It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2012, 10:43 PM   #16
(male)

Aubrey3611 HB User
Re: Using Opana... and scared

GOSH ..... are you folks wonderful or what ??? Bless your hearts ..Thanks so much for exposing your heart and soul for a stranger ..... It's really been a bad month ... ( not looking for pity ) but we've had several deaths in our family ... Riding this roller coaster of emotions can be stressful. My Dad passed away 2 weeks ago .... It was terrible ( I'll spare you the details ) Oh well .... Thanks again for being my " New pals "

Rich

Old 04-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #17
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Rich,

I'm so sorry for your loss. My mom and dad passed away last year 5 months apart, I know that roller coaster.

We are here for you, that's what makes these boards great, having people around that are going through the same things and know how you feel, the frustrations, anger, irritability, and yeah even when we each need a little pity party. *smile* Hang in there, okay, and know that you've got lots of friends cheering you on.

Kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #18
(male)

Aubrey3611 HB User

OK KAT , I need to lean on you again ....... ( sorry for being such a wimp ) OK, I saw my Doctor today. We talked about several options for my pain Management. I've been taking Opana ER 30s for over a year ( as stated in the first post ) With limited supplies, The Doctor decided to try a different med .... He put me on Exalgo ER 12 Mg.... Rite Aid had to order it ... so I haven't tried it yet .........BUT , after doing some research , NOW, I am absolutely Petrified to put this pill in my mouth ..... We determined I do need to be on Extended Release pain medication .... BUT Talk about nervous !!!! I haven't had any problems with Opana ... I have tolerated it well ... But Now what do I do ??? I don't think I have ever been this upset ....or anxious about anything in my life ..... Am I over reacting ? ....( I've been taking the Opana ER 30s , with Percocet for BT pain .... This plan has been working pretty well ..... ANY comments ?

Thanks so much
Rich

Old 05-03-2012, 12:16 AM   #19
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Rich,

Your not a wimp, and don't ever worry about asking me a Q, I don't mind helping if I can.

Exalgo is not all that different from Opana, Exalgo is Hydromorphone, Opana is Oxymorphone, they're both similar to Morphine in pharmacologic property's and how they work on pain.

Now, take a breath, and tell me why your so concerned about taking the Exalgo?

Kat

Old 05-03-2012, 12:35 AM   #20
(male)

HaZeX HB User

Just for reference 20 of Oxymorphone equals 12mg of hydromorphone. You'll probably need 16mg. Just guessing here, everyone is different.

Last edited by HaZeX; 05-03-2012 at 12:39 AM.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:48 AM   #21
Inactive
(female)

What are you using for your conversion equation?

The standard is 20 - 6; oxymorphone 20 to hydromorphone 6

Rich is taking 60mg a day of oxymorphone which would put him needing 18mgs of hydromorphone (exalgo)

Kat

Old 05-03-2012, 05:30 AM   #22
(male)

Aubrey3611 HB User

Well, generally speaking, I don't get bent out of shape over many things in life ..... But for some reason, this just hit me wrong. As soon as I got home from the doc I immediately started researching Exalgo .......after reading post after post ( from different sites ) I believe I just panicked .....the first 15 or so comments Talked about how expensive it is , it made everyone sick , it's worthless, on and on ....... Looking back , I probably over-reacted ...I forgot to put on my " Internet filter glasses " .....( not believing everything we read on the wide wide web ) ok thanks for settling me down .... Shuuuu weeeeee Ha ha ! Rich

Old 05-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #23
Inactive
(female)

Rich,

You know we all have those moments....they kinda go hand in hand with the "I'm really sick and tired of having to do this" moments.

You do have a choice here, if Exalgo is expensive or it does make you sick you can stay on Opana, there really isn't much difference in the two and your Dr. should be aware of that fact.

If you wanted to try something different out of that whole ballpark of meds, you could try just regular Morphine, it's not expensive, it's always in stock, don't see alot of people complaining of harsh side effects, and you can get it in LA or SA.

Don't be afraid to tell your Dr. what you want to do, or what you would like to try, it's your body, your wallet, and your the one dealing with the pain while driving back and forth to the pharmacy, not him.

And don't worry about the occasional over-reaction....I think we're allowed to do that every now and again, considering what we have to go through on a daily basis!

Hang in there.

Kat

Old 05-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #24
(male)

Aubrey3611 HB User

Thank you my friend ......I really appreciate you !!

Old 05-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #25
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User

To add my 2-cents.

