It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2012, 01:51 AM   #1
(female)

theweaver2 HB User
Methadone 10mg x 3 versus Dilaudid 2mg x 2 and Exalgo 16mg x 2

I'd pain for right shoulder for 2005, 2 surgery 2003 or 2005. The 10mg x 2 from day.

I'm 2007 for stroke (Aphasia). The atrial fib for one year. I can arrythmias for heart for 19 age...

I'm 2007 for 10mg x 3 from day. The July 2011 for highest pain (an story for 50,000iu D2 for 1 day x 6 weeks for body pain..) and 2012 January for trigger for shoulder (scapular). The February for right abdominals for highest gastric. Severe pain for 10mg x 3, from 8-10#.

April for nerve block (gastic) for abdominals for low pain 4#. I'm for May for trigger shoulder for nerve block. I'm one week for highest for 9-10# and right abdominal for 10#. I'm doctor for high pain for 6-8 months for die. His for 40mg are day...

Husband reading for normal for pain severe for 60-80mg for day. I can two day for 50-60mg for med pain - 7#. The for med pain for 40-50mg for highest for 60mg...

Doc are medicine for dilaudid 2mg x 2 and Exalgo 16mg x 1. I can week for symptoms (sluggish, migraine and central nervous for head-feet for sun burn.) The one week for dilauid 2mg for high. I can 2 shot (Torolac??) for migraine!

Doctor for town. Another doctor for Methadone the 10mg x 3 for week. I'm methadone for walking and NOT migraine..

Methadone 10mg x 4-6 for day, from vicodin 500 x 2. VERSUS The dilaudid 2mg x 5-6 time for high and Exalgo 16mg x 1?

****Night methadone for 15mg for 8:30pm for 7-8#. The weekend for 8-9# for 40mg...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User
Re: Methadone 10mg x 3 versus Dilaudid 2mg x 2 and Exalgo 16mg x 2

hi-

not sure what you are asking-what is it you are questioning-your medications? your doses? are you concerned about both? is there a problem with prescribing doctor?

i do understand your difficulty communicating via your post.

can you indicate which of my questions is your concern or do i misunderstand?

Old 05-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
(female)

theweaver2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB07 View Post
hi-

not sure what you are asking-what is it you are questioning-your medications? your doses? are you concerned about both? is there a problem with prescribing doctor?

i do understand your difficulty communicating via your post.

can you indicate which of my questions is your concern or do i misunderstand?
BB,

I was reply for you... I are grammar for Aphasia...

The methadone for 2007 for 10mg x 3. Doc for quitting for methadone, he for 5-11-12 dilaudid and exalgo for me. Hubby for calling for 5-25-12 for doc for 10# for symptoms. Doc stopping for dilaudid and exalago, for an 10mg x 3 for methadone and Vicodin.

I reading for dilaudid 2mg VS methadone 10mg?

Old 05-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB UserBB07 HB User

hi-

ok i think i understand but please correct me if i am wrong. so- your doc wants you to use vicodin instead of dilaudid? if your pain is not being reasonably controlled by the exalgo, since it is your base line long acting narcotic-there may be the problem lies, epening on how bad your pain is, exalgo may not be a fit for severe chronic pain, because it has a low bioavailability, so does the dilaudid when this type of drug is taken orally. but methdone can give you some good relief, much better than the exalgo, if you can tolerate it. the hyrocodone(vicodin) will help better than the dilaudid because it's bioavailability is better, evan though dilaudid is a much stronger drug for pain, but only when administered iv or im-in the hospital. methadone a has a very long half life and it's really cheap, and works very well on chronic pain.

alot of people who are financially challenged, i.e no insurance, this drug can be a life saver.

i hope this helps. was any of this something you were concerned with?

Old 05-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

Sorry I can't understand either post. Do you have someone at home who might be able to edit it for you? I think it might be asking about the effectiveness/conversion between the two meds/doses? I can tell you that Methadone conversion (either way) is very difficult because each patient responds differently and the doctors are often even more cautious with it than others as far as overdose.

If you have any concerns about your dose not being effective I would make an appointment to see your doctor. The conversion rates vary so much for Methadone, but the chart I consulted said 30mg/day Methadone with 50% cross-tolerance reduction is equivalent to 14mg/day Dilaudid. With 25% cross-tolerance reduction it would be 21mg/day Dilaudid.

