It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012, 09:01 AM   #1
(female)

Caeryn23 HB User
Pain treatments questions

I have hip/back pain, Trochanteric bursitis, and neuropathy. My pain doctor prescribed Lidoderm Patches and Diclofenac. Do those meds work well for these conditions? I just started using them, so I can't really tell yet.

He also wanted me to try physical therapy. Does that work well for bursitis? Or, would it depend on the person?

Thank you.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User
Re: Pain treatments questions

I had an injection of cortisone and lidocaine, which helped the bursitis tremendously. The other condition you mentioned I am not familiar with......but I assume that between the physical therapy, and the meds you mentioned that you will see some relief in pain over a few days to weeks......give it a try.
Back

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
(female)

aleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB Useraleet7 HB User

Doctors usually have a method of pain relief for such illnesses as ours. My first step was to try physcial therapy and the Lidoderm pain patch. I have to admit that the patch did work for me. Unfortunately I gave up on the physical therapy because I lost focus which is that it gets worse somtimes before it gets better! You have to try the therapy and stick with it to see if you get positive results. I am returning back to physical therapy for DDD and arthritis in my hip and shoulders. Give it a try and remember to keep with it to see if you get good results!

Take Care!

Old 01-04-2012, 07:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hi Caeryn, Even given the exact same diagnosis, what works for one person doesn't always work for another. In pain management they also use what's called step therapy. Their are teps every doc takes ruling out one modality or medication after another untill they find what works for you. If your stiff and soar, PT and anyio inflamatories are generally step one even at PM doc who use potent long acting opiates. The docs or clinics need to show they tried these other steps before proceeding down the steps and possibly to narcotic pain medication. If NSAIDs and PT work, it doesn't make sense to whip out the big guns and throw you on long acting morphine or fentanyl patches. So yes those moalities work and are enough for some people or you may find you benefit from one or the other ansd still need to add something to your treatment plan.Perhaps cortozone injections as mentiuoned by anoher, perhaps a medecine to manage pain, They generaly start with things like tramadol or Ultram, and move down the list.

Everyones treatment plan is a bit different but they ,ay also include something to address specific factors in every patient like, inflamation, adressing range of motion, personal activity, pain evels,sleep, etc etc. With any painful condition although activity may be the last thing on your mind, keeping moving is essentuial to continue to keep moving. Health wise in general there isn't anything much worse than being sedentary so even if the PT just gets you up and out of the house and maintains a cetain level of activity, it will likely be something you continue on your own at home or at a gym once the PT finds you have reached max benefit from what he is is offering. Then your released on your own to continue a plan specific for your condition
Good luck, Dave

Old 01-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
(female)

Caeryn23 HB User

Thank you for the responses.

backhurtz, did you mean you weren't familiar with neuropathy? Neuropathy is nerve damage. My symptoms include pain, numbness, tingling, and burning.

I'm not sure if I want narcotics, unless I can take it as needed. I'm on oxycodone because I had ankle surgery. It is not helping my hip pain or bursitis. I try not take a lot of Diclofenac because of GI upset. My pain doctor did not really mention injections. I see him next month.

I will try the physical therapy. I had it for back and shoulder pain before, which kind of helped. I hope it helps the hip and bursitis.

Closed Thread