It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #1
(female)

rumorwild HB Userrumorwild HB User
Hope someone can give me some advice

Hi, I was going to a pm doc for about eight years. I've got chronic neck problems. I've had injections, therapy, and of course medications. They said the only thing left that they can do, with the shape that my neck is in, is surgery. The injections didn't help at all and with all going on with my neck that's the only thing left I can do. I couldn't decide whether to have the surgery or not and between the pain and the headaches, I decided to have it done. That was when they informed me that they no longer took medicade (there was a lot of changes going on) so they dropped me flat. I was so upset cause now I would have to find a brand new doctor. It wasn't easy but I finally found a good one. I told the receptionist that I needed to get an appointment asap before I ran out of my meds. She said "oh the doctor doesn't take over your meds from another doctor".
I have a very good record with my previous doctor. Never abused my meds, never had a ua come back bad and did everything the doctors wanted me to do. I've only had one increase in dosage in all the years I've been going to him, even though they have offered me stronger meds. I now take lortab 10/500 5 daily, lyrica 150 2 daily, and fiorinal 3 daily for headaches. Now I'm worried when I go to this doctor that he will stop my pain medication. I don't know if I should try to just wean myself off the pills and just deal with it. I have so much pain and it just makes me sick just thinking about not having my meds to take. Why would this receptionist say this? I know for a fact he does give pain meds. I'm just so worried about this. Anyone have any advice? I would appreciate it. I haven't actually gotten my app. yet, they have to get the referral from my pcp which will probably me tomorrow and then they will call me. I'm making myself feel worse by all the stressing I'm doing over this. Thanks for any help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: Hope someone can give me some advice

Hi, welcome to the Boards. Don't panic yet. Some pain docs when they take on a new patient do not automatically assume scripting the meds that the patients old doc had them on. The new Dr. will do a very complete exam, look at your records, talk to you about whats worked and whats not worked and decide what to prescribe for you at that point.

I don't think the receptionist meant he didn't do pain meds, he just doesn't automatically give you what your old doc said.

Not all pain docs agree on treatment. Before you wean yourself down and take yourself off the meds, go to the appointment and find out what he thinks you should do. It can't hurt anything, right? If he agrees that you'll need surgery soon as the next step, you'll have to wean down on the meds anyway, otherwise post op pain control will be a nightmare.

You've actually done really well, your not on a very high dose of narcotics and your using other meds in conjunction with them. You probably would have done better with a Long Acting med sometime ago, instead of just increasing the Lortab, your new Dr. may want to try something like that before surgery. Give him the benefit of the doubt, go to the appt. and see what he says.

Kat

The Following User Says Thank You to katlin09 For This Useful Post:
rumorwild (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 05:20 AM   #3
(female)

rumorwild HB Userrumorwild HB User
Re: Hope someone can give me some advice

Thanks Kat,
I appreciate you easing my mind a little and helping me to understand this a little better. I don't mind the doc trying me on something different if he thinks it will work better, I just don't want him to take me off of what I've been taking for so many years. I've got a fear of going through withdrawls. One time I accidently dropped my last days pills down the sink and I had to go through the beginning of withdrawls before I could get them filled....I don't want to go through that again. I didn't tell my doctor what I did cause I didn't want him to think I was trying to get an early refill. I know doctors frown on that. I've got a good record and I want to keep it that way! Thanks again for your advice

Closed Thread