If the 20mg/day Dilaudid & Exalgo isn't bringing you relief, that isn't too unexpected as everyone has a different reaction to med conversions. They usually go well on the conservative side on the switch as they don't want to risk you tending on the side of overdose, knowing it can be raised the next appointment. Best wishes.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

the methadone la and vicodin for bt will give you better relief than the exalgo/dilaudid
statistically-i think that's where your doc is going?

the methadone has to be slowly titrated due to the long half life, so be patient
report any adverse reactions immediately-i am quite sure your doc will make this clear.

good luck

Old 05-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #7
(female)

theweaver2 HB User

Thanks BB and torguisegirl.

I'm for 2007 for 30mg x 3 methadone. The medium for 5# pain. The July 2011 for high pain for right thoracic shoulder. The february 2012 for 8-10#. I'm doc for high methadone. He for trigger... The April for trigger for more highest shot!

He for certain for medication for higher pain. He 2mg x 2 dilaudid and exalgo 16mg. He 7 days for 4mg x 2 dilaudid and 2 x exalgo 16 mg

The 7 days for 10# for symptoms (foggy, everyday for migraine and 8 days for 'hot sunburn for face for feet' - stroke for right for tingle). Hubby for doc for methadone. He vacation for weeks.

The methadone reading for 60-80mg for severe for day? I'm 30mg methadone. He low pain for person. Hahaha. I'm dead for 9-10# for 30mg. Hubby for talk for he for highest methadone.

The 3 days for 40-50mg for 7-8#. I'm four hour for 10mg. I can 15 mg for 6 hour. I can 7-8#, for errands for 9#. I'm for 50mg for an PT for low for 40mg.

BB and TG for Dilaudid 2mg for comparison for methadone 10mg?

Your for nicest for me for an aphasia for sentence.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

So, in 2011 your pain level went to 8 - 10 for right thoracic shoulder pain and your Dr. was for trigger point injections as opposed to higher mgs of Methadone.

He then switched you to Exalgo 16mgs with Dilauded 2mgs twice a day for 7 days, then upped it to Exalgo 16mgs twice a day with Dilaudid 4mgs twice a day. You had high symptoms though of fogginess, migraines everyday and heat/flushing of your face and feet with tingling sensations. Your husband called the Dr. but he was on vacation for weeks.

You've read that Methadone can go as high as 60 - 80mgs a day but your Dr. is only giving you 30mgs, because he likes to keep the pain meds low dose. On only 30mgs, your pain level stays at 8 - 10, so your husband wants the Dr. to up the meds to a higher dose.

Methadone 40 - 50mgs gives you a pain level of 7 - 8; and that's taking 10mgs every 4 hrs. for Breakthru pain.

At this point you seem to be using Exalgo, Dilaudid and Methadone....or I'm confused, (which very well could be). Can you type a very short response without backup data and just list the medications you want to be on.

Exalgo/Vicodin would be a good combination, it's just a matter of you and your Dr. agreeing on the Exalgo dose that works for you. Everyone has their preferences and what works well for them. Your stroke was on the Right Side, correct? Strokes can damage the nerves that carry sensory information from the body to the brain, altering the patient's sense of pain, which I'm sure you know. This may also effect how pain meds work for you.

Kat

Old 05-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
(female)

theweaver2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlin09 View Post
So, in 2011 your pain level went to 8 - 10 for right thoracic shoulder pain and your Dr. was for trigger point injections as opposed to higher mgs of Methadone.

He then switched you to Exalgo 16mgs with Dilauded 2mgs twice a day for 7 days, then upped it to Exalgo 16mgs twice a day with Dilaudid 4mgs twice a day. You had high symptoms though of fogginess, migraines everyday and heat/flushing of your face and feet with tingling sensations. Your husband called the Dr. but he was on vacation for weeks.

You've read that Methadone can go as high as 60 - 80mgs a day but your Dr. is only giving you 30mgs, because he likes to keep the pain meds low dose. On only 30mgs, your pain level stays at 8 - 10, so your husband wants the Dr. to up the meds to a higher dose.

