It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
(male)

jerems76 HB User
Gabapentin/Neurontin for Oxycodone withdrawal

I have a script of Neurontin that was prescribed for my sciatica that I don't take because it makes me pass out and gives me serious cognitive impairment, which I can't have because I'm writing my PhD dissertation.

I've recently had a successful epidural steroid injection and have immediately begun to taper and will jump off on Feb. 7. I'm wondering if any of you have any experience with Neurontin helping in the withdrawal process particularly with the troublesome symptom of RLS. Thanks in advance!

Old 01-30-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Gabapentin/Neurontin for Oxycodone withdrawal

quite honestly, neurontin really is not something i would just try taking for this type of situation. it does also impact you pretty hard from what you just stated too. considering its mode of actions, i doubt that it would really work for what your problem is either. this is what is referred to as the 'kicks' in the WD part of this having to take narcotics longer term. but it DOES eventually go away. it kind of depends upon how long you were taking narcotics and how much per day.

it IS the overall responsibility of the actual doc who was previously Rxing your narcotics to actually help you out here with what simply does come along for the ride when you are also coming OFF the meds too. if your doc could even temporartiliy Rx you some form of actual muscle relaxer to just take at night when they are the worst, that just 'may' help with 'this' part, which is usually the worst. there just are certain types of meds your doc 'could' be temp rxing to help.

one thing that i do for what is some pretty intense spasticity in my leg from spinal cord injury, is using something called epsom salts? this is only granulated magnesium, which is kind of natures lil muscle relaxer. taking a hot soak(not too overly hot tho, just comfortable) in a tub with about a cup of this in it right before i go to bed really DOES help allow me to sleep better. it really does calm that leg down much more using this than if for some reason i can't. the mag gets absorbed directly into all of your muscles this way, so it can really help alot, and give you NO side effects either, except for maybe some looser stools for a bit, but nothing major(mag also has some laxative properties). just one suggestion that i KNOW can help me, and my spasticity and sympathetic tone is way off the charts.

just another lil thing here, for some reason, actually 'icing' my knee really helps at times too, if you want to give that a try on BOTH of yours? or trying heat could help too. we all react a bit differently to heat and cold application depending upon our make up and what we are trying to 'treat". but heat and ice are great for certain types of pain and other issues we can also just have. you just keep trying things til you can find what works, kind of like with treating pain. you are just having alot of 'motor firings" down thru your legs right now and anything that can help to calm that may help.

but i would seriously just make an appt with your doc, or make a call and see if he or she can't help with this part of things. i mean they KNOW what comes with WDing off of narcotics. and since they also LOVE it when any of their patients are not going ONTO narcotics but actually coming off of, they are usually more than willing to help you out here. but it IS their responsibility to 'help you'.

just one thing about ESIs incase they have not told you is they can tend to wear off depending upon just exactly what was the main pain generator to begin with. but with some, they can last a very long time before they just might have to be repeated at some point too. but your response really sounds fantastic overall. but just give the doc a call and tell them any and all actual symptoms you are having(there just can be alot of different types of WD symptoms from the kicks to very very loose stools, among others as i am sure you are aware), and they should be able to help with them, esp the main one of the RLS crap. now that stuff does just suck. hopefully you will get thru this phase quickly and they will at least call you in some help.

but DO try the epsom if you can. you can buy a bag or box at any drug store. this seriously can help, it just all kind of depends upon the persons individual reaction, just as with meds. i wish you good luck with everything and soo happy that anyone is writing about actually having their pain reduced enough to be able to actually go OFF the narcotics. just get the appropriate help that you just deserve and stay away from that neurontin. that can cause you many MORE problems if you should take it than you are having now, trust me. please let me know how things are going,K? marcia

The Following User Says Thank You to feelbad For This Useful Post:
jerems76 (01-30-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
(female)

Lynette57 HB UserLynette57 HB User

I tried neurontin for pain at night to take a break from narcotics. It worked so well for that nagging nerve pain in my legs. They felt 20 again.
But for me they caused personality problems.

If I have to withdraw I will use them to deal with the leg pain.

But I agree the doc who gave you the meds should be part of the process.

I had 2 steroid injections. Helped for a few months. The pain came back.

Just my experience. Enjoy your pain free life. Any day that is without pain is wonderful. And here's hoping the injections give you long lasting relief.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lynette57 For This Useful Post:
jerems76 (01-30-2012)
Old 01-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
(male)

jerems76 HB User

Thanks to feelbad and Lynette57.

