It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pain Management Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
(male)

428cj HB User
Question Pain Cocktail?

My wife has suffered chronic pain since a work injury in 2005, and she was unable to get treatment for it for almost 9 months. they have now decided to send here to a pain clinic. The Doctor wants to put her on what he calls a pain cocktail. The main concern is that she knows what may be in it but can't know exactly what and how much is in it. The script is to be doubly sealed and if any seal is broken before it goes to their pharmacy the treatment is over. If she wants to know what is exactly in it, the treatment is over. why would they do this? The ingredients are a concern, too. She uses vicodin for pain at this time, it hasn't been increased. The pain cocktail may contain Methodone or lavorphanol, dextromethorphen, topieamate, and tizanidine, and maybe or maybe not tramadol. Can some one help explain this method?

Old 06-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
(female)

Prettyinpink81 HB UserPrettyinpink81 HB UserPrettyinpink81 HB User
Re: Pain Cocktail?

FulIm sorry I can't help you. I have never heard of anything like that (my silly doctor actually discusses new medications with me before prescribing them) One thing that does concern me is going from vicodin to methadone. Hopefully someone else can shed some light on this but from what I have gathered is if more pain management is needed they will switch to something slightly stronger instead of pulling out the big guns. Just a thought, maybe your wife should contact her PCP to make sure the medications are okay.

The Following User Says Thank You to Prettyinpink81 For This Useful Post:
428cj (06-27-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
(female)

Kerrysqueaky HB User

Yea no way would I take anything that I didn't know what it was. No ****** way. It sounds off. Something is not quite right here IMO. No way. No thank you!

The Following User Says Thank You to Kerrysqueaky For This Useful Post:
428cj (06-27-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

It sounds like this pain clinic is entering your wife into a pain "trial" for study. You need to read ALL of the paperwork that she signed...if she agreed to this...Every single word...

I, personally, would not do any type of trial....but there are those that are fine with it.

Also, I would make sure and ask them to see the paperwork where this trial has been ok'd by the FDA.

I don't know of any reputable trial that includes more than one medication because then it's impossible to know what is working and what isn't as well as monitor reactions/side effects.

So...obviously everyone should choose what works for them...but I would be running the other direction.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ilovemycutedog For This Useful Post:
428cj (06-27-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
(female)

blueoceans HB User

Keep running and don't look back.

The Following User Says Thank You to blueoceans For This Useful Post:
428cj (06-28-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Whynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB User

What if she was in an accident or something, she can't tell treating doctors or ER what medications she is taking. I think that is the craziest thing I have ever heard. There is no reason to not know what you are taking. I think it's irresponsible to give patients medication and not be fully aware of WHAT they are taking. What if there are allergic reactions?? It just sounds very off to me. There has to be another place she could go to that is upfront and honest with her. Pain clinics always expect honesty from patients, yet this place isn't honest with the patients. It's supposed to be a two way street. I wouldn't do it!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Whynowthis For This Useful Post:
428cj (06-28-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 08:38 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

This would scare me to no end. Not to know what you were taking. Talk about leading a lamb to the slaughter. I would keep my mouth shut and wave bye bye.

This is probably a trial. And I for one would not take pain meds without knowing what they are, how they interact with the other meds, what the side effects are. Pain meds are powerful narcotics and not something to be taken carelessly.

Please talk this over with your wife and ask for another Pm doctor that is more concerned with your wife as a person with distinct issues that should be addressed on an individual basis. My Pm doc always ALWAYS discusses what meds he would like me to try. It is my right to refuse any med. Please talk this over...

keep us posted!

Old 06-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

No I haven't heard of this, besides the general idea to do a combo therapy of an opiate, muscle relaxer, and adjunct med like an anti depressant or anti seizure med with pain relieving properties. I would definitely want more info. Something doesn't sound right. In addition to the idea that this is some sort of a trial, could this be something where they actually give her a placebo, or a low or high dose to see if she then reports "correctly" what it does for her pain levels?

