It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #1
(female)

hatemyfeet HB Userhatemyfeet HB Userhatemyfeet HB Userhatemyfeet HB Userhatemyfeet HB User
Switching from ms contin to methadone

Hello, hope everyone is having a painfree weekend! I have severe nerve pain from RSD and I am considering changing from ms contin to methadone. ( PM drs suggested it) I am pretty freaked out about what I have heard about methadone which consists of only the things you hear on the news and on here. I know it is the only opiate that targets nerve pain?? Well, that's that I read on here anyway. Does anyone take it for nerve pain of any kind and is it really better? How do they switch you? I thought I read somewhere that it is a slow process and can be pretty uncomfortable because you have to start slow? Thank you in advance. Hope everyone has a fantastic day! K.

Last edited by hatemyfeet; 03-03-2012 at 12:55 PM. Reason: fixed wording

Old 03-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User
Re: Switching from ms contin to methadone

Hi there...I have never taken Methadone...but I am on MSContin...

Are you on any type of actual nerve pain medication? Narcotics are meant to go to specific parts of the brain and basically "dull" the pain...Make you not care as much...

But narcotics are not made for nerve pain..

Medicine like Lyrica, Cymbalta, and Neurontin to name a few are specifically meant to help with nerve pain.

After my first and second surgery...I used Cymbalta for a few years and this helped tremendously with the nerve pain. Thankfully after my 3rd surgery...my nerve pain has subsided.

Not that an opiate can't be used in conjunction with any of these...it's not made for that type of pain.

Just like there are muscle relaxers...which also work differently and specifically for muscle pain. Some examples of those medicines are Flexeril, Robaxin, Skelaxin, Soma.....

My point is that you should work with a Dr. to find a comprehensive plan that includes different types of medication but also any procedures and/or modalities to help as well.

Hopefully they are not just treating you with just one medication and nothing else...

Any time I have switched from one medicine to another....my Dr. has just tirated slowly down on one and tirated up on the other. If you start to have any withdrawals...just speak with the Dr. and they will slow down...

Keep in mind that it's not about milligram for milligram...and that every medicine has a cross tolerance. So they should always start you on a low dosage of a new medicine. This is also to make sure that any side effects are not intolerable or any type of allergic reaction.

So it takes some time to get to the correct dosage to achieve the same level of pain relief.

I wish you luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
(female)

hatemyfeet HB Userhatemyfeet HB Userhatemyfeet HB Userhatemyfeet HB Userhatemyfeet HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycutedog View Post
Hi there...I have never taken Methadone...but I am on MSContin...

Are you on any type of actual nerve pain medication? Narcotics are meant to go to specific parts of the brain and basically "dull" the pain...Make you not care as much...

But narcotics are not made for nerve pain..

Medicine like Lyrica, Cymbalta, and Neurontin to name a few are specifically meant to help with nerve pain.

After my first and second surgery...I used Cymbalta for a few years and this helped tremendously with the nerve pain. Thankfully after my 3rd surgery...my nerve pain has subsided.

Not that an opiate can't be used in conjunction with any of these...it's not made for that type of pain.

Just like there are muscle relaxers...which also work differently and specifically for muscle pain. Some examples of those medicines are Flexeril, Robaxin, Skelaxin, Soma.....

My point is that you should work with a Dr. to find a comprehensive plan that includes different types of medication but also any procedures and/or modalities to help as well.

Hopefully they are not just treating you with just one medication and nothing else...

Any time I have switched from one medicine to another....my Dr. has just tirated slowly down on one and tirated up on the other. If you start to have any withdrawals...just speak with the Dr. and they will slow down...

Keep in mind that it's not about milligram for milligram...and that every medicine has a cross tolerance. So they should always start you on a low dosage of a new medicine. This is also to make sure that any side effects are not intolerable or any type of allergic reaction.

So it takes some time to get to the correct dosage to achieve the same level of pain relief.

I wish you luck!
Thank you for the reply. Yes, I am on neurontin and nortriptyline. So the methadone is to be used with those meds for my pain just like the ms contin is. RSD has many types of pain and needs several kinds of meds to combat it. I have read that methadone works on nerve pain while other opiates do not?? Thanks again for your help and I hope you're having a pain free day.

Last edited by hatemyfeet; 03-03-2012 at 12:57 PM. Reason: fixed wording :)

Old 03-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Good to know you are on other meds that help...

Again...others can chime in...but I haven't heard anything about Methadone being any more effective than other opiates specifically for RSD....

It may help you better in the fact that each type of opiate hits a different receptor in the brain. And even sometimes it's just about having tolerance to a medicine (depending on how long you have been on MSContin)...so a switch may just help due to that...

I have rotated different medications during the 11 years I have been in pain management...

The other good thing about Methadone is that it has a long half life...which means that it delivers a very constant flow of medication into your system.

And just FYI....but using the term "meth" can confuse people as that is usually used for Methamphetamines....not for Methadone...

I wish you luck..

Old 03-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
(female)

Thanks ILMCD! I really appreciate your input.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
(male)

Mikeh66 HB UserMikeh66 HB User

I have been on methadone for over 2 yrs. (90mg/day) and my "only" (but severe) problem was the sweats. To top it off I live in south Florida where it is already hot.

I am actually doing the opposite of you. In a couple of days I will be stopping methadone and starting ms contin because of the sweats.

God bless
MikeH66

Old 05-04-2013, 06:57 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hi Hate my feet, You are correct that the yu have to go slow ith meth , this is due tothe incrediably long half life. Switchng to meth is much easier than swithcing away from meth though. Because of the half life, By the 5th day you ghave double the amount that you would have fom taking a singledose of say 100 mgs taken on day one. This slow vuild up because of half ligfe means they have to go slow. As far as how docs switch some taper down and add in meth , Persoally I have done cold switches each and every time I moved from meth to morphine or back to again. It's not like it's going to kill you, I was fortunate enough to have a doc that believes in BT meds and I never incorporated my BT meds to become just part of the daily routine. If your given say 3 10 mg percs a day for BT and you take them every day for BT, They aren't BT meds any longer. They are just part of the daily routine. This is where most people go wrong with BT meds and why some docs are so tight with BT meds, Because they know most people will take whatever they are given at the max dose every day whether they need it or not in an attempt to achieve as much relief as possible. When you do this and actually have a flair, Taking the BT med has no more effect than it had when you took the max dose the day before and the day before that. Again a cold switch to meth is much easier than a cold switch away. The meth itself even at a lower dose than required for pain will generally prevent withdrawal, it just wont cover the pain as well, But its crucial not to take extra and stick to a rigid schedule. You will get twice the relief on day 5 than you got the first day. Good luck, Dave

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shoreline For This Useful Post:
ferd144 (05-04-2013), hatemyfeet (05-11-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #8
(female)

Hi Dave &Mike,

I completely forgot about this post, it was made over a year ago. I never did go to methadone because it turns out I have a mild heart condition that prevents it. My PM dr put me on the fentanyl patch and it has worked wonders for my RSD/CRPS. Not a cure all by any stretch, but its certainly leaps and bounds better than ms contin IMHO. Thanks again for your replies, never can have too much information when it comes to medicine/healthcare. :-) Have a wonderful weekend! hmf

The following user gives a hug of support to hatemyfeet:
ferd144 (05-04-2013)
Old 05-11-2013, 05:34 AM   #9
(male)

jrf2 HB User
Wink Re: Switching from ms contin to methadone

I am praying that's what my doctors decide to do. I have been abusing ms for two years,one doc wants to put me on suboxone, I tried to wait out the two days but couldn't make it so I had a bad reaction unbearable pain obviously.I've read bad things about suboxone I'm not saying its not for some people just not for someone in my condition so I am looking at my pain management in a new light I am doing the research so as to narrow down the most effective pain cocktail as possible to include hopefully from ms to methadone,nuerontin,ibuprofen,possibly flexiril? I have nerve damage in my feet hip pain from a traumatic fall and spinal pain so its nerve,bone,and muscle pain.I think physical therapy hypnosis massage ect are all going to be a very proactive approach to these pain issues. I hope this helps and yes from what I've heard its not to bad of a switch from ms to methadone. please keep your spirits up and enjoy your day to your best ability!!

Closed Thread