It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
(female)

fflinstone HB User
Ameritox ua in 2011 billed in 2012

I had a ua taken for PM Dr. AMERITOX took the sample in the beginning of 2011.

I just got the bill for 700.00 and 15 days to pay!

My problems are, what took so long to run the test, why am I getting such little time to pay AND, I would think, that with this large of a bill with this late of a time frame I would at the very least get my results.

How do I get the results?

Am I obligated to pay for a test with urine a year old?

Confused....and I am on SSDI making a very large amount of 1100.00 a month. How am I suppose to live this month?

I have seen posts regarding the billing issues with this company. So please refrain from the accuarcy speach, to me, these people are affiliated with the company to defend such a price...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User
Re: Ameritox ua in 2011 billed in 2012

Welcome to the group! Sorry you are having to deal with this. I would call your doctor about this and ask what their provision is for financial hardship. I have heard of some doctors working something out with the lab such that the patient doesn't pay as they can't afford it. At the very least you should be able to get some sort of discount. I've heard of medical billing taking a long time, but this is quite unusual.

My guess is that this got lost in the shuffle, or there has already been some activity such as your insurance denying it and doing appeals (but then you should have got something previously). I would guess that you could request your results from either your doctor or this lab, but you would have heard by now if there was a problem. I don't think its that they just ran this test, but that somehow the billing was delayed. I'd make some calls and try to at the very least get more information. Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Does it show the date of the actual test? When I get my bill...there are the test dates...and then the billing dates.

Do you have Medicaid or Medicare as part of your Disability?

It's very possible that it has been submitted and resubmitted quite a few times and then has finally bounced back to have the patient pay.

So..I would look at the dates, and then contact your Dr. and/or Medicaid/Medicare to see if it was supposed to be covered...

And then yes...if it was always supposed to be paid by you, then as mentioned, talk to the Dr. about having them maybe help you work with the lab on payments or even writing it off..

Keep us posted..

Old 06-19-2012, 08:37 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Is there a possibility that they've billed you before and the bill got misplaced? The cost of the bill is accurate these UA test are very expensive and do not vary depend on people's living expenses unfortunately.

Patients do not generally get the results of UA's, the results are sent to your Dr. If you want the results you have to get them from your Dr.

Yes, unfortunately you are obligated to pay the bill. It was for a test that was performed on you at your Dr.'s request, so you are obligated to pay the bill.

According to your post, "Am I obligated to pay for a test with urine a year old? you may be confused regarding the age of the test. Please understand the urine test itself is not a year old, it's just the billing that has been delayed. This may be due to the fact that your Dr. tried to work down the cost of the test on your behalf.

Kat

Old 06-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
(female)

fflinstone HB User

Thank you all for the information.

1 - No insurance was billed due to the fact it's work comp, and the work comp Dr is not on the ins MPN list (thats another nightmare...I won't dealve into deeply. Simply, I can't find a Dr. to take me due to my case being so old, I am paying cash to the Dr. who saved my life..)

2 - the dates on the bill for the test are from 2011 and then just codes...

I am not concerned I did not pass the test, my feelings were actually hurt that I was tested, for pot, meth, etc.

3 - The bill is just too much. My husband is a disabled vet, I have medical and champ va, but due to it being a work comp injury, they won't pay. I have to get a medicare set aside account. Which, another horror story, my attorney is doing nothing to help me, I call once a week. I know I can fire him, but was advised not to, as no other attorney will take a case this old...

It's frusterating. I thought when I finally got help from the above ins. I was free from work comp. No chance, no help, and I am stuck paying cash and my credit card is about to be maxed...

This should probably be in a nother topic...

I need another surgery, I am suppose to get shots, therapy, etc. I get NOTHING. Because in the middle of my recovery from my last cervical fusion (which failed, the cadavor bone is fractured, the disc below is slipping..) work comp took my surgeon away as well as my treating dr. Basically they are sticking it to me good.

Thanks again, I know there is not much I can do, my hands are tied I am at the mercy of an attorney and I am also the caregiver for my disabled veteran spouse.

Thanks for letting me vent....

Old 06-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflinstone View Post
Thank you all for the information.

1 - No insurance was billed due to the fact it's work comp, and the work comp Dr is not on the ins MPN list (thats another nightmare...I won't dealve into deeply. Simply, I can't find a Dr. to take me due to my case being so old, I am paying cash to the Dr. who saved my life..)

