It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
(female)

Rdbomb94 HB UserRdbomb94 HB User
I need some advice!!

Hi everyone~Thanks for taking the time to read this. Ok right now I am on 10/325 percs 3x a day as needed for bt and 60mg ms contin er 2x a day for pain. I have gone up the ms contin ladder 15,30,and now 60. I have taken them before and they worked fine a couple years ago,I don't know why the only time I get any relief now is when I take the percs. The ms contin take exactly 31 minutes to kick in and takes care of any other aches and pains but not the one I need it for. I would like to try Opana,I've heard heard good things about it. Can anyone offer advice? Please take into consideration I have a huge tolerance to pain meds. Any help please~Christina

Old 05-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: I need some advice!!

Hi.

Just know that you'll have to be on high dosages of the Opana, probably higher than you are on the Morphine to get relief, your doc may not want to jump you up on a different drug. Also be aware that Opana is much more expensive and right now Endo Pharmaceutical is having trouble meeting the demand. Many people are having to wait weeks to get their Opana scripts filled. So, there's nothing wrong with switching meds, just make sure you have all the relevant information. You'll need Opana ER, which is the LA Version, it's Oxymorphone which isn't all that different than morphine. Just be aware going in that it's going to be alot more hassle just getting the medication.

Take care,

Kat

The Following User Says Thank You to katlin09 For This Useful Post:
Rdbomb94 (05-07-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
(female)

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could try? I go back to see her on Thursday and so far the only thing she's been happy with is my weight loss!

Old 05-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

What kind of pain do you have, what are you taking the meds for?

Kat

Old 05-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
(female)

I cut my hand a couple years ago. So it's nerve pain(I've tried those meds too) and just a general aching pain. I can't use it much,just for little things. No lifting or carrying bags. I had to learn to type another way because I have about 15% feeling in my 1st and middle finger. But if I accidentally bang them it feels like the end is coming,I've never felt so much pain.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Have your Dr.'s ever considered nerve blocks or epidural type pain relief? Narcotics aren't the greatest at controlling nerve pain. Have you tried anything recently for the nerve pain in conjunction with your narcotic meds? They now use several different type of psych meds off label for nerve pain. There also nerve ablasion procedures and injections, have you been through all those options?

Kat

Old 05-08-2012, 06:02 AM   #7
(female)

We have and that's why we are at the narcotic step. I've been on narcotics for the ache I get in my hand just from using it daily. Now she's trying to find somthing LA. Thank you so much for replying.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Sorry couldn't be of more help, sounds like you've been through the usual wringer. Hope you and your doc find something that works for you.

Kat

Old 05-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
(female)

JustaMess9 HB User

Hey Rdbomb,

I too have bad nerve damage pain as well as a few other pain issues. I am currently on oxycontin and percocet which works pretty well. I'v had nerve blocks too but unfortunately I only got about 24hrs relief from them. After trying tons of different med combos this is what we have settled on. I will say though that in the past I have tried fentanyl and it worked great for my pain! However, the side effects were just too severe so I had to discontinue it. Sorry I can't be of more help, I hope your next appt. goes well though!

Take Care,
Christine

The Following User Says Thank You to JustaMess9 For This Useful Post:
Rdbomb94 (05-09-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #10
(female)

aqua12 HB Useraqua12 HB User

Hi Have you tried Oxycontin and Lyrica.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:37 AM   #11
Veteran
(male)

Whoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB User

I have to agree with a couple of the last posts. My thought is that if Percocet (oxycodone) works well for you, then Oxycontin (LA oxycodone) should work too. Also, I've heard that Neurontin is commonly used for nerve problems and is quite good but does have some precautions you'll need to be aware of.

So, I'd suggest those two drugs and see how it goes. My guess is that it'll be as good as anything you've tried yet but who knows... This PM thing is very individual as to what works for one may very well not for another. Good Luck!

Old 05-09-2012, 08:13 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

As Far as long acting pain meds, their just aren't that many choices, Their is LA Oxycodone, Morphine, Dilaudid,Oxymorphone, Methadone, I heard their is a new La verion of Levorphanol which is similar to methadone and then ya have fentanyl patches. All of which your doc is going to be familiar with.

Like others have said, Nerve pain is tough to mamane. Prior to my surgeries the pain from compressed nerves was never even touched by opiate pain meds, they helped with the back pain but didnt put out the fire of nerve pain, thats where meds like Neurontin, toppamax, Lyrica, or meds in the antidepressant class work. You would really be best telling the doc whats going on and letting them make the call. Asking for a specific med can sometimes raise an eyebrow or a red flag with some docs. Docs tend to have meds they are comfy with, some wont use mathadone at all and some use it as their preferred med for nerve pain due to some specific properties. It has it's own set of side effects so it's really trial and error with any med. Good luck , Dave
I wonder if wrapping those fingers with lidoderm patches may give you some relief, may be worth a try. Your never going to get to 0 pain or pain free with nerve pain from oral meds.

Last edited by Shoreline; 05-09-2012 at 03:33 PM. Reason: spelling

The Following User Says Thank You to Shoreline For This Useful Post:
Rdbomb94 (05-09-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #13
(female)

Thanks everyone for responding...I think this visit I'm just gonna hand it over to her and let her decide what's our next step. I really do appriciate all the feedback. Christina

Old 05-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

yes that's the thing to do, let your dr decide what she thinks you may do well on. i suffer as well with a lot of nerve damage/pain along with other painful spinal damage and have been on most of the LA opiates-i happen to be on Opana after being change from oxycontin(after oxycontin changed their formula it affected me adversely)the opana gave me some really strange side effects & severe headaches-so after trying it for 3 mos withhardly ANY pain relief-my doctor tried me on the fentynal patch; and it really helps me, in fact it is the only med that has given me some relief from that burning, radiating nerve pain. 8 mos and so far so good-the manufacturer-duragesic;even sent free bio-occlusive covers that keeps them on and dry. good luck; and be patient, if you have confidence in your doctor, she will find what works best for your needs.

Last edited by BB07; 05-09-2012 at 08:28 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to BB07 For This Useful Post:
Rdbomb94 (05-10-2012)
Closed Thread