It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
(female)

tiggerfacr HB User
Drug Test and False positive

My husband went to his pain doctor today to have a shot put in his knee and they did a drug screen on him, which is normal, however today out of the 7 things they test for he tested postive for 5 of them. He does not take any medications that are illegel or not presribed to him. He takes Opana ER for pain, Percocet for break through, Klonopin for anxiety, and trazodone to sleep. Along with heart medication, blood thinner, and vitamin d, potassium, iron and a multi vitamin. All the other time it has come back fine and the doctor was given a list of the medication when we first started going to him and nothing has changed. Is there a way that this could have been a false postive? I was reseaching it and found where several of the meds he is taking could cause a false positve for certain things that the doctor said that he tested positive for today. Would it test negative on time and positive another time?

Old 04-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
Re: Drug Test and False positive

I really hate that this happened to your husband. This has been a problem for many PM patients and most times causes the patient to be released from the doctor's care. I've said many times that PM doctors need to be thoroughly educated about the medications they prescribe, how they metabolize in the body, and what these substances metabolize into when taken. It's the patients who suffer because of being falsely accused if the doctor isn't educated about these things.

If you don't mind sharing, can you tell us what he tested positive for? It might help everyone be able to actually give you some answers to your question.

I can tell you that hydrocodone metabolizes into hydromorphone which would cause a positive screening for morphine even if the patient has never taken morphine in their life. Same with oxycodone- it metabolizes into oxymorphone. If a doctor isn't aware of this, he will assume the patient is taking meds that he (the doctor) hasn't prescribed. I've seen it here on these boards.

Also, sometimes (from what I've heard- and anyone "in-the-knw" correct me if I'm wrong) certain herbal suplements, and other medications will alter how prescribed meds metabolize in the body when mixed/taken in combination with on another.

If you can share what your hubby tested positive for, then maybe we can be of more help.

In the mean time, how did the doctor react to this positive result? If he had results immediately and didn't send the sample to an outside lab, there's a good chance the test itself is the issue. The quick, in-office result test kits are notroriously inaccurate.

Last edited by ozzybug; 04-21-2012 at 08:14 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

I'm not sure what your husband tested positive for, you didn't say. But most of the meds you listed don't transfer or metabolize into anything. The oxycodone in the Percs can metabolize into Oxymorphon, but that wouldn't be a problem since the Opana ER is Oxymorphon, he should test positive for that. The psych drugs you mentioned stay pure, they don't change chemical properties and the Vitamins you mentioned are the same your body absorbs them as is. As Ozzy said, if you wanted to say what your husband tested positive for, perhaps we could be of more help, but with this information he shouldn't have been positive for anything except what he's taking.

Kat

Old 04-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
(female)

tiggerfacr HB User

He tested positive for benzodiazepines, opiates, and do not remember all the rest of them. My concern was that normal they send it of to be read and everything comes back clean and yesterday they did the test and checked it at the office and he tested positive for most everything. The doctor did have a list of all medication and knew what he was taking and I know for a fact that my husband as not taken anything illegal because I handle all medications. All the research that I have read yesterday and today say that the meds he is taking could cause you to test positive for these. He goes back to the doctor on the 1st and I am hoping to get to talk to the doctor then and find out for sure what is going on because when we first saw this doctor we had to give him a list of all meds he was on, which we did, nothing has changed meds wise, so the doctor knew he was taking these meds.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #5
(female)

tiggerfacr HB User

He tested positive for benzodiazepines, opiates, Cannabinoids and do not remember all the rest of them. I know that he would have test positive for benzo because of the klonopin and sleeping pills, the opiates are the pain meds. My concern was that normal they send it of to be read and everything comes back clean and yesterday they did the test and checked it at the office and he tested positive for most everything. The doctor did have a list of all medication and knew what he was taking and I know for a fact that my husband as not taken anything illegal because I handle all medications. All the research that I have read yesterday and today say that the meds he is taking could cause you to test positive for these. He goes back to the doctor on the 1st and I am hoping to get to talk to the doctor then and find out for sure what is going on because when we first saw this doctor we had to give him a list of all meds he was on, which we did, nothing has changed meds wise, so the doctor knew he was taking these meds. I was not able to go with him yesterday to see the doctor because I was at the hosiptal with his dad. But you are right they said that they would continue to work with him on his knee but as far as meds they will not write anymore because he tested positive for these yesterday.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

Tiggerfacr,

Okay, so you really need to go and talk to your husbands Dr., either he's confused or they are. He SHOULD test positive for Benzo's and Opiods because he takes Benzo's and Opiods. Klonopin is a benzo and Opana is an Opiod. I would be on the phone with them first thing Monday a.m. and find out what the heck they were talking about?

Unfortunately when Dr.'s do the quicky tests in their offices that's when most of the "false" positives happen, when they send an actual urine test to the lab it tends to come back clean.

Good Luck,

Kat

Closed Thread