It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

MiseryFields HB User
Sharp, but intermittent pain in my right side ribs?

For a few months now, I've been getting a sharp, almost pinching kind of pain in my ribs on the right side. It can be anywhere between right under my nipple to the very bottom of my ribs. I've been to the doctor numerous times (I've had my LEFT lung collapse four times and I could always tell because of a pinching pain under my ribs, so when I felt it on the RIGHT side, I rushed myself to the ER), but every time they've done X-Rays, they said that nothing was abnormal and that I was fine. They gave me a two weeks prescription for Celexa a few months ago, but that didn't help at all, it actually made my anxiety worse and the pinching pains didn't go away at all.

I've tried exacerbating the area to see if anything makes it worse, so that way I can at least tell if it's skeletal, muscular or something wrong with my lung, but nothing I do seems to cause it to flare up. EXCEPT, I sleep with two pillows and the bottom one always moves, and when I'm lying on my right side, I reach up and pull it back into place with my left arm and the pain seems to flare up ever so slightly. I've tested this a few times and it seems to be the only thing that makes it any worse.

Also, and I have no idea if this has anything to do with it or not, but once in a while, when I'm drinking something cold, it seems like I can feel that coldness in the area of my ribs where the pain seems to radiate.

Could anyone help me out? Like I said, I've been to the doctor on multiple occasions and have hefty bills that I can't afford piled up, so please, please, PLEASE don't suggest that I go back there again.

Oh, I don't know if this would have anything to do with it, but in December I had pleurodesis on my left lung because of the multiple collapses. Maybe some kind of referred nerve damage pain?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
(female)

annie193 HB User
Re: Sharp, but intermittent pain in my right side ribs?

I do experience the same exact pain! I have been through everything from a heart catherization, stress test, and every imaginable test for my gall blader! I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia!

Old 03-31-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
(female)

crazy di HB Usercrazy di HB Usercrazy di HB User

Hey misery, have you only had xrays. I suggest you get a ct or mri. I have had 2 l lung collapses but besides that pain in the r ribs 2 years ago sent me to the er. Diagnosis: A twisted hernaiated disc a t9-t10 they literally had to take out 2 left ribs to get in. I would definately get a ct or mri. Xrays dont show much. If this has been going on for that long,check to see if the hospital has a cherity care to cover yur expences. You'll have to fill out some paperwork but its worth it. Good luck p.s. Did'nt mean to scare you. It really could b anything. Have it chcked out. Prayers to you crazy di

Old 03-31-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
(female)

annie193 HB User

I appreciate the prayers! I have had the mri with and without dye. ct scans as well! I will pray for you!

Old 04-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #5
(female)

CaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB User

Check out something called costochrondritis. It's a very painful inflammation of parts of the ribcage. It is not harmful, in and of itself, but is very painful. It can "travel" with other diseases, so it may be symptomatic of a larger problem. There is a board here for it but it has very little activity. I suggest an internet search. In people w/other pain problems it can often just be written off as fibromyalgia w/o much thought going into it. I take Oxycotin for my back and it does not help this darn rib pain. Ugg, Best wishes to you!

Old 04-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

babs17 HB Userbabs17 HB User

Hello MiseryFields,

Very Sorry to hear about your constant pain. I have pain from my right breast to my mid-rib-area. It also goes numb sometimes. At first, my doctor checked for any Liver or Gallbladder problems. After that was cleared, he checked for Thoracic Herniations (because the Nerves in the Thoracic area radiate to the rib area). And BINGO!! I had Herniations in the Thoracic area. They are VERY RARE, so most doctors DO NOT check that area of the Spine, via MRI. But if you're having rib pain, I would highly recommend that you suggest an MRI for that section of your Spine.

So, if your LIVER & GALLBLADDER have been cleared by simpler & cheaper medical tests, I'd really go for the Thoracic MRI.

Lastly, the poster who suggested costochrondritis is right on target as well. This was another Diagnosis that the Doctors were looking-into for me. If your Liver, Gallbladder, & Thoracic MRI are all unremarkable....there is a good chance that this would be your diagnosis.

Is it ONLY on the RIGHT side?? And do you get any numbness or tingling in the area?

C4-C7 Herniations
T5-T10 Herniations
L3-S1 Herniations
Thoracic Fusion via Thoracotomy 10/06

Old 04-09-2012, 11:14 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

MiseryFields HB User

Babs - I haven't been to the doctor lately (no primary care doctor and massive bills already piled sky-high). The pain has lessened greatly since my first post, and is almost nonexistent now.

The first time I went into the hospital for a collapsed lung, I thought it might have been costochondritis, as I had self-diagnosed myself with it the first time my lung had collapsed, six months prior to this hospital visit. The ER doctor first tested me to see if it was costochondritis, but found nothing suggesting it, only a collapsed lung. Terrifying for me to find out, I can assure you of that. I was hooked up to the monitors at the time and my heart rate went from an even 60 to 130 in a space of just a few seconds. lol

To answer your question, though, there's no numbness, nor is there any tingling.

I did have VATS and chemical pleurodesis surgery on my left lung in December, though, and people on the BlebBusters forums have told me that pains on both sides have a tendency to come with the territory when recovering from pleurodesis. So, I'm thinking that it's most likely that mixed with my absolutely wretched anxiety.

I do appreciate your input, though!

Old 04-10-2012, 03:30 AM   #8
(female)

crazy di HB Usercrazy di HB Usercrazy di HB User

babs crazy di here did u have your thorasic operated on? 2 yrs ago was waking around with wht i thought was a pulled muscle mid back went to the eruti was the diagnosis.went back was having the numbness tingling on right side. ct was taken they thought i had herniated disc. wonderful. went to er of where my surgens r was admitted. had the longest milogram 1and 1/2 hrs. they couldnt see it cause it was twisted. long story short, had to remove 2 ribs from left side to get in. yes very rare. first time 4 my surgeon on the twisted. so rare they had other surgeons come in from other hospitals to watch. its now in medical journal along with a cd. if u can avoid thorasic surgery do it. have had nothing butproblems and pain since. i go threw pmanagement. i look like a road map 3-L5 S1,1-T9-T10,1-C-4 C-5. c spine and lumbar r pending other surgerys. I'm falling apart, but i'm walking. have had the collapsed lug too. no problems with that. 18 surgeries since i was 21 i am 52 now. oh well i pray u will be out of pain and thorasic surgery takes the herniation pain away,but the after effects i don't know if its worth it . the doctors said it had to b done so i had no choice. have a wonderful day and take your days one at a time. prayers to you love di

The following user gives a hug of support to crazy di:
annie193 (04-11-2012)
Closed Thread