It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
(female)

ncjg24fan HB User
Question Fentanyl Patch 12mg Side Effects! HELP!!

Hi Yall! My mom suffers from chronic pain and last week she was switched from hydrocodone to 12mg Fentanyl patches. The only side effect she is having is constant headaches. Nothing works to relieve the pain at all. Her dr says it may take 2 weeks to level out. Has anyone else had this issue or how long did it take for your side effects to subside? The great thing is that the patch is helping her pain greatly!! Please, any help and advice is GREATLY appreciated!

Melissa

Last edited by ncjg24fan; 05-07-2012 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Adding

Old 05-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: Fentanyl Patch 12mg Side Effects! HELP!!

Hi Melissa, welcome to the Boards.

Headaches are not necessarily a side effect of Fentanyl. Narcotic meds can sometimes cause rebound headaches, and it sounds like that's whats going on with your mom. Sometimes they stop, sometimes they don't and the person is just not compatible to that particular med. I never had them on Fentanyl, but I've had them on a few other Narcotics and had to stop taking them. Has she tried taking tylenol or advil for the headaches and has it helped? I know that probably sounds silly, since she's on Fentanyl. If the tylenol or advil has helped the headache pain, then they most likely are not rebound headaches and will probably go away as her body adjusts to the Fentanyl. If the advil or tylenol don't help they may be rebound headaches. Fentanyl is a very strong drug and sometimes the body just doesn't react well to it. Is she following instructions for placement and body heat control, those things can also contribute.

Kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
(male)

teach519 HB User
Re: Fentanyl Patch 12mg Side Effects! HELP!!

Hi Melissa,

I <knew someone> on pretty high doses of Hydrocodone who had a similar experience when stopping the hydrocodone and going to fentanyl. They went away after about 2 weeks. It was, in my opinion at the time, a mild withdrawal experience. Hopefully your mother experiences a similarly quick improvement.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-12-2012 at 09:30 AM.

Closed Thread