I have a follow up appointment for my ESI on 2/2/12, so I will be able to talk to the doc, or at least his P.A. then. I plan on asking for a script of clonadine (for blood pressure which is already on the line and will no doubt shoot up really high during detox) and a very small script of valium to get through the worst of the withdrawals (the Thomas recipe calls for a benzo, preferably Valium of K-pins). I have a few Xanax laying around that I use for academic presentations, but I'd rather have something longer acting. This doctor is the same one that prescribed the Neurontin for my sciatica as well, so I'll ask him about that, too.

Thanks again, to both of you!

Old 01-30-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
(male)

jerems76 HB User

Thanks to feelbad and Lynette57.

I have a follow up appointment for my ESI on 2/2/12, so I will be able to talk to the doc, or at least his P.A. then. I plan on asking for a script of clonadine (for blood pressure which is already on the line and will no doubt shoot up really high during detox) and a very small script of valium to get through the worst of the withdrawals (the Thomas recipe calls for a benzo, preferably Valium of K-pins). I have a few Xanax laying around that I use for academic presentations, but I'd rather have something longer acting. This doctor is the same one that prescribed the Neurontin for my sciatica as well, so I'll ask him about that, too.

Thanks again, to both of you!

Old 01-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Whoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB User

I have a close friend who did a 16-month stint in a Federal Medical (prison) Facility back ten years or so ago. He had been on a pretty high dose of Oxycontin and when he got there, they took all his meds (he said what he brought with him probably had a street value of over $5,000 and suspected the doc took them). He said they gave him a 10mg oxy pill three times a day for a month or so and then started tapering him down to zero. They put him on a pretty high dose of Neurontin for his pain. He said it was a sad substitute but after all the withdrawal pains, he was grateful they were doing anything. But that seems to be the protocol of the BOP anyway. I just thought the poster might find that fact interesting. BTW, he said he literally thought he was going to die, sweats, constant diarrhea, shakes, unable to eat much and generally miserable for two weeks plus.

I've always heard that Neurontin was best on nerve time pain but not particularly good with disc/bone or muscle pinching or whatever. Just thought I'd share what I know or heard from others. Good Luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Whoopee For This Useful Post:
jerems76 (01-30-2012)
Old 01-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
(male)

jerems76 HB User

Thank you, Whoopie. If nothing else, I'll have the Neurontin available if my sciatica starts acting up during withdrawals. I suspect your friend may have been doing a bit more oxy than I do, but I do expect the withdrawals to be bad and will be talking to my PM doctor about getting clonadine for blood-pressure spikes and a small supply of Valium (to sleep and overcome the worst of the anxiety). I'm using the "Thomas Recipe". Google it if you wish. I have Xanax for academic presentations, but its too short acting for what I need during the withdrawal. I know benzos are addictive, but even if its just for 3 days, I can taper off that too.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Whoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB User

Now that you mention Clonadine, he did tell me that one night when he couldn't sleep, they took him to the nurse's station (ER'ish, I think) and they gave him just that. He said it kind of took the jitters away. BTW, he said he was on almost 400mg of Oxy daily when he went in and he actually feared for his life being cut down so fast. Apparently, there's very little compassion in prison, go figure.

Let me tell you, he has some great stories to tell when we're sitting around having a beer or two.

The Following User Says Thank You to Whoopee For This Useful Post:
jerems76 (01-30-2012)
Old 01-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #9
(female)

I actually use clonidine as part of my BP meds. When I weaned off of benzos that I had been using for sleep prior to the MRI that explained the leg pain at night. I still take a small amount with my other BP med.

It does keep your BP and pulse down. If you already have High blood pressure you don't want drug withdrawal to send it to stroke levels.
I watched my child come off of a major OXY habit. I was lucky that he could and would dose down. Still watching it made me scared to go for help for my pain.

The doc did give him clonidine and Neurontin to get through it.

Good luck with your process, because after all that is what this is.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:18 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

