It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2012, 01:17 AM   #1
(female)

Kerrysqueaky HB User
Update and medication question

Everyone has been so supportive and helpful here I wanted to give y'all an update on my situation and ask about the difference between norco 10s and percucet 7.5s. My Dr also mentioned the gapa could help with the tingling and arm pain as well so if anyone has taken it for something other than a head thing with success, I would love to hear about that.

So it seems as if my steroid shots have stopped working but they did help with the arm pain (I got two) for about 7 months. My rfa that went wrong is now wearing off but of course still left me with the trigger points. I was getting to the point where my norco 10s would wear off after an hour just for the neck and shoulder pain. I have come to just accept the trigger point issues as they are kind of secondary to my other pain at this point. But I do take muscle relaxers at night that continue to help that.

So luckily when I went to see my now new and permanent Dr he was very kind in listening to what was going on. He did all his usual tests and is scheduling me for my last and third steroid shot for the year to treat the neck and arm pain. then he said that although I had a bad experience with the rfa, he does what to redo that in a few months as well. And I said "as long as it's you doing it, then I will trust in the procedure"

So then we start discussing medications and I told him how the norco stops working after about an hour and how this dose has worked for me for a year so either my tolerance has gotten higher, my pain is getting worse or a combination of both.

Sometimes reading stories on here as y'all know, makes me a little paranoid so he asked me if I was taking the gapa. And I was honest with him and said because of the possible emotional side effects and because my actual head pain (not the headaches, the been scalped feeling) was calming down, I had not. I am very sensitive to anything that might effect my mood. I got on a birth control pill once that took all the beauty of the world from my perception and I NEVER want to feel that way again. He said "no problem. I understand. Will you think about trying them?" and I said "yes but how long will it take for me to feel the side effects if I get them?" and he said within the first few days. So he switched me to percucet 7.5s and although I read they are not THAT different in dosage,I have to say they keep the pain at bay for a lot longer and don't upset my stomach. It was very nice of him to only accept the pills I had on hand, instead of making me go home to get the rest(I flushed them when I got home) as the valid "throwing away" of the pills. I keep them separate now thanks to Sandys (I think) post.

So, If they are similar is it possible they make that big of a difference? I felt so relieved I didn't have to count the hours until I could take my next one safely due to my pain! I will try the gapa as he suggested and I just wanted to share what a world of difference it makes when you have an open Dr who listens and isn't questioning your pain while still trying to keep you on the safest regiment of medication.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User
Re: Update and medication question

The difference between Norco 10 and Percocet 7.5 is 2.5mg of Oxycodone, the main active ingredient, plus the Percocet typically has more Tylenol than the Norco (check what the second number is after the 10 or 7.5 on the bottles). So, sounds like he reduced the Oxycodone amount but increased the Tylenol amount.

If they are lasting you longer, that means the Tylenol is helping, the Oxycodone decrease didn't make a difference, and the Oxycodone decrease means less stomach upset for you. You may want to double check your doctor on how much Tylenol a day you may now be taking (not sure the amount per pill and how many a day you are taking). Have they tried you on an NSAID?

By gapa do you mean Gabapentin/Neurontin? If so, its is a good med to try for symptoms such as nerve pain. I'm glad you are going to give it a try. Not everyone gets every side effect. It is best to give it a good try of weeks or months, but if you started having side effects that were intolerable, there isn't anything wrong with stopping it right after starting. Once you have been on it awhile or made any dose increases, you would need to ask if you need to taper off of it though.

It can take some trial and error with meds as well as a good amount of time for meds like that to kick in, so give it a chance. I'd hang in there as long as you can as often side effects do get better over time. There are always more of them to try, such as Lyrica, which would be quite similar. Definitely continue discussing your treatment options with your doctor. I hope he continues to be helpful. Sounds like a good multi pronged approach. Best wishes.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
(female)

Kerrysqueaky HB User

The Tylenol is 325 in them. What is a NSAID? If it's like the naproxen I took, it raised my blood pressure. I was on it about a year and never had high blood pressure before taking it and within two weeks of stopping it, my blood pressure was perfect again. I also am allergic to tramadol if it's something like that. I got heart palpitations from that. Scared the crap out of me! And I never considered allergies because I have never been allergic to anything in my life. So what's the max tylenol? 2000 or 4000? Either way at three a day, I am well below that. So I will try the GABA (and yes that's what I meant just couldn't remember the spelling) tonight and see how it goes for a week and yes I think my regimen is great for now. Hopefully I can drop one of them after the last steroid shot. Thanks for the response and yes I am very pleased with my Dr. His philosophy of how he does the shots is exactly what made sense to me. I mean why do it all back to back if just one or two work? and the percucet is much calmer on my body so I am happy about that as well.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Just FYI but Norco is Hydrocodone and Acetaminophen....and Percocet is Oxycodone and Acetaminophen...

So...they are two completely different medications..On the scale of medications as far as strength goes...Oxycodone is stronger than Hydrocodone. That is why Vicodin/Norco is a Schedule 3 that can have refills and Oxycodone products are a Schedule 2 and need a hard copy for a new prescription.

But...all this said...everyone is different and metabolize medications differently. As well as some people find they do better with Hydrocodone products...

It's good that the Acetaminophen (brand name Tylenol) is 325 in the Percocet as it's less harsh on your stomach as well as liver.

An NSAID is Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drug....Yes...like Naproxen or Advil.....Some people have great trouble with this and stomach issues...

Tramadol is not an NSAID and in it's own category of pain medicine because it acts like an opiate but it's not rated as one. And once again...everyone has different experiences on this medication...I did very well on it for a few years and tapered off easily without a single issue. But others have had terrible experiences...

The Gapapentin (brand name Neurontin) is a nerve pain medication. Like Lyrica and Cymbalta....And these are very effective for nerve pain as an opiate is not meant to target this type of pain. An opiate is just meant to dull the pain overall...make you not notice or care about it as much...lol...So many Drs. will prescribe both an opiate and a nerve pain if warranted..

So...it's really about trial and error between you and your Dr. and what works for you. Trying to guage anything based on how it affects others is a moot point...

Most Drs. will ask that you give a new medication a good month to see if you need to tweak anything or change the dosage...(Obviously barring any emergent reaction to it)...

Old 06-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
(male)

NeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB UserNeckIssueGuy HB User

[QUOTE=tortoisegirl;5005200]The difference between Norco 10 and Percocet 7.5 is 2.5mg of Oxycodone, the main active ingredient, plus the Percocet typically has more Tylenol than the Norco (check what the second number is after the 10 or 7.5 on the bottles). So, sounds like he reduced the Oxycodone amount but increased the Tylenol amount.

Actually the Narco is Hydrocodone and the oxycodone is 1.5-2 times stronger than Hydro not to sound rude or nothin. But it is about equal to what U had pretty close, just different med, (Google narcotic convertor) or search it is stronger and my percocet comes in 325 APAP same as narco different mix wish u luck I am on the lyrica now 600 MG day seems better for me than Gaba

Old 06-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

Sorry! Not sure what I was thinking on that one. You are correct.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
(female)

Kerrysqueaky HB User

Well either way I feel great today so I'm very happy about the change. My head nerve damage is not as dull on this though and I've been getting a lot of tinges today so I will for sure try the gaba tonight!

Closed Thread