It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2011, 05:27 AM   #1
(male)

Bigphil HB UserBigphil HB UserBigphil HB UserBigphil HB UserBigphil HB User
Filling out of state schedule 2 RX?

Hello.. I have been seeing a PM doc for sometime now, since my TLIF fusion hasn't helped I now am scheduled for a SI joint fusion next year. I only take Percocet 10/325 q 6hrs.. I am suppose to fly to Fort Campbell, KY to see my brother who is FINALLY home from Iraq on 12-24 and spend through New years. My rx is due to be filled 12-27. I seen the PM doc in late Nov and explained I was leaving for Xmas and would need the rx on 12-23 to be filled on 12-24. He said no problem since it was a holiday weekend. Well I call yesterday to ask to have it ready on 12-23 for pick up since they ask for 3 day window prior to being picked up. When I called the nurse said my PM doc was on vacation through next week. I explained what we had discussed and she said she would ask one of the other Dr's and see what he says. I haven't heard back yet. I am sure I am not the only person in a practice of 1000's of patients this has happened too, or happening to now with Xmas. I don't know if he put it in his notes or not.. Kinda doubt it. I know usually if my fill is due on a weekend or other holidays the RX has a do not fill til date. I am just really concerned if is written for do not fill til 12-27 I will be in KY. I did call a few stores up there and was told that they normally don't fill out of state class 2 meds. 1 reason being all the RX coming from other states by the drug pushers and I had no valid KY address.. I was told I may try but may be unsuccessful b/c it's at the pharmacists disgression and most won't and the stores leave that up to them. So any ideas, suggestions, similar situations will be appreciated.. I wanna go, hadn't seen him in 2.5 yrs and hate for this to screw up anything..

The following user gives a hug of support to Bigphil:
tiggertoo2174 (12-23-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2011, 07:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User
Re: Filling out of state schedule 2 RX?

It sounds like you did everything you could to get this all done in time and gave them plenty of notice...

*Where do you normally fill your prescriptions when in town? At what pharmacy?

I would actually call a Walmart or Target (ask for the HEAD pharmacist, tell them you are visiting there for the holidays) and ask them as I have filled my prescriptions out of state before and I am on 3 Schedule Two type medications...I filled them at a Walmart and had no problem.

You are bringing in a signed, hard copy of the prescription and many places will ask to see your ID as they just make sure the prescription matches your name....not caring about address...

If you contact both Walmarts and Targets and still get an answer saying no...Then you need to just speak with the DR. on call at your regular Dr.s office and let them know...Give them the phone numbers that you contacted as well as the Pharmacists name...

If it's not possible to fill out of state in KY...then ask the Dr. if they can just write for the next week and a half to fill before you go out of town and then you can pick up a new prescription for the remaining amount from your regular Dr. when you 'both' get back in town after the holidays...

Keep us posted...

Old 12-23-2011, 04:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

I'm so sorry you are left stressing about this, I know it puts a HUGE damper on your holiday plans.

I don't know how it goes in KY, but from what I understand, they are pretty strict. I can tell you that I had this same situation with a refill during a time I would be out of town.

I was able to fill my meds in the state I was visiting, however when I did that, it voided/took away the remaining refill I would have had left. In other words, I get a scrip for my meds and each one has 2 refills. When I was visiting family in another state, I had my 2 refills left. I got my refill which should have left me with 1 more refill, but the pharmacist told me that when you "transfer" a scrip, the insurance & state laws will only allow for 1 transfer, so when I got back to my hometown, my doctor would have to write a new scrip for the last month's worth of meds. He was very nice to me, and told me that many pharmacists will not fill meds from another state, but he checked my records and saw I had been on these meds for several years and had no red-flags and didn't have a history of early refills, so he felt I was trustworthy. I got lucky because he could have refused to fill my meds which would have left me going for about 5 days without meds. I would have had to cut my trip short & head home simply to avoid the pain & withdraws.

When I got back in town, my doctor confirmed what the pharmacist had told me & he wrote me a scrip for the last month's meds.

I certainly hope you are able to get this straightened out so you don't have to suffer pain & withdrawal during your trip. I would certainly ask if your doctor had noted what you discussed in your records. If he did, there shouldn't be a problem, but I also know doctors discuss lots of things with their patients that they don't put in their file.

Please keep us updated, and know we are here for you.

Happy Holidays!

Old 12-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Just as a side note, are you not prescribed any long acting medication? I take MS Contin for continual pain management and Percocet for break through pain. As such I usually don't totally run out of the Percocet before the next fill and have buffer of a supply. (I also take Soma and Neurontin)

Closed Thread