It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User
anyone taking the NEW generic Kadian?

So I had a previous post about my insurance not covering Kadian anymore because there was a generic equiv and I thought they meant the generic MS contin ER. However, Watson has a new actual generic of Kadian which is supposed to have the same "sustained release" mechanism (rather than "extended release" which was bogus in my opinion), which makes me feel tons better about having to take the generic. My main beef with the generic MS Contin is that it lasted way less then half the time they stated (about 4 hours), whereas the Kadian did have a true 12 hour mechanism. Anyone try this yet and can testify whether or not it worked as well as the brand Kadian? It has been out since Nov 10, 2011. I got a brand filled just a couple days ago so I have a month to work out whether I should do the generic or try a diff long acting.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: anyone taking the NEW generic Kadian?

hi toonces. while i have not taken the med you mentioned, i have had to take ALOT of various "watson' brand meds over the years(thay also make alot of generic hydro based products too). and from the manufacturer aspect, they are usually pretty good as far as containing at least what appears to be 'most' of the active ingredient compared to 'some" others who simply have to be only putting in what has to be very close to that minimum 'allowed' for any given generic and can still be called "equivalent' at only around 85% OF any given active ingedient compared to brand. so they are a pretty good company anyways. when it comes to most of what we have to take as pain meds, you most certainly can tell what ones at least 'feel like' they are actually hitting our pain, and what ones do not appear to even touch it.

i had THAT issue with the "endo' version of oxycontin that i NEVER ever felt kick in on my neck pain, which is almost always where i 'felt it' first(NOT my head, but in my neck), once it had actually released with the brand version. it can also matter alot to as far as how many actual pills you take of any generic per dose too if its at all deficient? i WAS taking my regular doses in all 20s with 9 per day, three at a time, so it most certainly DID make a much bigger impact per 'loss' per pill too. after THAT lil experience, i was most certainly paying for that brand name co pay again with the 'real' OC with my next fill. soo much difference in basic relief.

hopefully this will work as well for you or come as close as possible. this particular generic comp has a good track record anyways from my experience. does kadian actually last a full 12 hours(if so, that IS good to know)? i know NO oxycontin, even the brand EVER has. and this 'new' version just stops dead on me at like only 7 hours where the other lasted about 8 with a more "gradual' decline? i do hope the new kadian works for you toonces.

just wanted to throw that in here for ya. good luck with this. marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

Hi Marcia. To your question about Kadian lasting 12 hours. In my experience, I would say it definitely does. It last longer than 12, but I take it every 12 and I keep pretty steady pain control, beside the normal flare-ups with doing pain-inducing things. I do not quite get 24 hours like some claim to. When I was taking my entire daily dose once per day vs. half the dose 2x per day, I did not have as much coverage. Once my doc split it up to be taken half every 12 hours, it worked way better. I do not really have many ups and downs other than mentioned above. I was willing to pay the brand co-pay too, but now my insurance company won't let us do that anymore if there is a "generic equivalent." I'll try this new generic and let everyone know what happens. But, in general I really think Kadian is a truly long-acting med that does give at least 12 hours of steady release. I'm very attached to it.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
(male)

Spincast HB User

I have been tsking Kadian in one dose or another for seven years now. For the past year I have been stable on kadian 120mg 2x day and MSIR 15mg 5x day. Last month I received half my prescription of kadian in generic form. They do not work half as well as the name brand. I have since had my doctor prescribe name brand only on my prescription and then insurance cannot refuse. And I will stay on the name brand. It works for me. I have been on doses from 50mg 2x day up to 200mg 2x day and I have finally found a level where pain is managed and I can be productive as well. Do not get the generic though. Big difference.....

Old 06-15-2012, 07:51 AM   #5
(male)

NeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB User

A lil late on this for ya i bet, but for anyone else wondering. I never took the name brand Kadian just the generic Watson, it worked better for me than Oxycontin sooo. It does work I just don't know compared to name brand, people were talking how during the switch they would get generic but they still said Kadian on them. I had to research this and is kinda messed up.
Dec 30, 2008 – Actavis acquired the brand name drug Kadian® from King Pharmaceuticals, now Watson has acquired Actavis soooo are they using the Watson formula, because maybe it's cheaper to make, or are they selling the same thing Actavis name brand just it's generic watson capsules, now kinda gotta wonder to have different batches going, out sourcing or using the same original formula Actavis HMMMM would be nice to know. May never actually find out I suppose.

Closed Thread