In every state there is a Statute of Limitations for which a Workman's Comp case may be filed. Usually it's between 1 and 2 years of the date of the accident. If it's past that...

2 - the dates on the bill for the test are from 2011 and then just codes...

I am not concerned I did not pass the test, my feelings were actually hurt that I was tested, for pot, meth, etc.

Probably going to have to get a tougher skin, anytime Chronic Pain is involved and pain meds are taken regularly, your going to be tested frequently for both legal and illegal drug use. We all are, it's nothing personal.

3 - The bill is just too much. My husband is a disabled vet, I have medical and champ va, but due to it being a work comp injury, they won't pay. I have to get a medicare set aside account. Which, another horror story, my attorney is doing nothing to help me, I call once a week. I know I can fire him, but was advised not to, as no other attorney will take a case this old...

It's frusterating. I thought when I finally got help from the above ins. I was free from work comp. No chance, no help, and I am stuck paying cash and my credit card is about to be maxed...

These test fees are not personal, I can assure you, we all get chaged them, and $700 is cheap, they can run anywhere from $1200 to $2500.00

This should probably be in a nother topic...

I need another surgery, I am suppose to get shots, therapy, etc. I get NOTHING. Because in the middle of my recovery from my last cervical fusion (which failed, the cadavor bone is fractured, the disc below is slipping..) work comp took my surgeon away as well as my treating dr. Basically they are sticking it to me good.

Thanks again, I know there is not much I can do, my hands are tied I am at the mercy of an attorney and I am also the caregiver for my disabled veteran spouse.

Thanks for letting me vent....
As I stated before if it's past the Statute of Limitations the point may be moot. If the attorney has not filed suit in the case, the case most likely it not legally allowed to continue. You need to discuss this with your attorney and decide what your going to do at this point.

I hope you find a solution soon.

Kat

Old 06-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Unfortunately, if you don't have an active and open WC case where all bills are being routed through to be paid, the lab is expecting to be paid by you directly and if you don't...it will go to collections and affect your credit.

So, at this point, I would still try to work with the Dr. who ordered this test and see if they will help or the next step is talking to the lab themselves to work out a payment plan. Showing you are willing to pay something per month may keep it out of collections.

And these tests are not "personal" in that they are becoming more routine for anyone who is prescribed narcotics. They will always test to make sure you are taking the exact dosage of medication you are prescribed...(Not selling them)...As well as test for any illegal/non prescribed substances in your system.

In my state, they just started last year requiring all patients on narcotics to be randomly tested once a year. (Obviously the Dr. would do more on people he has suspicions).

And as mentioned...you actually have a low price on yours, even though that doesn't help you much...LOL..But yes...the prices Kat mentioned are more the norm.

I'm sorry for all that you are going through...It's very tough to not only be in chronic pain, but to have all the stress with money issues along with it.

I do hope you figure out the situation with WC soon either way....

Old 06-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

Hope the doctor or lab can work with you. I have heard of it being reduced or forgiven depending on financial ability, but of course I don't know what your doctor's policy is. At a minimum you should be able to set up a payment plan or get an extension. Its a bummer this got so delayed and threw you off guard. Some folks unfortunately get tested very often and it can be expensive. Most doctors have you sign papers that say you will pay whatever your insurance doesn't, yet they can't give you an estimate on costs. I'm still waiting to hear how much I'll owe on mine...I did an appeal (they denied the entire balance originally) and just heard that the insurance will cover $350 or so of the $900, but I don't know if I'll owe the full balance of $550 or not. Good luck!

Last edited by tortoisegirl; 06-19-2012 at 09:34 PM.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:14 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi, I have had to work w/ Ameritox several times and I ask for the supervisor and explain my situation that I cannot afford to pay the bill and he writes it off! Have you tried this?

Last edited by noevr; 06-19-2012 at 10:17 PM.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:59 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Guys,

One thing y'all are overlooking is that her claim is a Worker's Comp Claim. If she interfere's in the billing or makes any special payment plans it can have an affect on her Workers Comp Claim and possible her settlement.

You shouldn't make any arrangements with anyone besides your Workers Comp Caseworker or Attorney for payment of bills.

Kat

Old 06-20-2012, 07:56 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Kat...I'm not sure if my posts were clear enough on that....

Absolutely agree....They need to figure out the WC situation and then proceed from there.

Closed Thread