It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

MiseryFields HB User
Chest pain! Could this be a pinched nerve?

Last night, I coughed and got a sharp pain in my chest. I felt around the area and found that if I pressed on my rib, it felt kind of bruised. I stretched a few times, arms over my head, and arms behind my back, and coughed again to see if it felt different. When I did, it didn't hurt at all. I bent over to move something off of my chair and coughed again and it started hurting again. I tried experimenting a few times, stretching, coughing, no pain; bending, coughing, pain again.

I had pleurodesis on my left side at the beginning of December, and since then have been getting pains on all parts of my torso (referred pain, someone called it) and I'm wondering if it could be just that or possibly a pinched nerve or I don't even know.

Any ideas?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2012, 06:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: Chest pain! Could this be a pinched nerve?

I think it more likely that you have stretched a ligament or pulled a muscle. That can happen with something as simple as a sneeze, can cause great discomfort and can take a long time to go away.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Chest pain! Could this be a pinched nerve?

try a good search on 'costochondritis' and see how your symptoms compare. my husband ended up with this just all of the sudden out of the blue one day and we BOTH thought he was having at least some type of a cardiac event. it was only because the pain was sudden and soo bad. we went to his primary who ruled out cardiac then dxed him with the costo. this is simply an inflammation within the cartiledge that sits kind of outside of the breastbone that actually connects the ribcage TO that sternum/breastbone. if this IS costo, taking something like aleeve and using moist heat on this area should help(if you cannot for some reason tolerate heat, but you should with this, try cold and see how THAT feels). no one really knows for certain just 'why' this happens, but it can have a viral or bacterial underlying 'base' in some people. but more often, it 'just happens'. since you DID have some type of issues going on before in that area at all, it could possibly be interconnected in some way too. esp if there had been alot of coughing going on before with that.

this just 'could be' the underlying problem. or as teri mentioned actually a "pulled' muscle/ligament. these are the more 'benign' causes tho. but chest pain, depending upon your age, if it persists or really starts to radiate to other areas that are interconnected, or you start to become short of breath i would at least see your primary for them to simply do that basic cardiac eval and rule THAT out to be certain.

just DO look up the costo and look at a few different pages on it. some info when it comes to looking up any medical conditions, really wont always have all what you just need to know about any given condition. so i always look up several sources when doing this type of research. but this really does sound like it to me. good luck with this and hope it goes away soon. it can take awhile sometimes depending on just how you treat it and how much area is actually inflammed. marcia

Closed Thread