It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
(male)

Jasonjph HB User
herniated L5... need more help with pain please

I have a herniated L5 that did not respond to two epidural injections. The DR wants to do microdiscectomy. Thats fine but it will be three months before I can have the surgery. I'm on hydrocodone 10 but they no longer work. The doc seems to believe they should be working. Any suggestions regarding something I could request that is stronger and would do a better Job of taking the edge off the It is truly unbearable at times.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2012, 02:17 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: herniated L5... need more help with pain please

The next step up would be oxycodone either in pure form or as Percocet which is oxycodone & apap. But...Dr.'s generally don't react well to requests for specific pain meds and you stated yourself that he's got you on the hydro's because he thinks they should be working.

So, don't be surprised if you request something specific and he gets irritated about it.

Kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
Re: herniated L5... need more help with pain please

Hi Jason, Is it ack pain or leg pain that's bothering you the most. Leg pain simply doesn't repond well to opiates particlularly when a disc is pressing on a nerve. There are some meds for nerve pain the doc can use but I agree with Kat. Asking for specific meds could raise an eyebrow. I"ve been given percocet for every surgery as a post op med i have ever had. Whether it was my wisdom teeth at 16 or the last of 3 fusions which was 6 levels. Percocet is what most docs use for post op pain in the first couple weeks after you have been released and then tend to switch you on down whether you think you can stand it or not. Pain meds are just supposed to take the edge off. hoping for moe when you know you have an issue they can hopefully resolve with surgery may not be realistic. You would be surprised by how much pain the human mind/body can tolerate. If you just explain your not getting the relief you initially got, their are adjunct meds and newer synthetic meds like Nucynta that are suppposed to be comparable to percocet without the fear of abuse and jacking your tolerance so high they wont be able to manage your pain post op.
Good luck, Dave

Closed Thread