Although, if she then gives the envelope to the pharmacy, wouldn't they give her the bottle/s of meds labeled with what they are? I don't see how a pharmacy could give a patient something unmarked. Even if it was a compounding pharmacy, it would have to have a label on it. I also think a good pain clinic shouldn't be so anxious to put her on a cocktail of meds...unless she is that rare patient who has actually had all the appropriate diagnostic test, alternate therapies, injections, etc, there is probably some good options before getting on a long acting narcotic.

I would be looking into other pain clinics on your own. Even if she already signed a contract here, as long as she doesn't get meds anywhere else, she can consult with other doctors to see if she can find a better fit. Unless this was something diagnostic, such as in a hospital setting, I don't get the point of this. Honestly I wouldn't trust my doctor not to give me some dose that could kill or harm me. I double check everything. I have caught both doctor and pharmacy errors, although thankfully nothing really bad yet. Still enough to make me glad that I do check doses, interactions, etc. Best wishes.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #9
(female)

luvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB User

WOW!!! That is something that I personally never have been through. I am a Lupus patient of 15 years. I have been going to a PMP for years and never have heard anyone going through what I would like to call "Deal or No Deal". You don't know what your getting you just pray and hope it works. Check to see if you signed a contract and read over it carefully. If I was you all that doctor would see is the smoke coming from my heels because I would TAKE OFF OUT OF THERE! Tortoisegirl asked about the pharmacy giving you something unmarked, No they can't do that. You will know what the meds are after the pharmacy fills it. But I still sounds sketchy. Make sure if you don't know what you are taking, ask the pharmacist. If you continue to go to this doctor. Good Luck to you. I am hoping that you find some relief.
Pancreatic Stent
Osteoarthritis
Stroke
Leukopenia
Migraines
Power Port implant 2010
Total Right Hip Replacement

Old 06-28-2012, 06:54 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

428cj,

1. I would never, under no circumstances put in my body anything I don't know, something not explained to me, something I know nothing about. First of all, I would never trust anyone who wants to give me something without explanation or giving me written information about it.
Why would one do that??? Maybe if this would be the end of the world and he/she would be the only one surviving Dr. Really...

2. Someone mentioned about being on trial. I been on trial. I was explained every tiny step they took; every medicine I would be taken, I got so many booklets and written info on it. Before they start, they would discuss with us all side effects and what to do about it, all phone numbers and contact information.
They wouldn't do anything, or give me anything without talking and explaining what this exactly is and what this is for. They even asked us to take notes during treatments. So I dont think anyone legitimate would take such risk without telling a patient what he/she is taken.

I live life in severe pain from many of my serious conditions; of course on opiates as well. Why would your wife agree to something she not even know? Or trust the DRs who would even offer such "treatment"?

I am on opiates 24/7; meaning Long Acting every 6hr and BT (break through) as needed every 4 hr. Besides that, I am on nerve pain drug, muscle relaxer drug and other drugs for my auto-immune conditions.
I know about each of them and know what reaction may be in case I get sick from them.
If my DR Rx something new to me, i go on Internet to do my own research, before I even fill it at the Pharmacy. If I have any concerns, I may call him to discuss my concerns.
Hard for me to even imagine that some legitimate medical office/clinic would offer some "boogoo" cocktail for a human being without letting him/her know what is in it. I would run away to be honest with you.

Good luck!
Moldova

Old 06-28-2012, 08:59 AM   #11
(female)

Paininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB UserPaininohio HB User

I agree with everyone here, no way Jose! Besides, even if it is a trial, they are required to tell you what the drug could "possibly be". Either the drug that is under study or a "placebo, they just don't tell you which one your taking. I would leave and find a new pain doc ASAP! What if she were to have an allergic reaction? Just way too scary to even think about. Good luck to both of you!