Methadone 40 - 50mgs gives you a pain level of 7 - 8; and that's taking 10mgs every 4 hrs. for Breakthru pain.

At this point you seem to be using Exalgo, Dilaudid and Methadone....or I'm confused, (which very well could be). Can you type a very short response without backup data and just list the medications you want to be on.

Exalgo/Vicodin would be a good combination, it's just a matter of you and your Dr. agreeing on the Exalgo dose that works for you. Everyone has their preferences and what works well for them. Your stroke was on the Right Side, correct? Strokes can damage the nerves that carry sensory information from the body to the brain, altering the patient's sense of pain, which I'm sure you know. This may also effect how pain meds work for you.

Kat
Thank you

I'm 3 days for 40-50mg methadone for 2 x 500 vicodin. The 4-6 hours for 7-8.

Hubby and I can Fridays for doc for 50mg. Hubby for 60mg for 10#. I'm 2002 for shoulders for dozens for PT. I'm exercise for "mild". The July 2011 for PT for raise for shoulder for 10#...

Im appointment for doc for Friday. I'm Friday for guys for 50-60mg for low.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by theweaver2 View Post
Thank you

I'm 3 days for 40-50mg methadone for 2 x 500 vicodin. The 4-6 hours for 7-8.

Hubby and I can Fridays for doc for 50mg. Hubby for 60mg for 10#. I'm 2002 for shoulders for dozens for PT. I'm exercise for "mild". The July 2011 for PT for raise for shoulder for 10#...

Im appointment for doc for Friday. I'm Friday for guys for 50-60mg for low.
Okay so for the past 3 days you've been on Methadone 40 - 50mgs and 2 Vicodin 500mgs for BT pain, your dosing at 4-6 hr. intervals and that's getting you to a 7-8 pain level.

You've done lots of PT over the years, and still do mild excercise, which is good. But raising your shoulder shoots the pain up to a 10, which is not so good.

You have an appt. to see the Dr. on Friday and am going to ask him to raise the Methadone to 50 -60 mgs to get your pain level lower.

That sounds like a very reasonable request. Your trying the dosages for a while and that's generally what the Dr.'s want....you've been dealing with this pain long enough, you can probably tell pretty quick whats working. Hopefully your Dr. will be reasonable and give you this next dose increase. Your on a pretty low dose breakthru med also, you seem to be doing everything correctly on your part.

Heat on your shoulder might also help to loosen it up some, if you're not already using it.

Kat

Last edited by katlin09; 05-28-2012 at 08:59 PM. Reason: corrected error

Old 05-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #11
(female)

theweaver2 HB User

Guys,

I'm for 5 days for 45mg methadone for 7-9#. The medium for 7-8#, for 9# for errands for pain. I'm for 2011 January for 5-6# for today's for friend, shopping, errands, driving and family visit. I'm inside for January 2012 pain for 8-10#.

I'm Managment pain for person.

I'm go friday for doc pain management shoulder from NSAID for low pain?

Im cardio for the AF 2007 for stroke. I'm warfarin certain not anti-inflammory. I'm Celebrex for 2007 for stroke for 2 years. That symptoms for dizzying.

Medications:
gabapentin 100mg x 6 / warfarin 6mg x 1 / nexium 20mg x
Methadone 10mg x 4 (45mg) / Flexeril 5mg x 3 as needed
Migraine for as needed (botox for 4 months)
1-3/month shot 6mg-2ml / Celebrex 100mg for 5-6 days-month for prodrome / 25mg Pheregran / Vicodin 500mg x 2

Guys, I'm complex for paragraphs for members... :^{. "Lonely" for talking for people. I sharp for clear mind, hubby for forgetting for today lol No person for loud voice for me (lol) and doc see for talk for hubby and daughter, for corner for lonely.

I'm Friday for doc for 40-50mg and NSAID.

I asking for members, for Valium or Xanax? Im visit for doc/hospital for pain 10#, they for shot for low pain?

