
I am happy to see that you are back posting but sad that you are posting because you are in pain!
I hope it goes well and you will feel better soon.
Take care of yourself
Daisy

The Following User Says Thank You to daisymaegrl For This Useful Post:
NOTSONUTSO (12-07-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread