It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2012, 08:12 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

zoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB User
How long does suboxone stay in your system for a drug test?

Hello everyone. I have been on suboxone for a year and in the process of tapering off, which has been extremely difficult.
Anyway I am thinking about changing jobs, and the new job does drug tests, which is ok by me, as I have a drug test everymonth at my sub MD.
Does anyone know if suboxone shows in a drug test, or if I stop, how long will the sub stay in my urine. I really want this new job, but also don't want to pop positive for anything.
Any experience or help would be appreciated.
Thank you
Gracie

Old 03-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User
Re: How long does suboxone stay in your system for a drug test?

I don't think anyone here as we aren't medical professionals will be able to tell you exactly how long a medication stays in your system. There are too many variables from the half life of the mediation itself, to the metabolism of a person, to other health issues, other medications taken..etc.

If you happen to still be on the medication when you apply for a job and need to take a test. You simply show them your legal prescription from the DR. and say that you are tapering down with supervision...It's just kept in your health records...

Many people have gotten jobs while on opiate medications. The only time you would be an automatic non hire is if the job requires operating heavy machinery or driving a vehicle for the company.

If you are tapering down...I would be careful of going on/off the medication just for a test....as this could cause serious withdrawals...

The main reason they do a drug test is to look for anything that is not legal or not prescribed by a Dr...

You should be fine...

Good luck!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

zoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB Userzoiegrace HB User

ilovemycutedog, thanks for the reply. My script is legal, and the meds Iwas taking for pain were legal. My PM MD closed office after 3 years, with all my tests and records, can't find him anywhere. So I had to work, and went on subs to prevent WD, worst thing I ever did in my life, as he started me out at 32mg. I believed him, now a year later I'm down to 6mg. It's a wicked terrible kick, and I can't miss work. I believe it is a good medication for some. But alot of sub MDs are in it for the cash. My fault for now researching the med until I was addicted. I was im PM for over 10 years, but would like to be off of everything to see where I stand. Subs do nothing for my pain, and I understand some PM Mds are using it for pain, depression, etc.
I was told I need surgery on my back, and thats not going to happen. I HAVE to work, no choice, or I loose my house and everything. I would like to go back into PM, but still paying off the expensive tests and PT and epidurals I had done in 2008. I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place.
You've been thru the mill with your back. Are you able to work now, after all your surgeries etc.
Thanks again
Gracie

Old 03-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
(male)

Brokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB UserBrokend HB User

You would probably get the best answer from the doctor who prescribes your Suboxone or even a pharmacist. I would think that the doctor would know for sure though, and if he/she doesn't know, they would have the best resources available to find out.

A number of years ago I had a doctor stop prescribing pain meds out of the blue and was left with the task of dealing with withdrawals from going cold turkey. It was awful, and in my search for a remedy I found a Suboxone site and set up an appt with the doctor.
He started me out on 8mg 3x a day. Due to the insane price of the medication and treatment, I stayed on the 8mg for a week, then tapered myself off of it the next week. I know it isn't advisable to ignore a doctor's orders, nor is every person the same, but I managed to get on the Suboxone and off of it in two weeks total with almost no withdrawal when I quit taking it. Very, very minor symptoms of withdrawal that lasted maybe 2 days at the most.

I often read about CP patients who end up turning to Suboxone for one reason or another. The thing that surprises me (or doesn't surprise me) is how long these doctors are stringing people along on this medication. In many cases years at a time to the tune of hundreds of dollars a month.

Anyway... back to the original question, be sure to check with your doc first, and if he/she doesn't know I am sure they could point you to where you could find out for sure.

Closed Thread