while neurontin is kind of the standard for trying to rien in neuropathic or radiculopathic type pain, the problem is, you seriously need to be on it in a more consistant way and every day to really get the full benefits out of it, since this just is one of those types of meds that need to really build up in our systems to get the best out of it(i was Rxed neurontin as the very initial med for my pretty severe radcu pain early on before my c spine ACDF was done). considering your particular reaction jerems, that is what i was more concerned about since it sounded like you were planning on taking this in a PRN sort of way, like only at night to get you thru? it really needs to build up in ones system before it really can begin to give anyone the possible 'full benefit' of the drug. but if ONLY taken at night, and on the smallest dose it actually DID give the same side effects you mentioned(makes you 'pass out' as you stated before) AT that lower dose, i would ask your PM about 'possibly' using it, or "trying it' just to see how well it would even work? just make CERTAIN that if you should decide to 'try it' that you definitely let the rxing doc of the other WD meds simply also KNOW that you are going to take it at all too. the doc simply does need to be aware of anything that you are going to be taking or took BEFORE he or she makes that decision to rx anything else that just 'could' react with any other NEW meds too. its just NOT usually rxed/used PRN, thats all. i DO agree that a smaller amount of temp valium could also help with the kicks there too, but depending upon YOUR overall severity. you just also 'may' require some type of muscle relaxer besides the benzos too, depending. sometimes the valium simply is not enough by itself. it does not work by itself for my levels of spasticity, so i DO have robaxin to take as well with it, and all day long too(plus those epsom baths at night?). this particular med combo seems to actually hit different types of muscles that we just have, that all seem to go wonky when anything stims them into like the RLS crap or spasm.

while anyones BP would go up and down kind of roller coaster style during the WDs, you are getting, or 'were' actually getting the very same thing occur whenever you pain fully presented too, whether you realized it or not? its just how pain impacts our BPs too when it tends to flare. but the clonidine IS a pretty standard BP med(and does help with other WDs too) used during the WD from narcotics and should be rxed if needed. all this stuff just should be Rxed by that Rxing doc of your narcotics BEFORE you get to the place where enough oxy has been lost to really start impacting you in the worst ways. what i mentioned to you in the other post about getting ALL of your potential WD symptoms 'covered' includes the clonidine, getting some immodium for the looser stools you will more than likely also have, among other meds to 'cover' what the docs most certainly just KNOW what is going to occur with your situation, and simply having them there with you BEFORE you may need them, not 'while' you suddenly start suffering with something(esp if it occurs on any given weekend), ya know what i mean? they need to help you simply 'prepare' better for coming of the narcotics that they rxed to you.

just an FYI here tho. people who just very suddenly CT off narcotics(whether forced by circumstances beyond their control or by choice) will of course suffer the much more severe levels of the WD symptoms which can include some pretty insane levels of BP spikes too(and with 'some', also irratic heart rhytms, but usually only with sudden CT). but the 'taper' you are doing, should NOT be as bad as anyone going totally CT type situation, so that IS a really good thing for you. just DO have all things in place BEFORE your get to the point where you do go completely off. but doing a much slower taper as you are doing, i personally feel IS the best way that will hopefully also give you much lower risks of overall side effects too. you may NOT even need the clonidine, it all depends upon YOUR BPs during that period. i WOULD be getting those checked out while doing this either by buying one of the home auto systems which i know with mine is as accurate as my own 'regular' BP cuff and stethascope. you just do not want to "drop down' your BP to serious levels by takeing a med to lower it when it does NOT NEED to be lowered either. that can be even more dangerous and place you into shock by BP crash at the very least. you can either do your own BP at home, or simply go to any local fire dept and have them check it out for you too. we used to do this all the time for people who wandered in to our station. they just knew our regular training days and would pop in every monday morning. but if you have a full time dept close by, even better since there is almost always someone there who just can do a quick BP on you too. but you DO need to be accurate with your BPs so it does not get too low with a med or too high either. you just need 'your' individual BPs to simply try and stay within all norms. the more within norm, the better.

but you 'should be' okay given the slower taper.

just make darn certain that the Rxing doc just IS also helping you off with ALL of the potential symptoms completely covered before they should possibly pop in, not after. they just already know what this process involves, and what it CAN do to our bodies as well. i hope all goes really well and am so glad your pain is down enough to even be able to go this route jerems. just DO try and be as safe as possible during this period, and you should do just fine. keep us ALL posted. marcia

Last edited by feelbad; 01-31-2012 at 08:23 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to feelbad For This Useful Post:
jerems76 (01-31-2012)
Old 01-31-2012, 06:12 PM   #11
(male)

jerems76 HB User

Thanks for that lengthy post. I'm rather frustrated today. I had to freeze the taper at 25 mg. I'm not sure if I'm one of these that had an injection that worked great for a week or two and then stopped (although my sciatica is still gone at least), or if I'm getting residual back pain because of the reduction of dosages. Also, I can't tell for sure if the pain is bad or not. It feels bad, but I wonder if this is just because of how conditioned that I am to the analgesics. If it is a symptom of tapering, it is currently only one of two, the other being insomnia. On Thursday, I find out from my PM if I can start treatment with constitutionally state-sanctioned medicine. That will help a bit.

