It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2012, 11:47 PM   #31
(male)

Aubrey3611 HB User
Re: Using Opana... and scared

Can't thank both of you enough ...... One added note ( complication ) Remember in my earlier post ??? I mentioned my Doctor put me on Exalgo 12 mg ?? Well, The guy at Rite Aid said , It's been ordered .... Now , if it comes in soon ..... I'll need to make another decision if I'm going to " start this med " , knowing I'm not going to stick with it .... I already know it's going to be expensive and hard to get .... Gosh !!! Nothing seems to be going my way on this deal .... I hate to put my body through " Opana, then Exalgo , Then something else , ?? The Pharmacist said I didn't have to take the Exalgo , if I didn't want it ....they would just put it their stock .... Hummmm So .... sounds like I need to get with my Doctor ...soon ( per our last appointment, he was rather emphatic that he wants me on Long acting meds .... But, we'll see

Old 05-07-2012, 12:21 AM   #32
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Rich,

The pharmacist is correct, he can just restock with the Exalgo when it comes in, they won't force you to take it. Don't do anything that your not comfortable doing. Meet with your Doc and you and he figure it out.

The reason he wants you on LA meds, is because you've been on LA meds for quite a while, and if you go down to SA meds it's going to be difficult to keep your pain under control, unless your pain has gotten alot better since you started, and I don't recall you mentioning that it had.

There may be some docs out there that are in cahoots with the drug companies to push there meds or whatever, but all pain docs are not like that. Most of them are actually thinking about your welfare and what will work best for you. When chronic pain gets to a certain level for anyone, it's hard to keep it manageable with short acting medication. Your body is constantly trying to play catch up from the last dose to the next, and it just can't get ahead of the pain.

But for you, as for any of us, when it comes down to it, it's our bodies we have the final say. If you want off the LA meds for your own reasons, talk to your doc about it. If you do go down to just Percs or SA Morphine or something like that, ask your doc for just the narcotic med, you don't need all that tylenol everyday taxing your kidney's and liver. Percocet without tylenol is Oxycodone.

Kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #33
(male)

Aubrey3611 HB User

Well my friends.....what a terrible day .....I won't re-post my story ...but here's the deal..

I was on Opana 30 ER. .... Obviously , most folks know by now, we can't get the drug.....so my Doctor put me on Exalgo ER 12 mg .....I've used Perocet 10/325 or BT pain.....
OK OK ...... After some insurance issues, ( all resolved now ) I got the new drug yesterday.
SOOOOOOO today was D-Day for me ..... I woke up, took the Exalgo pill ....( it's a once every 24 hour med ) ......for 7 hours, I had stomach cramps .....not unbearable but none the less , THERE ....my bowels have alo been screwed up ..... Wow , I have felt like a truck ran through me ..... It's been awful .... I'd hate to see how my body would react to eliminating opiates ...... It's very troubling because Exalgo is a cousin of Opana ( Oxy vs Hydro ) .....finally at 3 pm I took a percocet ...... All those issues disappeared .....
It's been a real learning experience ...... Dealing with this crap .... And also dealing with legal matters concerning my Dad's passing ... Shuuuuuu weeeee it's a lot to handle .....
Thanks again everyone
Rich

Old 05-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #34
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Rich,

Sorry bud, sounds like your definitely going through it. Might help to take some OTC pepcid and/or gasx with the Exalgo until your stomach gets used to the med, it won't hurt anything in terms of efficacy of the drug, but can save you the extra gastric stuff that you surely don't need right now, you've got enough to deal with. Besides the tummy stuff, is it being effective on your pain?

