It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2012, 05:18 AM   #1
(male)

Daffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB User
Post Foreign Travel with Narcotics

Soon we are taking a 12 day trip US to Canada (Banff & Jasper). It will be my first time thru Customs with narcotic pain meds. Here is what I am planning. What am I forgetting?
  • Notified my PM
  • Taking twice what I need for 12 days
  • In 2 sets of separate currently labelled pharmacy's Rx bottles
  • Wife taking one in her carry-on
  • Other in my carry-on medical duffle with my traction unit and tens. It is in a small Rx combination travel safe
At Customs should I immediately declare that I am carrying them or wait and let them ask or find them?

On domestic trips I have always just let TSA find them. They have always just quickly glanced at the labels and put them back without ever asking a question.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:40 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Whoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB User
Re: Foreign Travel with Narcotics

Pesonally, I've done a fair amount of travel in the past 5 years and I would "always" put the script bottle of oxycontins I used to take in my front pants pocket. I've never been asked what it was. Also, if I was going on a 8-day cruise, I'd usually take about 10-days worth of meds and leave the rest at home. I personally don't even want to get into the questions, what are you taking them for? How many do you have? I need to take these and now "you" prove to us you are supposed to have them! Who needs any of that and yes, I'm exagerating a bit but some of these foreign countries are strange birds, IMO.

The Following User Says Thank You to Whoopee For This Useful Post:
Daffydolphin (05-30-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User

A double dose of meds might be a bit much, but that's your choice. I've always carried them in my purse when going into Canada and never had any trouble at customs. Not sure it's a great idea to have your wife carrying any, but once again that's your choice. You might just be inviting more questions and speculation than you need. I've found that the more attention you pay to the meds and make a big deal out of it, the more attention customs pay to them.

I don't think there's a need to "declare" them, if they want to know about them, they'll ask you.

Kat

The Following User Says Thank You to katlin09 For This Useful Post:
Daffydolphin (05-30-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 07:17 AM   #4
(male)

Daffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB UserDaffydolphin HB User
Why twice?

In prior years on domestic travel I have had meds stolen from hotel rooms, fortunately not Rx pain meds, it was before then. Once they took just my BP & cholesterol meds, other time everything, NSAIDs, vitamins, etc and Rx, incl flexeril. Since then I've just always carried two full sets of all Rx meds, one hidden or locked in a separate location. Rx's stolen were fortunately always replaceable, it's just the time lost doing it. Though one time the pharmacy I went to did not contact my home pharmacy or Dr. They just sold me enough of the Rx meds I said I needed to get me through the remainder of the trip, they were all non controlled substances.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:57 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User
Re: Why twice?

Just a thought...many hotels have rooms with safes now days...you can request that from the hotel your staying at, see if it's a service they offer. I've found it useful myself.

I don't ever leave meds in a hotel room...never trust staff or housekeeping.

Kat

Old 05-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
(male)

It's nice that most have safes...

Unfortunately, only the airport motel has them this trip. Not the 3 rustic lodges/ cabins we will be at. 2 have safes it their office that guests can use...not.

One med I always travel with, just in case, is Imodium, back in the 90's when it was Rx, I found when I got home, that sometime during the trip someone had emptied it and refilled it with my baby aspirin. On another trip we had a small laxative pill in an unmarked bottle, got home and found that bottle also just contained baby aspirin. Hope those people enjoyed their drugs.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB User
Re: It's nice that most have safes...

LOL, here, let me store your yummy narcotics in my office....umm, I don't think so!

Good lord, why would people want immodium....there are some real idiots in this world aren't there?

Kat

Old 05-30-2012, 09:33 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

I've always seen articles recommending you have a doctor's note in addition to your prescription bottles for foreign travel. I also take at least double the meds (half in each of two original bottles), one in my purse and one in my roller carry on (or hubby's backpack if I don't have two carry ons). I put all my other non-narcotic meds in the bigger carry on. If my purse got stolen I'd be SOL (no replacement rx). Once we at our destination I keep one set on me and usually hide the second set (I have more meds than would fit in a hotel safe).

Not all folks will have that many of their pills left at the time of their trip though. The most trouble I've had on all of my trips is in Mexico, where I had a big ziploc full of all the bottles (12?) and they checked my name was on them. The biggest thing is to have them in the original pharmacy bottle though (no tiny ziploc for the day or day of the week plastic case). Quantity shouldn't be a problem as long as there are not more pills in a bottle then the pharmacy gave you. I would also never say anything. If asked, give a short honest answer. Best wishes.

Closed Thread