The Following User Says Thank You to Paininohio For This Useful Post:
428cj (06-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #12
(female)

luvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldova View Post
428cj,

1. I would never, under no circumstances put in my body anything I don't know, something not explained to me, something I know nothing about. First of all, I would never trust anyone who wants to give me something without explanation or giving me written information about it.
Why would one do that??? Maybe if this would be the end of the world and he/she would be the only one surviving Dr. Really...

2. Someone mentioned about being on trial. I been on trial. I was explained every tiny step they took; every medicine I would be taken, I got so many booklets and written info on it. Before they start, they would discuss with us all side effects and what to do about it, all phone numbers and contact information.
They wouldn't do anything, or give me anything without talking and explaining what this exactly is and what this is for. They even asked us to take notes during treatments. So I dont think anyone legitimate would take such risk without telling a patient what he/she is taken.

I live life in severe pain from many of my serious conditions; of course on opiates as well. Why would your wife agree to something she not even know? Or trust the DRs who would even offer such "treatment"?

I am on opiates 24/7; meaning Long Acting every 6hr and BT (break through) as needed every 4 hr. Besides that, I am on nerve pain drug, muscle relaxer drug and other drugs for my auto-immune conditions.
I know about each of them and know what reaction may be in case I get sick from them.
If my DR Rx something new to me, i go on Internet to do my own research, before I even fill it at the Pharmacy. If I have any concerns, I may call him to discuss my concerns.
Hard for me to even imagine that some legitimate medical office/clinic would offer some "boogoo" cocktail for a human being without letting him/her know what is in it. I would run away to be honest with you.

Good luck!
Moldova
I am sorry if I am being to personal but I was just wondering what auto-immune disease you are suffering with? The reason I ask is because I have been on here a few weeks but I swear It's like I am reading my own story when I read your post. I am a long time PM patient with Lupus. I was diagnosed 15 years ago. The Lupus has done a wammy on me. It has attacked every one of my organs... Pancrease, Kidneys, liver, etc. Multiple physicians...rheum,garstro,cardi,oncol/hemat,neuro....I could go on but I'm sure you got better things to do. Sorry if I am being to noisy. Hope you are having a good day.
Pancreatic Stent
Osteoarthritis
Stroke
Leukopenia
Migraines
Power Port implant 2010
Total Right Hip Replacement

The Following User Says Thank You to luvinmusiq For This Useful Post:
428cj (06-29-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 01:57 PM   #13
(male)

428cj HB User

What I originally posted made no sense to us. She is trying to get into see her PCP. When she had her first and only visit to this doctor, he really did not explain anything to my wife or I. At the close of the visit he handed us a packet and told my wife to read, and sign it. He did not want us to read it there, because when the receptionist was making another appointment for my wife, she asked my wife if she had signed the contract and release, she said no, then the nurse told her that my wife could sign it at home and bring it back for the next office visit. When we got home and we read the contract and release, it really concerned us. After talking it over, my wife decided that she was not going to participate. The responses that we have recieved here has just confirmed my wifes decision not to participate in the pain management offered by this doctor. The responses by all of you have helped let us know that there are people out there that care. Thank you all for all of your respones. We will keep you all psoted. Thank you so much

Last edited by 428cj; 06-28-2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: need to add more

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: 428cj
blueoceans (06-29-2012), Prettyinpink81 (06-29-2012), Whynowthis (06-29-2012)
Old 06-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Lyvinmucik,
I suffer from JRA since age 12, Lupus and MS was diagnosed in 2007...
Suffer from organs damages as well, heart and lungs included (it called "RA heart", "RA lungs".
Not fun for sure, I read your posts and can say my heart goes out to you. I know where you are coming from.
I am on opiates for the rest of my life too, due to Arachnoidites as complication after spinal fusions (which failed anyway).

Hugs to you and best wishes
Moldova

The following user gives a hug of support to Moldova:
luvinmusiq (07-03-2012)
Closed Thread