Kat

Old 05-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #35
Senior Veteran
(male)

Isotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB UserIsotope HB User

Rich,

You were taking 60mgs total of Opana a day? And it was replaced with only 12mgs of Exalgo a day? Why such a big drop? Did you request it? Online conversions say you would need 45mg Exalgo a to replace 60mg Opana.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:36 AM   #36
(male)

Aubrey3611 HB User

Well.....my Doctor used a conversion chart ..... He said the only ER choice s he had was 12 or 16 mg , he debated which route to go , finally deciding on this strength . Gosh, it's 4:00 am ......been up all night. This has been awful. The only relief I get is with the Percocet ... I was tempted to go back to Opana ( I actually have 10 days of pills left ) but we are supposed to go on vacation with our daughter and her family .... I wanted this switch-over to be completed before next week. Gosh !!! I also sent a email message to Endo ( makers of Opana) their press release says there IS a steady flow of the new Opana available NOW ...but guess they forgot to tell the pharmacies ....thanks again Rich

Old 05-16-2012, 01:41 PM   #37
Inactive
(female)

Hey rich,

Sorry your still having a rough go of it.

Mallinkroft's official conversion calculation for Opana to Exalgo is 1 to 0.6, then Dr.'s usually deduct 25 to 50% for cross tapering when switching to a new med, which would put you needing around 18mgs of Exalgo at the minimum dosage. Yes the pills do only come in 8mg, 12mg and 16mg...but you can take a combination of pills to equal your recommended dosage or close to it.

If your still not getting relief, I would call your Dr. and get this taken care of before you leave on vacation and get stuck very far away from your Dr. and in a possible "emergent" pain situation.

He lowered your pain meds substantially when he moved you to the Exalgo, he may have had a reason for doing so, but he's started you off well below your minimal dose and it's not covering your pain. You 2 need to have a conversation about that and what to do next. Just because a tablet only comes in certain milligrams is not a reason to set your dosage. And it's not a max daily safety issue, the FDA UCM248769 daily max for Exalgo is 64mgs a day.

Hang in there,

Kat

Old 05-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #38
(male)

Aubrey3611 HB User

Another horrible day with Exalgo ..... The drugs in this product simply do not "jive" with my body ..... I know it's only been 3 days BUT that's IT NO MORE ... So, I contacted Eudo Pharmaceutical .... ( makers of Opana ) .... The lady was very understanding ..... She took all of my info .....( and complaints) ....Fortunately I got a appointment to see my Doctor tomorrow morning .... Once I have a script for Opana ER 30 ( what I've been taking for almost 2 years) Eudo will assist me in finding the med..... She said all issues have been resolved AND the pharmacies should be receiving the Opana ..... But , we will see
***** Final point
It is simply amazing how these drugs affect people differently. As they say , " your mileage may differ " You can say that again
Thanks
Rich

Old 05-17-2012, 01:09 AM   #39
Inactive
(female)

Rich,

Well I'm glad your getting it cleared up before you went on vacation, I'd be worried for you being away from your Dr. and not having your pain covered.

Now you can go and just enjoy your Daughter and her family and rest and relax. You've had a tough time of it lately. Hopefully the pharmacy will have their ducks in a row and the Opana won't be difficult for you to get.

Kat

Old 06-10-2012, 10:42 PM   #40
Inactive
(female)

Rich,

Hey, was wondering if you'd made it back from Vaca yet and seeing how everything went? Hope the pain meds are working out these days and your getting good relief. Sure hope you had a great visit with your daughter and family and had some painfree days!

Give a yell when you get a chance.

Kat

Old 06-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #41
(male)

Aubrey3611 HB User

Thanks so much for thinking about me. ( Us ) ..... The vacation went well ....the drive down was sooooooo long. Eleven hours !!! That's hard even for a healthy person , but after stopping 6-7 times, we made it..... Shuuuuuu Weeeeeeeee
I had 2 very bad ( pain ) days ... But the other 5 days turned out great.
I'll let you know if I get my Opana this week. Evidently, there is a huge problem in our area with illegal use...... Several stories on the news about robberies, home invasions, broad daylight drugstore holdups ....hopefully I can get this thing refilled again this week. ( I have a script )

Blessings to you
Are you OK ?

Rich

Old 06-13-2012, 10:15 PM   #42
Inactive
(female)

Goodness, Opana is not proving to be an easy med for you is it?

I'm well, busy with work, pain is staying at a steady 4 which has allowed me to get my annuals, roses and a new hibiscus in the ground over the last 2 weekends, so I'm good.

Glad to hear vaca went well...phew, don't envy you that drive!

Kat

Closed Thread