It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
(female)

stellaz HB User
new to AZ- can you recommend a pain mgmt doc?

moved to the phoenix area several months ago- just made an appt with a "pain management doctor" who seems a little shady. im hesitant to go to this appt, but don't know anyone here that can recommend a good, legitimate doctor. i have my med records, xrays, etc. have degenerative disc disease, fractures, etc. also, have no medical coverage yet, so i will be paying out of pocket for now. was taking norco 10, soma 350 for years(prescribed by my ortho, and somewhat relieved my pain), i haven't taken meds since i got here, but would just like to find a dr to prescribe something similar(as well as phys.therapy if its reasonably priced) until i can afford other treatments.
any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
Re: new to AZ- can you recommend a pain mgmt doc?

Hi Stellaz, One thing you could try is contacting medtronics and asking who in your area is certified to manage intrathecal pumps and spinal cord stims, although you aren't looking for a doc to implant a pump or stim it should lead you to a very qualified PM doc or group of PM docs.
Good luck, Dave

The Following User Says Thank You to Shoreline For This Useful Post:
stellaz (05-10-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Stellaz,

What do you mean by "a little shady"? Did you ask your former doc for a recommendation? Or did you try contacting the Arizona Medical Board for Pain Management Docs in your area?

Kat

Old 05-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
(female)

stellaz HB User

Thank you for the reply, Kat. Yes, I should have asked my former doc for a referral. I helped my parents retire nearby, and had only planned on helping them settle in- not staying! I decided to stop taking the meds at that point and see how I felt. Obviously,6 months later that isn't working out so well, as I have stayed here and started a new job. I am absolutely miserable! I can't think straight by the end of the day, I am in so much pain! My former doc had previously told me to go to any doctor or even urgent care here to have a 1 month scrip written until I could get back to him, since I hadn't seen him in 6 mos.
As for "shady"- their website actually advertised that they mainly prescribe narcotics, don't take insurance- only cash, check, or cc, they don't list their doctors by name- although i now have it, and they practically describe exactly what symptoms you need to have to be medicated! As someone with legitimate issues, I don't want to risk getting in trouble by seeing this doctor out of desperation.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:42 AM   #5
(female)

stellaz HB User

My former doc is in n. nevada- where i moved from.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #6
(female)

6kidz HB User

I see Dr Turley. I think he is good and caring. He is located in northern Phoenix. He is with The Pain Center of Arizona. I also saw dr hogan at AZ Pain. It he didnt seem knowledgeable enough about my issue (RsD). I also heard great things about Dr Pico at AZ Pain from a wonderful dr in Utah (I went to him because he was very knowlEdgable of RSD). Good luck and welcome to the valley.
J

Old 05-11-2012, 06:18 AM   #7
(female)

stellaz HB User

Thank you J- One of my coworkers just recommended Dr.Turley yesterday, he treats both her husband and son. I will see how soon I can get an appt.

Closed Thread

Tags
arizona, pain doctors, pain management