A few months ago I switched from taking Oxymorphone to Dilaudid. I think the conversion charts are overly optimistic with regard to the Hydromorphone. I was started at 12mg/day but I ended up needing 4mg/6x/day = 24mg to achieve the level of relief that I was getting from Oxymorphone 5mg/6x/day = 30mg. After a couple of months I switched back to Oxymorphone (much better) and just used my left over Dilaudid as a back up BT med.

If you thought Opana was hard to find, and/or expensive, Exalgo will be a similar circumstance, or worse.

If Opana is working, why switch?

Iso

Old 05-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #26
(male)

Aubrey3611 HB User

I really didn't want to switch .... From day one I have not had one bit of trouble with Opana ...... The problem ??? No one has it !! The past 3 months have been a nightmare. It's funny... The drug reps tell my Doctor there is no problem ... All issues have been resolved .... But the pharmacists say ...... "we don't have it .... And we can't get it " .... So I had to have some sort of backup plan.... I just got a call from Rite Aid .... My Exalgo is ready .... So, tomorrow will be " day one " ..... Also , I'm wondering why my Doctor has prescribed 2 of the most expensive PM meds on the market .... Why not give something cheap ? He has repeatedly said , " they are all basically the same ...... " guess I'll find out ....

Thanks again for your help ... I appreciate you guys ( and Gals )

Rich. ( I'll let ya know how it goes this week .... Exalgo is a " once every 24 hrs med " .....that will be interesting !!! Ha ha ! Ha ha !

Old 05-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #27
(male)

Aubrey3611 HB User

Hey man .....well, you called it brother !! ( Iso ). ... Here's where we stand ....if I want to stick with Opana , I'll have to wait until mid August ( according to the head person at Rite Aid )
My doc put me on Exalgo ( as mentioned in the earlier post ) AND , as you predicted ... I can't get it !!! ( it's on back order ?.. COME ON people !! ) .....AND, my Doctor is getting ready to go on vacation...... This is so sad, it's almost funny ( SAD, that I find myself in this situation ) ......So, I'm going to try this .....( tell me what you think )

Instead of 2 Opana per day ... Go with one in the AM ....then 1 Percocet every 5-6 hours ... I have 39 pills ( Opana ) ?? Then , heck , I really don't know what to do ....
What do a think Iso & Kat ?

Thanks again
Rich

Old 05-06-2012, 01:52 PM   #28
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User

Rich-

Very simply. Get generic Oxymorphone. It will last nearly as long as Opana. I have taken both, I actually prefer the generic, it's cheap, it's easy, they can get it quickly, you can dose it any way you need to.... 10mg/6x/day, or 20mg/3x/day... It gives you options. You can easily drop your dose over time if you want or need to do so, you can split pills etc...

Last edited by Isotope; 05-06-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #29
Inactive
(female)

Question Re: Using Opana... and scared

Rich,

I've done some digging around and researching. It seems that a few months ago Opana became pain Dr.'s new favorite med, it's being prescribed alot, the demand is more than the production. Also, Endo Pharmaceuticals has just revamped the formula for Opana to make is safer and not so easy to abuse. Similar to what Purdue did with Oxycontin a couple years back. During this switch over period there will be limited quantities while they clean out old stock and get the new formulation on the shelves. So that's whats up with trying to get it.

If your going to change meds you need to decide tonight and get with your Dr. before he goes on vaca.

Trying to do it yourself and take some of this med, a little of that is never really a good idea. If your on a Pain Management Contract it's really not a good idea.

If you've been getting good pain coverage from 2 doses of Opana a day, switching to 1 Opana and a few Percocets each day most likely is not going to give you the same coverage and your getting the added extra daily acetaminaphen.

Switching to plain Oxymorphone would be one alternative, it's just not Long Acting, so you take it throughout the day, which you don't have a problem with. The med in itself seems to work ok for you so that shouldn't be a problem.

Another alternative would be to get out of that group of meds and switching to something like Morphine, it's LA and SA, not expensive and always in stock.

Unfortunately it's got to be your choice, what works for me or Iso, may not work for you, the 3 of us have very different kinds of pain. You have 17 days of Opana (39) left, it might be best to stay on that, since you know it works, until your doc gets back from vaca, provided he'll be back in that time frame.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #30
Senior Veteran
(male)

I agree. If you have enough Opana to get you through then you may want to just stick with that until your Doctor returns.

Take Care-

Iso

Closed Thread