Until then, I'm still taking my doses (and also some Soma), currently 10mg in morning and night with 5 mg at 3:00 p.m. 5mg does nothing. 10 seems to give at least some relief, but not what it used to.

Oh ya, my BP is usually borderline high, so I expect that it will spike, but I will be talking to my doc about it. I live 1 mile from a Walgreens, so it may be good for me to get out (for at least 15 minutes) and use their machine (if they still have them in stores, that is).

Thanks again.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:13 PM   #12
(male)

jerems76 HB User

Thanks for that lengthy post. I'm rather frustrated today. I had to freeze the taper at 25 mg. I'm not sure if I'm one of these that had an injection that worked great for a week or two and then stopped (although my sciatica is still gone at least), or if I'm getting residual back pain because of the reduction of dosages. Also, I can't tell for sure if the pain is bad or not. It feels bad, but I wonder if this is just because of how conditioned that I am to the analgesics. If it is a symptom of tapering, it is currently only one of two, the other being insomnia. On Thursday, I find out from my PM if I can start treatment with constitutionally state-sanctioned medicine. That will help a bit.

Until then, I'm still taking my doses (and also some Soma), currently 10mg in morning and night with 5 mg at 3:00 p.m. 5mg does nothing. 10 seems to give at least some relief, but not what it used to.

Oh ya, my BP is usually borderline high, so I expect that it will spike, but I will be talking to my doc about it. I live 1 mile from a Walgreens, so it may be good for me to get out (for at least 15 minutes) and use their machine (if they still have them in stores, that is).

Thanks again.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:58 PM   #13
(female)

If it's a steroid injection the pain will eventually come back. Be cautious about thinking you don't or won't need the pain meds. I had 2 injections 2 months apart. Then no more. Steroids are hard on my system.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:17 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Jerems, That's pretty much how tapering goes, The first couple reductions may go very smoothly but then you hit a point where any little pain is greatly magnified, It's more likely your feeling more pain because of the taper and it will just take time for normal endorphin production to reset and for you to feel comfortable without the meds. Unless you hurt yourself, fell, strained , something, Epidurals usually wear off slowly, you should be getting the peak effect 2 weeks out. Having to put up with the extra pain is why I've always just tapered quickly when I had to post op. No point in spending more time sick then neccesarry, Once you hit a certain piont with physical dependence, the dose you were taking really doesn't make a huge difference in how long withdrawal last. Opiate withdrawal is pretty predictable as far as how long and when the bad days are. I wouldn't use nerontin as a knock out med when you can't stand the withdrawal. Other than being sedating it really doesn't serve a purpose unless you take it the way it's meant to be taken. Have you tried reducing the dose to reduce the side efects, you may have simply titrated to quickly and that's why the side effects were so severe. It may still prove to be helpful with the sciatica if you find a dose you tolerate better. Clonodine is the preferred med for withdrawal not just because it keeps BP down but it also helps with pain on it's own.

I've never heard of sny atate sactioned drug for withdrawal other then methadone or subutex/suboxone., I am curious what you meant by constitutionally state-sanctioned medicine? You mean the benzo portion of the do it yourself thomas recipe. I always founnd distraction is the best tool. I am by no means an expet on withdrawal or a gamer, but I did play tomb rader for about 4 days straight 5 weeks after my last fusion when they decided the surgery was a sucess and I no longer needed meds. Keeping yourself distracted rather than sitting around thinking about how bad you feel with the shakes, sweats and RLS makes the time pass faster. The same is true with dealing with pain, if your distracted and buisy you don't tend to dwell on how you physically feel.

good luck, Dave

Old 02-01-2012, 09:25 AM   #15
(male)

jerems76 HB User

Thanks for your message. I actually adjusted my taper from 30 days down to 14 days, because I figured why stretch it out, and I was able to get about 1 week of childcare covered. Tomorrow, I'll be down to 20 mg. I think the back pain that I have experienced is not truly back pain. My ESI is still working. Instead, it is something called "rebound pain" or in another place on google I found a PDF from a doctor talking about "Analgesia/Pain Syndrome". In other words, my body pulling out all the stops to get me to keep taking the oxy, even creating pain that isn't there any more. Good thing, I am already a researcher, have a good PM doc and am committed to my detox.

Good call about the video game. I rarely have time to play any more because I'm writing a PhD dissertation, but I will now have a week to do so. I just purchased "Final Fantasy XIII-2". I don't know how much I'll enjoy it, but it will at least give me something in which to zone out.

Last edited by moderator2; 02-01-2012 at 09:28 AM.

Closed Thread