Thank you

Last edited by hb-mod; 05-30-2012 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:50 PM   #12
(female)

ncmommakat HB Userncmommakat HB Userncmommakat HB User

I am trying to follow you but i am confused about ------7-9#. The medium for 7-8#, for 9#------- Are these your pain levels ?
vicodin is not 500 mg .. that is the Tylenol level. The hydrocodone s/b 5 7.5 or 10

Old 05-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Hi,

So for 5 days now you've been on Methadone and your pain 7 - 9; generally a 7-8, when running errands it shoots up to a 9. For comparison in Jan. of 2011 it was a 5-6 when you ran errands, visited friends, shopped, drove, visited family, etc. Today just hanging inside the house your at an 8-10.

You see a Pain Management Dr. for treatment. When you see the Dr. on Friday you're going to ask about adding an NSAID to help lower the pain.

Your on Warfarin for post stroke therapy, it's not an anti-inflammatory, it's an anti-coagulant. I also do cardio for post stroke therapy. I used Celebrex for 2 years after the Stroke in 2007 it made me dizzy.

My Medications are: Gabapentin 100mg x 6, Warfarin 6mg x 1, Nexium 20mg x
Methadone 10mg x 4 (45mg), Flexeril 5mg x 3 PRN, Botox 2ml injection 1-3/month PRN for Migraines, Phenergran 25mg, Vicodin 500mg x 2

I have a sharp mind, but I'm lonely (depressed) and don't talk to people much. It's hard to communicate on the Boards, because the Apashia makes the grammar so complex. Hubby is the forgetful one today! LOL I don't yell and Dr. knows this because he sees how I talk to hubby and daughter.

So Friday I'm going to ask the Dr. to increase the Methadone and add an NSAID. I'd like your opinion on adding Valium or Xanax for the loneliness (depression).

Having a little trouble with this last sentence Weaver.... Either you visited the hospital and they gave you a shot to lower the pain when it was at a 10, or if you visit the Dr. shouldn't they strive to lower your pain now that it's gotten so high?

Once again, I think you've given the Methadone dose plenty of time to work, and if it's not giving you a lower pain level than an 7-9 an increase may be warranted. Your pain definitely seemed lower when you were on the Celebrex a couple of years ago, so why not try it again. Your Dr. has you on a good combo of every other type of pain med; narcotic, nerve med, muscle relaxer...

As for the loneliness/Depression...not so sure about valium, there are plenty of good anti-depressants out there and really not sure that Xanax is warranted it's more for anxiety and has some pretty strong side effects.

Hopefully your Dr. will listen to you on this and get you what you need to get the pain a little better controlled. That high constant pain alone is enough to make someone down.

Have you looked around the internet for an Ap, that might help with the typing/grammer problems, some kind of translation or voice to type program? There is also a really good Stroke Board on this site. I know it's not face to face contact with people, but they're a pretty supportive bunch over there.

Kat

Last edited by Administrator; 05-30-2012 at 07:59 PM.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:44 PM   #14
(female)

theweaver2 HB User

Kat,

You are reply for me. : )

I'm family (hubby and daughter) for an teacher for "written for Aphasia"... (The one year for teacher for "talk"... I'm brain for hidden for voice talk.. lol)

The many times for family for a teacher. I'm lanquage sign book for family... the listen for half hour, I can't for book case for dust.. We are busy... I'm Hubby and daughter we the calling for teacher/counsel... The 2 years....

The pain for 2002 and Stroke for 2007. Not Valium or Xanax for an high pain. I hospital and doctor for "valium" for high pain. Anxiety for me for high 9-10#, for low 8-9#...

Anxiety for 6-8 for shakey hands, missing beat heart and breating... Cadio for monitoring for AF. He not for AF, missing for beat heart. He was Inderal. Inderal for an Anxiety. I can quiet for Anxiety for Inderal.

An medication for body. lol Warfarin for thinning blood for stroke. Cardio for AF for an stroke. I'm summer 2007 for an active, or heart missing for night for sleep and pee for 1/2 hour lol. I'm cardio for AF for surgery. The one week for an stroke... lol

I'm family for visit.. you thank you are post !

Barb

Last edited by Administrator; 06-29-2012 at 08:48 PM.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:04 PM   #15
(female)

theweaver2 HB User

guys,

I'm reading for me an post for confused... I'm confused are guys for me an sentence.. I not writting for post. I sad for me AND people for complex for me sentence.

I'm Friday for doc for methadone for pain for 40-45mg methadone.

Barb

Reply Reply